Being Bad

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hey everyone ok so I don't know what to do about Emmitt... He is continuously peeing on my couch when he gets up on it, he pees on my bed, has been jumping on my counter tops getting stuff off them, he doesn't listen at ALL.. There is more lol but can't think of it. It's so streesful don't know what to do. Any advice?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sounds like he just needs a friendly reminder of who the boss is. Tank used to counter surf when we first got him. I used to put up a baby gate when I couldn't be in the kitchen with him so he couldn't have access to the counter. Then when we were out there together and he would even lift his head to sniff the counter I would give him a big firm "No!" and get between him and the counter. Eventually the behavior stopped (I also make sure there is nothing tempting him close to the counter edge too though)

My dearly departed Bre used to pee on the beds if she could gain access to them. It seems to be a common bully thing that they will pee on beds. I just didn't let her get on the beds or go in the bedrooms if I wasn't home. Maybe just train Emmitt to stay off the couch and beds. If you don't crate him maybe that would help too. That way when you aren't home he can't do the undesireable behaviors.

Good luck with him...he sure has a sweet face :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like it's back to basics and I agree he needs to be reminded of the house rules and his limitations/boundaries ... being on the sofa can be a reward for him but can also be taken away, you have to set the rules, boundaries and limitations and then be ever so vigilant with the consistency and follow though ... will take work and patience but he can be broken of what sounds like a dominate stand on his part, marking his spots and claiming that they now belong to him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advise above, so I am not going yo add anything. Definitely go bad to the basics and don't let him get on the bed or couch. Just be consistent.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes nothing more to add ...... back to basics and make sure he knows who is boss!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Griz use to pee on the sofa too. so he wasn't aloud on there while the rest of us were. he caught on eventually and now he's good to go.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
You have some great advice, Emmitt is marking territory with the peeing. Ruggles used to get things (food) off the kitchen counters; he responded to a firm no and off. Also, I put stuff out of his reach.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin went pee on my bed once or twice an like 3 times on the couch an once on Grammy's couch I think it was because he was sleeping an woke up an just went pee I guess he couldn't hold it but he hasn't do it in awhile (knock on wood) so I'm sure it will stop soon

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with all the others.... get back to basics and make sure he knows who the pack leader is

OP
EmmittPylate

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thx for all the advice y'all I will definitely have to start all over! Thankfully I crate him while I am at work because my house would be ruined. He has never listened to me he is very dominant. Thanks again y'all!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
sounds like it's back to basics and I agree he needs to be reminded of the house rules and his limitations/boundaries ... being on the sofa can be a reward for him but can also be taken away, you have to set the rules, boundaries and limitations and then be ever so vigilant with the consistency and follow though ... will take work and patience but he can be broken of what sounds like a dominate stand on his part, marking his spots and claiming that they now belong to him.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thx for all the advice y'all I will definitely have to start all over! Thankfully I crate him while I am at work because my house would be ruined. He has never listened to me he is very dominant. Thanks again y'all!

Take a half hour each day and make him work. Basic obedience. Sit, stay, come, ect. Take his bowl up while he is eating. Let him know you are the boss. When you offer a treat make him take it from you without biting your hand off. Never allow him to sit higher than you. Spend 30 mins a day doing stuff like this and other techniques in the training forum and you will see a huge difference in his behavior :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Have you gone to a puppy class with Emmitt? Learning some basic leadership skills will go a LONG WAY in showing Emmitt who's the leader and who's not. If I dog doesn't recognize you as it's pack leader ---who will lead it? The dog will take over that job! Someone has to do it!!!!!

How is he on walks? How often to you walk? How do your walks go? Answering these questions -- and making the appropriate changes --- is an excellent place to start my friend!

OP
EmmittPylate

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Have you gone to a puppy class with Emmitt? Learning some basic leadership skills will go a LONG WAY in showing Emmitt who's the leader and who's not. If I dog doesn't recognize you as it's pack leader ---who will lead it? The dog will take over that job! Someone has to do it!!!!!

How is he on walks? How often to you walk? How do your walks go? Answering these questions -- and making the appropriate changes --- is an excellent place to start my friend!

No I haven't we are actually looking into it. And I walk him to the car we haven't been on a actual walk with him yet due to where we live but we are moving on the 16 th and I plan on walking him 3 or 4 days a wk. He has a harness so he does ok on the walk to the car lol. And yea when I give him treats he does almost bite my hand off.. I read to put peanut butter on my fingers and let him lick it off and if I feel his teeth yell ouch.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
walking is very important, and you should do it in your house if you cant do it outside. Just put on a leash, put in position slighly behind you and ensure he walks along side you. Walking with your dog (you slightly ahead) is very communicative to your dog, as to who is in charge; as well as who goes first thru doorways, or up and down stairs. He should be looking to follow you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.