General Question Toy training

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
I have a 15 month old boy who has a lot of toy trucks, balls, blocks etc.
Sausage thinks they are his, every time he goes for my sons I correct him and show him his. But this is confusing cause Dante loves to throw his toys at sausage. I have a bunch of trucks with missing tires.
What's the best way to train him so he know who's toys are who's?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
First things first; your toddler CANNOT THROW TOYS AT THE DOG. But you probably knew that. :D Throwing the dog's things for the dog though? Fantastic.

Teaching a pup what's his and what ain't is going to take some HUGE patience from you and some viligence in keeping things off the floor while he's learning what's his and isn't his. He's a puppy. He's also a EB. He thinks EVERYTHING is his and for HIM! (Including your toddler) This is a good time to teach the toddler that when we are done playing with toys, we pick them up --- or the dog will eat them and get a tummy ache. I would be less concerned for ruined toys than I would be for expensive and dangerous operations to remove ruined toys from the dog.

Perhaps stick to the very basics on the beginning; teaching the pup and the toddler what one or two toys only belongs to the dog. And if you catch him chewing off GI Joe's head, don't yell at the dog. Yelling at the pup only teaches stealth and -- eventually -- how to run away with the toy. Grab one of the two toys he's authorized to have, go to him and make a "ACK" noise (or Tssst or whatever you want) and give him his toy and remove the other one. When he accepts the HIS toy, BIG PRAISE! Good boy - yes - that's your bone bone - or whatever. He can't speak English but he'll recognize that positive, loving energy!

I'm sure your toddler will really enjoy "Go get Tank's Toy" and then practicing making the dog sit to take the toy GENTLY from the boy's hand. You're also teaching the dog that the toddler is a pack leader and it's never too soon for that!

What fun you are going to have and what a marvelous bond your two boys are going to have when all this good training has taken place! Truly; You are blessed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First things first; your toddler CANNOT THROW TOYS AT THE DOG. But you probably knew that. :D Throwing the dog's things for the dog though? Fantastic.

Teaching a pup what's his and what ain't is going to take some HUGE patience from you and some viligence in keeping things off the floor while he's learning what's his and isn't his. He's a puppy. He's also a EB. He thinks EVERYTHING is his and for HIM! (Including your toddler) This is a good time to teach the toddler that when we are done playing with toys, we pick them up --- or the dog will eat them and get a tummy ache. I would be less concerned for ruined toys than I would be for expensive and dangerous operations to remove ruined toys from the dog.

Perhaps stick to the very basics on the beginning; teaching the pup and the toddler what one or two toys only belongs to the dog. And if you catch him chewing off GI Joe's head, don't yell at the dog. Yelling at the pup only teaches stealth and -- eventually -- how to run away with the toy. Grab one of the two toys he's authorized to have, go to him and make a "ACK" noise (or Tssst or whatever you want) and give him his toy and remove the other one. When he accepts the HIS toy, BIG PRAISE! Good boy - yes - that's your bone bone - or whatever. He can't speak English but he'll recognize that positive, loving energy!

I'm sure your toddler will really enjoy "Go get Tank's Toy" and then practicing making the dog sit to take the toy GENTLY from the boy's hand. You're also teaching the dog that the toddler is a pack leader and it's never too soon for that!

What fun you are going to have and what a marvelous bond your two boys are going to have when all this good training has taken place! Truly; You are blessed!

Can't add anything to this post.... Excellent work Vicaroo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I wish I knew, I have the same problem with my 2 puppies. Lol I look after my 5 year old Grandson about 45 hours a week, so he has a lot of toys at my house, the puppies think all the toys are fair game, Kaden doesn't give them his toys, they just take them. Kaden pays on the floor with his hot wheels cars, or blocks, or floor puzzles, or sometimes he likes to draw and colour, Dozer has pooped out crayons before, lol. I don't know what to do to keep them away from his toys either, I'm constantly taking things out of their mouths. Maybe the only solution is to have a separate play room or area for the toys. That's a little easier for me, as Kaden is 5 , your little guy is still a toddler, and needs constant supervision, so a little harder for you. I'll be watching or any suggestions. Good luck

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Ah, great post! To clarify my son doesn't throw the toys at him but too him :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I guess you have never read the Bully rules, one of them is "If it's on the floor it's mine." :rofl:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Rules, Boundaries & Limitations ... with strict consistency on your part, both your son and Sausage will understand what is ok and what is not ok ... explaining to your son that if he doesn't want Sausage to chew his toy he can't throw it for him because Sausage thinks he wants him to play ... that was probably already mentioned though. I can't preach "Consistency Consistency Consistency" enough for babies with skin or fur.

LOL [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - I totally thought of the Bulldog Rules too

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.