Help Needed! Chewing/eating ALL types of bedding!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] and @Vikinggirl I feel your pain!!! I always say that if it hasn't got a pulse then Linus will eat it. So far he has eaten wood, plastic, material, walls, half a dead mouse, glass .... you get the idea.

Here's a rough summary of our sleeping arrangements for Linus in order of events.

Step 1 ........ notice that Linus has eaten the corner of the black crate liner. Remove crate liner and replace as that one had already had a crack in it.

Step 2 ..... Linus eats second crate liner. Remove crate liner and do NOT replace.

Step 3 ... realise that Linus is now eating the fluffy soft blankets ... remove blankets and put towels in.

Step 4 ... Linus has eaten the towels.

Step 5 ... take out all bedding and all crate so now Linus is on the crate "bars" Notice that Linus is attempting to eat the hardwood floors in between the bars.

Step 6 .... get EXTRA large black crate liner, place on floor. Put a towel on top of black liner and sit crate on top of towel. Hoping this would give him something soft to lie on. Go grocery shopping and return in 30 minutes. Linus has pulled towel through the crate bars and has eaten towel.

Step 7 .... Linus now has to go in crate sitting on EXTRA big black crate liner.

Step 8 .... I feel so guilty that Linus is sleeping like this that on night times I start to put a blanket in and only leave him without a blanket when we are both out.

Step 9 ... Discover this morning that Linus has been secretly eating the blanket during the night ...............

Step 10 ... Return to Step 7 :bang:

Not a great help I know ..... but at least you know you are not alone. Tagging @JAKEISGREAT who has even better stories to share!! :yes:

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Oh my gosh, [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]!!! That's totally not funny but yet your post had me laughing!! Those little buggers love to chew! I think Tonka will be like Linus! He has chewed all the wood on our kitchen cabinets during the day when we are not home too. I might have to go the plywood and carpet route that was suggested! When you say crate liner, you mean those black trays that slide in the bottom that are plastic? If they are larger, he doesn't chew into them?

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Check out kuranda dog beds..... I have yet to get one but I am in the same position as you. Half of my fur kids get no bed at all cuz they eat or mark them. Silly bullies!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Thanks! I will look into this too! :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].....:rofl::laugh:.....makes me even more grateful that Vegas is a lover and not a chewer! He did some small things as a pup, but nothing in years.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oh my gosh, @kazzy220!!! That's totally not funny but yet your post had me laughing!! Those little buggers love to chew! I think Tonka will be like Linus! He has chewed all the wood on our kitchen cabinets during the day when we are not home too. I might have to go the plywood and carpet route that was suggested! When you say crate liner, you mean those black trays that slide in the bottom that are plastic? If they are larger, he doesn't chew into them?

Yes the black plastic trays that slide in and out of the bottom. I bought an extra large one .... much bigger than the size of his crate ... and sit his crate on top of it so he can't get to the edges and chew it. This stops him eating the hardwood floors underneath!!! :blink:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
How long is your bully typically crated for during the day? Possibly the reason for being bored/destructive? Some dogs seem to have a higher patience for being in their room for extended periods of time. Does he also do it at night?

My dog will also eat or pee on anything, so I feel your pain. Remi will have fits and tear into his bedding sometimes pretty aggressively, but within 10 minutes he is passed out.

(Remi loves socks. And boxers. Every morning, he inhales his food and runs back up stairs before I can get him, and when I call him back down, he ALWAYS has something in his mouth. This morning it was my belt :/)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] I did order the washable liner online. K-9 Ballistics advertised on EBN. When Ruggles had turned 4 and was still eating beds I asked the vet when he would stop chewing up everthing and his reply was when he is dead. Some dogs just don't outgrow chewing everything! Good luck with Tonka!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
WOW, and I thought mine were bad. I just thought of something funny, isn't it ironic that you named your EB Linus. That's the character from Charlie Brown who always carried a blanket. Didn't anyone tell your dog that Linus didn't eat his blanket? Lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Someone Say EAT STUFF????

:ohmy: Jake has eaten and swallowed and thrown up and pooped out soooo many things! :cursing:

One of his favorites are the bindings of towels. Any size towels...
Then there are of course, the stuffed mice the cat has.
He especially like the corners of ALL my rugs!
Once he ate the color brochures that the air conditioning man left for us to peruse at our leisure. Ohh we saw them alright! In pieces in his :poo:
He loves bark..attached to trees or just laying around!
He has chewed and swallowed sooo many dog beds, that he only gets near them now IF he is sleeping on one and we are in the room!!!!
He did ALMOST outdo himself, when he jumped on the bed, ate the back half of a chenille pillow sham AND left the pillow looking surprisingly whole!! :eek:

But...The coup de gras is probably the cat scratcher he ate. The VERY EXPENSIVE cat scratcher...So
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 43

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

:ohmy: Jake has eaten and swallowed and thrown up and pooped out soooo many things! :cursing:

Once he ate the color brochures that the air conditioning man left for us to peruse at our leisure. Ohh we saw them alright! In pieces in his :poo:
He has chewed and swallowed sooo many dog beds, that he only gets near them now IF he is sleeping on one and we are in the room!!!!
He did ALMOST outdo himself, when he jumped on the bed, ate the back half of a chenille pillow sham AND left the pillow looking surprisingly whole!! :eek:

But...The coup de gras is probably the cat scratcher he ate. The VERY EXPENSIVE cat scratcher...So

Hahahaha! The look on his face is OMG! WHO WOULD HAVE DONE THAT!

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
How long is your bully typically crated for during the day? Possibly the reason for being bored/destructive? Some dogs seem to have a higher patience for being in their room for extended periods of time. Does he also do it at night?

My dog will also eat or pee on anything, so I feel your pain. Remi will have fits and tear into his bedding sometimes pretty aggressively, but within 10 minutes he is passed out.

(Remi loves socks. And boxers. Every morning, he inhales his food and runs back up stairs before I can get him, and when I call him back down, he ALWAYS has something in his mouth. This morning it was my belt :/)

We don't close Tonka in a crate during the day but we gate him in our kitchen and his kennel/bedding are in the kitchen. So he has room to move but not free run of the apartment. He has plenty of toys/chews in there. He does sleep in his kennel at night (except on weekends he sleeps with us) and to my knowledge he isn't awake and chewing. My boyfriend leaves for work around 9:45am and then I get home around 5:30 so that's how long he is in the kitchen during the day. Het gets a break and time to run around but then we both are gone for an hour and a half or so again in the evenings most nights to go to the gym before we get home and spend the rest of the night with him and he doesn't get put back in the kitchen then until midnight-1:00am since my boyfriend stays up late, so he gets a good amount of time with us in the evenings. I wish I had more time to spend with him during the day! Weekends I have much more time obviously. I am thinking of looking into doggie daycare a couple days a week for him to break up the work week and help expel some energy but I get nervous about taking him there and worry about something happening to him or the daycare not knowing about the bulldog breed etc.....I know, I know, I am like an overprotective parent. :)

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

Yikes! That's good to know! Haha, he looks so cute in that picture, you could never be mad at that litle face! So does Jake not get a bed at all then?

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Ohhh No! He has a bed, at the foot of our bed. But he can't be left alone with it. :eek:

So then what do you do during the day or when you are not home? Does he not get to sleep on anything in his crate or wherever you keep him?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So then what do you do during the day or when you are not home? Does he not get to sleep on anything in his crate or wherever you keep him?

He lounges on the sofa or/and chair as he pleases! He isn't crated any longer. But we do close all the doors to anything he can get into, put up a gate to keep him out of cat food AND remove all pillows! :ROFL:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.