Help Needed! Toilet Training Nightmare

Tuesday123

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
I'm really hoping someone can help!!

We're having an absolute nightmare with little Ralph. He's just coming up to 8 months old at the start of November, and still hasn't grasped the concept of going to the toilet outside. He manages the odd week at a time of no mess, but this week it's got worse than ever and he's going to the toilet at least once during the night, along with having one wee, and is then doing the same thing during the day! We've tried telling him no and showing him the outdoor area where we want him to go and we've tried ignoring him as his breeder suggested it might be an attention seeking tactic.

He has previously been exceptionally good but it's almost as if he was house trained and then sort of forgot. He doesn't go to the toilet in the house when there's somebody at home, but it's almost as if he's too lazy to go outside as he's let out for 15 minutes before bed (and goes for a walk earlier in the evening) and still manages to mess in the house.

I'm confused as to how he can grasp it for a few weeks and then change the next day...

Hope someone has a solution!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I suppose the first thing I would do is eliminate a physical problem? Make sure he is ok. Then ..is Ralph in a crate? I don't have any magic answer for you. What I would do, is go back to square one with him. Act like he is a new pup and treat him accordingly. Call it a "Refresher Course"! And I would put him on a leash while in the house, take him out at the slightest hint of acting like he has to go. Retrain yourself and all human members of the family to really crack down and focus on getting him back on track. Often older pups like Tank do have a teenage rebellion stage and will revert to bad habits. The key is for YOU to not accept it and retrain him. Good Luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Maybe give cookies for good potty. Mine learned real fast, go out and potty-get a cookie. If yours like snacks as much as mine that should help. Positive reinforcement works best.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
With Amber, timing was everything; we get up early (0445am) and feed her, play with her and giver her enough outside time to do her business before we leave at 0640am. Then, someone comes home at lunch time to lets her out and then when we get home at 430pm and feed her and take her outside and our daughter plays with her. After 6pm she doesn't get anymore water and goes outside two or three more times and around 830pm or 9pm her and my daughter are in bed. Amber doesn't get back up until the next morning. If we deviate from her schedule she will have an accident or two but since she has gotten older she has less accidents. Scheduling really made the difference with her, good luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If we deviate from her schedule she will have an accident or two but since she has gotten older she has less accidents. Scheduling really made the difference with her, good luck.

Bingo.

And Just like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said; put a leash on that pup and go back to SQUARE ONE. Establish a strict schedule and then STICK TO THAT SCHEDULE. If you cannot watch him, crate him. And stick to the schedule. This is going to take effort from the humans and patience and praise. Yelling at the dog doesn't help and in fact will make things worse, I guarantee you. Clearly, your dog doesn't know what you expect from him or he'd be doing it.

OP
Tuesday123

Tuesday123

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
We are currently in the process of trying to re-train him and he does seem to be getting it a bit more. I think the major problem may have been my boyfriend's parents letting themselves in to our house and taking Ralph out during the day whenever they felt like it without telling us (this all came out in a conversation last night) and as everyone has said there's obviously not a set routine if they don't turn up at the same time every day and then some days don't even appear at all!!

Thank you for all of your suggestions - the treats idea has worked wonders! :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=5288]Tuesday123[/MENTION] - I'm so glad you've figured out part of the problem! I promise you, once he knows what's expected, he'll be good as gold. My pups are 3 (in March) and 2 (in Feb) and they STILL get a cookie first thing in the morning when they go out - swiftly do their business -- and come right back in. Longer potty breaks and walks happen later and AFTER I've had my coffee! :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree retraining and schedule is the way to go. I have 2 brother and sister EB puppies, they are 8 months now. What worked for us was a strict schedule . In the beginning, it's like you are controlling the dogs potty , because you take them out about every hour or so, that way you are anticipating before they have to go. This is the schedule we used when we first brought them home at 10 weeks old, for the first month, and it worked well. 6 am , wake up take the puppies outside for first of the morning potty, feed them, wait about 10 minutes then let them out again. Take them out about every hour or two, and gave a praise and a treat if potty was done. We fed them again at 2 pm wait 10 mins after eating take them out again, , and 3rd feeding at 7 pm , continue to take them out every hour or two until 11 pm, when they went out for their last walk before we went to bed. We took away their water after 8 pm. I set my cell phone alarm for 2 am, and took them out , usually it was just a pee, then up at 6 am again and take them out. We did this for the first month, then each week extended the day times by an hour, so take them out every 3 hours, so they learned to hold. When they were 6 months old, we stopped the 2 in the afternoon feeding, and fed them 7 am and 7 pm. They could hold now for 4 or 5 hours during the day, and I was able to eliminate the 2 am potty break. They are now 8 months old, and their schedule is 6 am go outside, eat at 7 am, go out about every 5 hours during the day, so around noon, and I get home at 5 from work , and they go out, eat at 7 pm, then last walk around 10 or 11 pm. The beginning takes a lot of time, patience and consistency on our part, but after 5 or 6 months, it gets easier . Scheduling is the key, as they get used to it. Just like a new baby, the beginning is hardest, for feeings, and waking in the night, but as they get older , they get used to a schedule, and it gets easier as they get older. Hang in there and good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.