My bulldog's barking behavioral problems

rufusz

Oct 29, 2012
Sfantu-Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania, Romania
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufusz
Hi guys,

This is my english bulldog, Rufus, he is 4 years old and barks all the time. Maybe he needs attention, but a lot of times he wants a specific thing and if I find out what it is and do it he's happy, but 75% of the time it seams like he barks just for "fun" :) If someone can help me out with this tough guy, please do :)

And the other thing he does is licking my arm, as you can see also in the video :) He starts from the wrist and works his way up and he does it harder and tougher until it almost hurts.

Video.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN.... I know little about this but wanted to welcome you to the site... Maybe he is bored... do you exercise him much? A tired dog is a content dog. Maybe he needs some energy burnt off...????? Told you I know nothing.. LOL... Thanx for joining.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Welcome to the EBN...So many people on here with wonderful advice which I'm sure will be coming your way. Unfortuantely I am not one of them other than to say that Rufus is one fine looking bullie :2thumbs:. One more thing I would like to add is that I felt a great deal of anxiety just watching this video and If I'm feeling it just watching I'm wondering if that is part of what is going on with Rufus. My brother who is a breeder ( not of EB's) told me that the licking thing can be anxiety and OCD driven. As [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] says it may come down to just needing exercise. Again, I'm sure you will receive many replies to this. Good luck.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Welcome to EBN!

Your boy Rufus is adorable and a big boy too. How old is he?

To me, the barking seemed like coming from a place of wanting your attention. He seemed a little restless and after tossing around his stuffed toy, appeared bored and would bark here and there. So, like what was said already, make sure to exercise him on a daily basis if possible. Take him for walks and drives if you can. Does he have some toys where he has to think a little more? like a toy that hides treats or a puzzle for dogs?
As far as the licking goes, if you don't want that behavior then I would just get up and leave him when he does that with a firm "NO". In time he will get the message and associate the licking with you leaving him which probably doesn't make him happy.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
My bully only barks at the cats, but my novice observation from the footage is that he may want you to play with him. Let's see what the veterans have to say...

OP
rufusz

rufusz

Oct 29, 2012
Sfantu-Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania, Romania
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufusz
Hey thx guys for the warm welcome, I was really surprised of these greetings, didn't experience this on other forums. Big :2thumbs:

Rufus is now 3 years old and he is a really big boy in the terms of height and weight compared to other EB's we met at competitions!

We try to exercise him by walking with him and playing ball or just letting the kids play with him. Of course this will tire him and then he sleeps and rests for a while, but every time he wakes up, no matter how tired he was couple of hours before he just comes to you and barks-and barks-and barks and he won't stop unless you play with him all the time.

He doesn't have toys that need some thinking, this is a good idea I will try, instead he has a lot of plush toys which he likes to play pull with him. And of course for these he needs a partner so he'll come to you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN .... Rufus is a VERY handsome boy -- love him!

he is bored and DEMANDING your attention... since he has gotten your attention in the past via barking, he knows that is what he needs to do for you to respond to him. Get a spray bottle and add water to ti,... when he barks and you do not want him to spray him and give a firm NO... he will get the message.

some goo thinking toys are ... treat balls or frozen bones with peanut butter --- keeps them busy for hours.

Also, the licking is an OCD bulldog thing... our girl, Banks does this but only to my boyfriend and our boy did it for hours on end too.

Good luck.... keep us posted and do share more picture of that handsome bully!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=6582]rufusz[/MENTION] - to me the video makes him look bored, when he starts barking maybe like BruceP said take him for a walk it is so very true a tried bullie is a content bullie!! Even though our beloved bulldogs love to sleep and kick back on the sofa with us they still need regular exercise and if they don't get it they can become very demanding and sometimes even naughty. the licking well thats a whole different ball game ... that looks more dominate to me just the way he tries to tower over you and it almost looked as if he tries to mount your arm, and through a training point of view that needs to be nipped in the bud so to speak. He doesn't appear to see you as the pack leader that must be given respect but as "his" property.

M

mabel lou

I would suggest taking him and playing with him prior to the barking, I mean when he is not barking then take him out and play and praise him. Because he did this without the barking. My vet told me that when my girl is licking me which she loves to do it makes the back of her throat feel good and he spoke in medical terminology. But I was very puzzled about this. But anyways they said to say no and walk away when she does it to me, she finally understands what I am saying. So anyways I would try playing with him prior to the barking and give lots of praises and then again maybe many short play dates instead of long tiring ones.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You have to look at it from Rufusz' point of view. Even tho you do disagree with the behavior (that tssst noise - which he knows means SOMETHING) he doesn't stop because he knows you'll keep doing it and -- like everyone else said -- paying attention to him. Negative attention is still attention.

Exercise. Discipline. and THEN Affection. In that order. (Suggest: a Cesar Millan book)

My Bo used to do a real OCD kind of thing with licking the rug. It's like his brain goes on vacation or something he's focused SOLEY ON THAT RUG AND LICKING IT TO DEATH, I CANT STOP I CANT STOP. It's like that. What did I do? First, I disagreed with the behavior (so he knows I don't want that behavior) and then I give him one of his Nylabones and shower him with positive energy. The message is "I don't like that, but I love this". Bo will be two in February. Now, he's easily corrected and redirected if he goes into OCD mode -- which, by the way, he doesn't do as often.

I forgot to add - your dog is stunningly gorgeous! I wanna squish that face and kiss him all day.
But ONLY after a long walk (exercise), leadership (discipline) and THEN affection.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online