Help Needed! Potty during hurricane

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Morning everyone - here is today's first issue :)

Issue: Our yard is pretty flooded and the wind and rain is scaring Remi to the point he simply won't go outside. He just stands there, terrified, or instantly runs back to the house.

So, here is the solution we're trying to put in place:
We have a garden room extension off of our house that we put his pee pad in, and we are trying to get him to go there. We even put a poop bag containing a little of his pooh sitting on the pad so signify he can go there. You have to open a storm door to get to this garden room, so I'm hoping this still resembles "going potty outside." I will follow our usual schedule and hopefully he'll understand.

How are you guys handling this?? Anyone still taking their dog outside? If not, how are you handling peeing inside?

This sucks. It's going to set us back on potty training, but I don't see any other option at the moment. It's getting scary out there, yo!

Will keep you updated if he starts using it. Poor guy; he must be so confused.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This does present a big problem, but sounds like you have a plan. They will be confused, but you just have to make do with what have. That is better than forcing him outside and scaring the crap out of him. No pun intended. Some thing else to think about, if your yard is already flooding and the storm isn't even there yet it might be a good idea to get to high ground to weather the storm. If you need rescued, some shelters will not take dogs. Be safe and I hope the storm passes fast.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm feeling your pain, I'm having the same trouble, minus the room with the potty pad, yes, this will set you back a bit, but ?????? what are we gonna do?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I put on my coat, and walk out with them (we have a 25 x 25 foot fenced in area around the patio) - Hershey wasnt really thrilled or understanding what the weather was all about... Gizmo was Ticked she had to get wet, but she HAD TO GO ! ! ! (she is so funny, watching her run around, 'I gotta :poo: but I dont want to get wet, but I can't :poo: here, I gotta :poo: there, cause that is MY SPOT' )

L

Lucy-licious

Its about doing whatever you have to do to stay safe. :hug:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's pretty ugly here, I don't wanna go out there :eek:
I'd like to get em out there before it gets worse :pouting:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
These Hurricanes have rain 'Bands' (watch any of the weather radars) we just had a break in the rain... Out went the pups !) so just look for a break (even a short one) in the rain. :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I just went outside with Herman, I always go out with him. A tree had fallen in the street and the police were blocking the street. Herman started walking towards the police car like he was going to poop LOL I was thinking "please dont poop, please dont poop" - and he didnt thank goodness.

The he wanted to play, so I dragged him back inside. I've been taking him out there since last night to get used to the wind. And like [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] says I do it when there are breaks in the rain, usually. It hasnt been raining much yet though.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
This is unbelievable. Remi refused to go in the garden room, but did pee a little on the carpet and even pooh'd a little on the same carpet. We've tried taking him outside and in the garden room (it was raining, and he refused to go outside) and he also refused to go in the garden room. Husband took him outside right before lunch since the rain let up a little and he went #1 and #2. INSANITY!!! What the heck is he going to do when it gets worse? Oh, lordy. :p

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon has been going outside still because it's not that bad, he is looking around like what the bleep is going on out here

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I'm taking them out when its not raining bad Franklin will go out but grace she will hold it all night if she had to she's 3 so I'm not to worried about her only if the rain doesn't let up then ill be worried he sleeping now so he will need to go out soon

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online