Other I absolutely HATE Remi (at night)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I am able to distract Herman with his clicker - we just go over his tricks when he's acting up.

I've (kind of) taught him that if he plays too rough he has to go to his room. So if he's getting rambunctious, I said "want to go to your room?" and he stops and runs to his bed in the living room and pretends like he's behaving so he doesnt have to go to his room.

So either change his train of thought to something else to keep his mind busy (not only his body) or stick with one thing until he learns it by being consistent. I found that mixing up too many different methods (yelping, leaving, laying him down, etc) didnt work.

Good luck! Remi seems to be such a sweetie!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is what we call the bewitching hour, they are getting tired and fighting it, c
Kind of like little kids do when they get tired. We just give ours a time out in their crates and before you know it they are passed out.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm not a big fan of squirting bottles and rattling cans. I don't wan't to make my Usko scared of me in any circumstance. What worked for us when he was a puppy was totally ignoring him after he did something not acceptable. Most bullies crave for attention, a lot of them any kind of attention, and when they don't get it, they hopefully try another way to get it. I even climbed on the table to get out of his reach sometimes and when he calmed down, I praised him and played with him and if it got too rough again stop and ignore.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
When I brought my 2 home, they were 8 weeks old, and they would nip when they were playing, a friend of mine at work, has a Golden Retreiver, and she said when hers was a puppy, she would yell Ouch loudly and then walk away from the dog, she said it worked for her. I tried it as well and it worked a little, but my male Dozer was much more stubborn than Blossom, he would jump up and nip at your face, especially when he was playing. We either grabbed his snout in our hand and held his face to the ground and said firmly No Bite , or the loose skin on the back of the neck and said the same thing. It took about a coupe of weeks, to curb them, and they did stop , they would lick instead, as I always Said No Bite , Kisses. I also found that in this time, it helped to handle their mouths and ears, I would pace my hand in their mouth and play with their ears and massage them, when they were just sitting with me on the couch and cuddling , I did this so they would be used to it if a child did it. I have a 5 yer old Grandson, who is here a lot, and I have 4 four year olds, 2 neices and 2 nephews , and they are all cousins, so I wanted to make sure they were gentle around the kids. I also gave and took food and treats from their mouths, and took their food away while they were eating for the same reason . Now they are 9 months old, and never bite , you can take food and items right it of their mouths, and they don't bite, or mind it. You can give them treats right out of your hand, a nd my a grandson gives them treats and doggie cookies, all the time, and they take it from him very gently. I lucked out getting two that like kids and animals. I also made sure when they were small and had their second needles, that they were socialized with other dogs in the neighbourhood, do this only with dogs you know, until they have all their needles. But the younger you start the better, as they get used to it.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I had a rescue Great Dane that had aggression problems when I initially got him. I got a squirt gun and everytime he posted up on me I squirted him right in the nose. When we got Amber she went through a simular aggression situation and I did the same thing with her; squirted her in the nose with vinegar; she stopped her aggression and no longer does it. Something about straight vinegar they don't like, she barks now when she sees me with the squirt gun. Lol; always nice to have the upper hand, good luck.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given lots of great advice and different things to try .......... all I can say is that eventually they do become "couch potatoes"... it just doesn't seem like it right now!! :bigeyes:

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks everyone!!! @Vikinggirl, the most frustrating thing is that I would scream out in pain (for real) and it didn't phase him. In fact, I'm pretty sure it gave him a hard on. :p

The change in the jar thing is the ONLY thing that appears to be working, but we haven't been able to test it out immensely. Remi loves water, so the squirting is out. So far so good... we will play with him tonight and see how it goes. UPDATE TO COME SOON.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea was very chompy too and cries of pain (from me) did little to dissuade her from using me as a teething toy. Bo was the exact opposite. For Bea, I think it was teething pain -- in retrospect -- and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] 's "ignore mode" (after trying redirection) was an additional help for her to grab a giant clue. That takes time and patience, however, as it's not instantaneous like a can rattle or a squirt gun might be. I wouldn't want to use those things in relation to an activity the dog is having with ME, either. I don't know why I don't like that --- but I just don't.

I reserved squirt bottle use to regulate the level of play between Bea and Bo when my verbal cue didn't work right away, which -- of course -- it does now.

Edited to add: I like "Crazy Doggie"...it's fun to watch here and only lasts a very short time. Bo likes to run the circular floor plan like a race track. Bea hates this activity which makes Bo love it even more.

Last edited:
M

mabel lou

I found that Mabel when she wants to bite simply because she is a stinker girl like 24/7 lol that I would hold her head and put my face on top of her head and pinch her with her believing I was biting her and after doing this to different parts of her body, legs shoulders ect... she now knows I am the ALPHA dog in the house. I am in no way shape or form suggesting you bite your dog either nor am I saying I actually bite my dog hahahaha so please don't do that . Now 1st time she just looked at me with such shock it was funny and then she would bite yet again and I repeated the process over again and again that now when she bites because she is still a little stinker butt girl she knows when enough is enough she will get pinched back and an actual pinch that she feels but doesn't know the difference because she thinks I am biting her. Now that I have made it very clear I am ALPHA dog of this house she began now licking my hand after I did this to her. My gbaby has watched how I do this and how Mabel reacts and she was amazed at how I proved myself to my dog with a very clear understanding that she is part of my pack over here. You should try it because it actually works. A good stern pinch is very similiar to a bite or at least Mabel thinks so. We play a lot but she is a dog and I had to think like a dog lol to come up with a solution. Works for me and Mabel:aaargh:

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I had this problem (and still do sometimes) with Tonka. I tried the laying on the back to assert dominance but he squirms and wriggles relentlessly and tries to bite my arm and hand. Once I let go he still keeps being naughty anyway. I also tried yelping and then turning my back to him which feels ridiculous but I have heard it can work. It did get his attention and make him curious for a moment but then he would keep at it. I never tried the pennies in a can, though. What worked for us was gating him in our kitchen for a "timeout" to calm down. He didn't like being away from his "pack" members. I didn't want to put him in his kennel for timeouts because I didn't want that associated with any negativity. It is his safe haven and bed where he sleeps during the day so I didn't want him to think of it as a bad place. I worried that he would think the kitchen was a bad place (he is gated in there during the day with his kennel inside the kitchen) but we didn't have a problem with that. I agree with [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION], if you are going to do the timeout, make sure you don't coddle them when you release them! I would do this to Tonka and pet him and stuff while talking to him because he would come over to me with his ears back looking all sad and wriggle his butt and gaze up at me looking for approval like he wanted to be sure I forgave him and still loved him. Well this kind of diminished the kitchen as being a punishment. I used to just say the word kitchen and he would behave but now he doesn't even care anymore. Now when he gets timeout I try to just open the gate and let him out without saying a word but it's SO hard because he still wiggles over to me looking all sad and wanting my approval! Good luck to you!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
[MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION], this is very similar to what I'm experiencing - THANK YOU. Pennies in the can seems to be working, but a good thing to remember, don't coddle immediately afterwards.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon went through this phase too, we just waited it out, although I do still have multiple scars from puppy dagger teeth

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
It's so hard to do, [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION]! He will follow me around until I speak to him, with his ears back looking all sad and nuzzle his head by my legs and it kills me not to give in to him!!! haha

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Update: the loud noise, in this case, since my jar broke, I'm using candles in a small wicker basket, have almost eliminated Remi's evening bullying. The improvement has been huge in just a matter of days. I am actually beginning to trust him near my face, to always give me gentle kisses, and this has been HUGE in bonding us closer. Thanks for all the amazing tips and advice. So far so good...

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Update: This whole behavior is almost gone completely. I trust him 80% not to bite the crap out of me. This can only really go up with time. YAY!!! A massive thank you to all of you guys.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online