Other I absolutely HATE Remi (at night)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Okay, so I adore Remi (16 weeks). You guys know that. Most of the time he is pretty epic and totally sweet. I have gotten through the biggest emotional hurdles I think. However, at night... :nope: I absolutely loathe his personality. He is super hyper and tries to bite us and hump us all night long. I know he's going through his dominant stage, but it's a killer!! He will bite and latch on. You basically have to pry him off of you and sometimes blood is drawn. He can be distracted with a toy. But honestly, the only thing there is to do at this stage is not sit on the floor with him. Else he'll just keep coming for you regardless of showing him a new toy, ignoring him, or putting him on his side. I'm at the point where I don't feel like he's safe around children. My father in law was playing with him today, and he bit him so hard in the throat that blood started dripping. I felt terrible!!!!The severity of the injuries are getting worse, but the nighttime hyperness is not lasting as long as it was a couple of weeks ago. I just really hate that I can't cuddle with him right now. I just can't trust him not to nip the crap out of me or someone else. Any other tips you have, let me know! Else I'm just correcting him with a toy and getting the hell out of dodge!

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Pennies in a can. Shake real loud and yell "NO". There is a video on here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Pennies in a can. Shake real loud and yell "NO". There is a video on here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

OMG that would be great. It's kind of sad when you're terrified of your puppy... LOL!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION]........we need your video. I'm going to look for her on facebook and send her over with her video.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Pennies in a can (or nuts & bolts) work great and it cuts down on your frustration of yelling at him. It worked wonders for me when Wilson and Jack were younger. Jack still doesn't like the can. Shake the can and say NO. You also try a spray bottle and squirt him. Hey what's a bit of water? Works for Wilson and Jack too, not so much with Emma as she welcomes the water and hopes it ends up in her mouth. If he humps or nips you can also grab an area of the nap of his neck and push him off and with a very stern NO. Good luck! :)

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Until I can get Sheila here....another thing is clanging pot lids together to stop the behavior.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Got it. So basically scare the crap out of him.

The nape of the neck and a firm no works wonders any other time - but something about the time right before bed he is a total nutcase. It's funny because we use the jar/change for our cats, but it never occurred to us for the dog. Duh! Thanks guys.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola used to get all riled up at bedtime..i called it crazy eyes. i agree with everyone else that the nipping is a problem that hasto be dealt with directly but in general..you've got to wear them out way before bedtime!!! i mean playing fetch for an hour then a walk then some more fetch then bedtime. crazy eyes used to make me cry butprevention is key

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin is crazy before bed he has grace he plays with though its so funny how he is he tucks his butt an runs wild its hilarious he will bounce off everything usually I just let him go until he starts barking but the biting is bad you shouldn't let anybody play on the floor until you fix it what I did when Franklin would bite me is yelp really loud like his litter mates an he doesn't bite me at all anymore good luck

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I roll Gizmo or Hershey onto their backs, and basically hold them there for a few minutes, to assert my dominance in the 'pack' they will submit, and just wait until they have, count to 20 AFTER you think they have submitted (stopped squirming) if they start up again, REPEAT. They are trying to set Dominance... and YOU are the pack leader.

When I roll them over, my forearm is on their bellies and my hand is up by their throats, FIRM but not Forceful. Just like a dominate member of a pack would do (watch the Discovery Channel, wild dogs in Africa etc :p) I also 'nip' at their butts (little pinches) when they are getting that way. They soon learn who's boss (Gizmo is giving me that, 'Yea right, you are the boss look, right now' LOL )

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION] , You should consider taking him for an evening walk. They sleep most of the day and at nite they get a little "crazy". Walking lets them drain some of that energy and lets them concentrate on the walk and the smells. As for the nipping or bitting , what I did with Mocha when she went through that stage was remove her from us by putting her in her crate for a time out. I would firmly say NO ,then I would pick her up and into the crate. After about 8 minutes I would let her out. I didnt say "oh am sorry, you be a good girl now" I just simply opened the crate and she would come out on her own. Do not allow people to put their faces in his face either, very dangerous cause they will jump up and nip. Of course if you have little kids, all play with the dog needs to be supervised and teach your kids also to not play with the dog as the dog is not a toy. It takes time to train a dog just like it takes time and energy with toddlers.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I roll Gizmo or Hershey onto their backs, and basically hold them there for a few minutes, to assert my dominance in the 'pack' they will submit, and just wait until they have, count to 20 AFTER you think they have submitted (stopped squirming) if they start up again, REPEAT. They are trying to set Dominance... and YOU are the pack leader.

When I roll them over, my forearm is on their bellies and my hand is up by their throats, FIRM but not Forceful. Just like a dominate member of a pack would do (watch the Discovery Channel, wild dogs in Africa etc :p) I also 'nip' at their butts (little pinches) when they are getting that way. They soon learn who's boss (Gizmo is giving me that, 'Yea right, you are the boss look, right now' LOL )

Can you come to my house and do this with Orion? She will submit and stop squirming......but she remembers. She KNOWS. I can keep her there for 5 minutes and she can be in a complete calm and relaxed state. In fact, I will even remove my hands and arm and she will remain there. As soon as she rolls over....she will tackle Vegas again. She is a stinker.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Things that worked and are still working ( for the most part) for us:
1) pennies in a can - awesome distraction
2) Time outs - we found removing him from the situation was the only way to stop him when he got stuck in lunge and bite mode. In the bathroom or his crate until he was quiet and visibly calm, usually 5-10 min.
3) I found it i grabbed him and held him under his armpits in front of me with his bum on my lap and him looking me in the eyes ( kind of sitting up like a gopher) and making him look me in the eyes and sternly saying NO worked well to snap him out of it. He would bobble his head around to try his best not to make eye contact but his body always stayed limp. I founs this helped to calm him down as well as with dominance issues. ( not so easy to do now that hes 9 mths and 55lbs! But he doesnt need it so much anymore lol)

Hope this maybe gave you some ideas!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Guys, seriously thank you all for these wonderful tips. Hilariously ;)Remi is even worse when we tried to wear him out. We call it "getting him riled up." In good weather, I will literally walk him 3 times a day, in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening. We play with him in the yard and on the floor inside. He still totally gets the crazy eyes!!!!!! He's like an energizer bulldog. @RaRett @LisaMarie @aprilemari @TonkaTruck28

@sheila - thank you soooo much for finding this video for me!! Watching it now...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online