Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I absolutely HATE Remi (at night)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I absolutely HATE Remi (at night)

I had this problem (and still do sometimes) with Tonka. I tried the laying on the back to assert dominance but he squirms and wriggles relentlessly and tries to bite my arm and hand. Once I let go he still keeps being naughty anyway. I also tried yelping and then turning my back to him which feels ridiculous but I have heard it can work. It did get his attention and make him curious for a moment but then he would keep at it. I never tried the pennies in a can, though. What worked for us was gating him in our kitchen for a "timeout" to calm down. He didn't like being away from his "pack" members. I didn't want to put him in his kennel for timeouts because I didn't want that associated with any negativity. It is his safe haven and bed where he sleeps during the day so I didn't want him to think of it as a bad place. I worried that he would think the kitchen was a bad place (he is gated in there during the day with his kennel inside the kitchen) but we didn't have a problem with that. I agree with @LisaMarie, if you are going to do the timeout, make sure you don't coddle them when you release them! I would do this to Tonka and pet him and stuff while talking to him because he would come over to me with his ears back looking all sad and wriggle his butt and gaze up at me looking for approval like he wanted to be sure I forgave him and still loved him. Well this kind of diminished the kitchen as being a punishment. I used to just say the word kitchen and he would behave but now he doesn't even care anymore. Now when he gets timeout I try to just open the gate and let him out without saying a word but it's SO hard because he still wiggles over to me looking all sad and wanting my approval! Good luck to you!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Meggs19, this is very similar to what I'm experiencing - THANK YOU. Pennies in the can seems to be working, but a good thing to remember, don't coddle immediately afterwards.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Bacon went through this phase too, we just waited it out, although I do still have multiple scars from puppy dagger teeth

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

It's so hard to do, @ModernFemme! He will follow me around until I speak to him, with his ears back looking all sad and nuzzle his head by my legs and it kills me not to give in to him!!! haha

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Update: the loud noise, in this case, since my jar broke, I'm using candles in a small wicker basket, have almost eliminated Remi's evening bullying. The improvement has been huge in just a matter of days. I am actually beginning to trust him near my face, to always give me gentle kisses, and this has been HUGE in bonding us closer. Thanks for all the amazing tips and advice. So far so good...

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Update: This whole behavior is almost gone completely. I trust him 80% not to bite the crap out of me. This can only really go up with time. YAY!!! A massive thank you to all of you guys.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Update: the loud noise, in this case, since my jar broke, I'm using candles in a small wicker basket, have almost eliminated Remi's evening bullying. The improvement has been huge in just a matter of days. I am actually beginning to trust him near my face, to always give me gentle kisses, and this has been HUGE in bonding us closer. Thanks for all the amazing tips and advice. So far so good...
    Yay Remi. Pretty soon he's going to be all growed up and you'll be wondering where that rambunctious, naughty little puppy went.....sniff!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I was having a problem, not with my two biting us, but when they play with each other, they often were getting too rough and biting each other really hard, and biting and tugging at each others ears. I wasn't able to break them apart. I read on this site about the pennies in the jar, I watched the video and was going to make one, but then I read a story from someone, that the jar broke and there was glass everywhere, so I decided not to use a glass jar. I was going to put some pennies in a empty pop can, and just tape up the opening, but I hadn't done it yet, and was sitting on the couch one night, and Bulldozer and Blossom started getting really rough with each other, so I grabbed my Vitamin bottle and shook it, the sound of the shaking vitamins startled them, and they totally stopped. So either a pop can or a plastic bottle can be used, you could even use an empty medicine bottle with anything that will make a noise, pennies, screws, nuts, bolts, etc. and by using the pop can or a plastic bottle, it would be totally safe from shattering or breaking

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads