Help Needed! Re-Potty training?

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
Ok so my 1.5 year old bully likes to randomly pee in the house. I picked up a black light as there were some spots we knew he had pottied at, and a handful more that we didn't have any idea when or why. We have caught him a few times and he "knows" he is trouble but it still seems to happen every now and then. He's not a very vocal dog when he has to go outside either, he just sits and bakes in the sun until we let him out, or he sneaks off to pee in another room. any way I can retrain hm to get this figured out? We always praise him when he goes outside and rewards with a treat upon coming back inside. Thanks in advance!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I would challenge you to "search" in this forum for comments on this topic and prepare to read until you're eyes bleed. ha ha ha You aren't the only person with this problem! Good news for you though: the solution is simple: Back to Basics.

1) Establish a routine and STICK TO IT.
2) Don't take your eyes off the dog for a minute -- leash him to your ankle if you must -- and crate him when you can't. This is all done with postive energy - not paranoid "OMG I GOTTA WATCH THE DOG OR HE'LL PISS" kind of negative energy. I cannot stress this point enough.
3) Keep cookies or another high value treat in your pocket and when you do go out (remember, you are sticking to your pee schedule like GLUE) reward when he eliminates. Give him lots of good energy from you and praise.

Don't yell, punish, freak out, spaz or hit the dog when he does pee or you find pee later. If he's peed in the house, it's your fault actually because you are potty training and you did not watch him closely enough.

Keep this up until he gets it. I guarantee, if he genuinely understood what you wanted from him, he wouldn't be doing this. And don't worry....you are not alone. With some concerted effort from his human pack leaders, Sirrius will be back on the program like a PRO!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think they tend to go thru this phase, mine did. Kept busting them and they eventually just stopped thankfully.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.