Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16

Thread: Bell ringing

  1. #1
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Bell ringing

    Okay, so Remi successfully figured out what the bell means - "I want to go outside." Now he is ringing that thing left and right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we just came back in from being outside!!

    The issue is we don't have a fenced in yard, so I have to stop what I'm doing and take him out. I can't just let him run wild. What's the best way to leave him out safely? Line? Pen? Ideas?

    Anyone else having this issue of ringing the bell other than potty time?

  2. #2
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    I wouldn't want to take a chance of leaving him out alone for a few reasons, a) He could get off his lead or escape from a pen, which could endanger him from running away, or getting hit by a car and b) Someone could dog nap your baby if they see him outside by himself and c) He could eat or get into something and you wouldn't know it, or see him doing it to stop him. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but English Bulldogs are so cute, people will steal them.

  3. #3
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I wouldn't want to take a chance of leaving him out alone for a few reasons, a) He could get off his lead or escape from a pen, which could endanger him from running away, or getting hit by a car and b) Someone could dog nap your baby if they see him outside by himself and c) He could eat or get into something and you wouldn't know it, or see him doing it to stop him. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but English Bulldogs are so cute, people will steal them.
    I am totally paranoid about someone nabbin' my babe. But how do I tell him no, we just went outside, while not discouraging him from using the bell? It's a tough one.

  4. #4
    I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Heff102's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Location
    Humboldt, SK
    Posts
    543
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Okay, so Remi successfully figured out what the bell means - "I want to go outside." Now he is ringing that thing left and right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we just came back in from being outside!!

    The issue is we don't have a fenced in yard, so I have to stop what I'm doing and take him out. I can't just let him run wild. What's the best way to leave him out safely? Line? Pen? Ideas?

    Anyone else having this issue of ringing the bell other than potty time?

    Put up a fence?????????

    We have a solid fence you can not see through and all gates are pad locked. Plus I have a big gun!

  5. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    That is a tough one, is your yard a front one or a backyard? Do you have a large enough window where you can see him? Are you near a busy road, Do you have a lot of people passing by, or is your neighbourhood quiet? Without a fence though I would be nervous.

  6. #6
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    I have a bricked in backyard and pad locks on the doors and still don't let Amber outside unsupervised. There is an alley on the other side of our wall and I am always worried about someone throwing things in the yard that has the potential to cause harm (she could ingest something without my knowledge). I wouldn't take the chance with or without the fence. lol; I would probably get rid of the bell and be done with that form of training. We have cats too so there was never an option of training with a bell in our house.

  7. #7
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    That is a tough one, is your yard a front one or a backyard? Do you have a large enough window where you can see him? Are you near a busy road, Do you have a lot of people passing by, or is your neighbourhood quiet? Without a fence though I would be nervous.
    We have a quarter acre in a semi-quiet neighborhood - I would say a car every 5 minutes, and about the same number who walk their own dogs up and down the street every day. We are getting an alarm system though because we think someone may have been staking out our house one day :/ We are also on a corner lot.

  8. #8
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Then I wouldn't really chance it, if you can't watch him, and he's not secure, especially with the cars. Not worth the worry, or chances of him getting hurt or running off.

  9. #9
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    He seems to have calmed down and using it legitimately now. I just cannot believe we went from peeing in a crate to successfully ringing a bell to use the bathroom in a matter of 8 hours.

  10. #10
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2118

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Smart boy

  11. #11
    Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    882
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Smart boy
    Wait until I see that "trainer" again!

  12. #12
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1556

    Default Re: Bell ringing

    Sounds like he is a smart boy for learning so fast, but I'm like everyone else and I would not leave him alone. we used to live in a house with a pool and no grass back there, so we had to take them out front on a leash, rain or shine.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •