Help Needed! Bell ringing

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Okay, so Remi successfully figured out what the bell means - "I want to go outside." :rolleyes: Now he is ringing that thing left and right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we just came back in from being outside!!

The issue is we don't have a fenced in yard, so I have to stop what I'm doing and take him out. I can't just let him run wild. What's the best way to leave him out safely? Line? Pen? Ideas?

Anyone else having this issue of ringing the bell other than potty time?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I wouldn't want to take a chance of leaving him out alone for a few reasons, a) He could get off his lead or escape from a pen, which could endanger him from running away, or getting hit by a car and b) Someone could dog nap your baby if they see him outside by himself and c) He could eat or get into something and you wouldn't know it, or see him doing it to stop him. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but English Bulldogs are so cute, people will steal them.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I wouldn't want to take a chance of leaving him out alone for a few reasons, a) He could get off his lead or escape from a pen, which could endanger him from running away, or getting hit by a car and b) Someone could dog nap your baby if they see him outside by himself and c) He could eat or get into something and you wouldn't know it, or see him doing it to stop him. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but English Bulldogs are so cute, people will steal them.

I am totally paranoid about someone nabbin' my babe. But how do I tell him no, we just went outside, while not discouraging him from using the bell? It's a tough one.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Okay, so Remi successfully figured out what the bell means - "I want to go outside." :rolleyes: Now he is ringing that thing left and right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if we just came back in from being outside!!

The issue is we don't have a fenced in yard, so I have to stop what I'm doing and take him out. I can't just let him run wild. What's the best way to leave him out safely? Line? Pen? Ideas?

Anyone else having this issue of ringing the bell other than potty time?

Put up a fence?????????

We have a solid fence you can not see through and all gates are pad locked. Plus I have a big gun!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That is a tough one, is your yard a front one or a backyard? Do you have a large enough window where you can see him? Are you near a busy road, Do you have a lot of people passing by, or is your neighbourhood quiet? Without a fence though I would be nervous.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have a bricked in backyard and pad locks on the doors and still don't let Amber outside unsupervised. There is an alley on the other side of our wall and I am always worried about someone throwing things in the yard that has the potential to cause harm (she could ingest something without my knowledge). I wouldn't take the chance with or without the fence. lol; I would probably get rid of the bell and be done with that form of training. We have cats too so there was never an option of training with a bell in our house.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
That is a tough one, is your yard a front one or a backyard? Do you have a large enough window where you can see him? Are you near a busy road, Do you have a lot of people passing by, or is your neighbourhood quiet? Without a fence though I would be nervous.

We have a quarter acre in a semi-quiet neighborhood - I would say a car every 5 minutes, and about the same number who walk their own dogs up and down the street every day. We are getting an alarm system though because we think someone may have been staking out our house one day :/ We are also on a corner lot.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Then I wouldn't really chance it, if you can't watch him, and he's not secure, especially with the cars. Not worth the worry, or chances of him getting hurt or running off.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
He seems to have calmed down and using it legitimately now. I just cannot believe we went from peeing in a crate to successfully ringing a bell to use the bathroom in a matter of 8 hours.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he is a smart boy for learning so fast, but I'm like everyone else and I would not leave him alone. we used to live in a house with a pool and no grass back there, so we had to take them out front on a leash, rain or shine.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: yeah I would not have him outside by himself there have been so many people lately stealing ebd I would never leave mine alone I would be to scared

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
:butterfly: yeah I would not have him outside by himself there have been so many people lately stealing ebd I would never leave mine alone I would be to scared

This is becoming more and more common lately. What gives???

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: you can sell them for 2,000 - 4,500 just with a stolen dog It's horrible what people will do for money. People don't want to get jobs they rather lie cheat an steal to get whatever they want its horrible people will do thing like take a dog from someone to make money I hate it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online