Help Needed! Switching to Outside Pottying?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Tilly has had a Pet Loo on the balcony because I live in an apartment and didn't want her going in the potty areas of the complex until she's had all her shots.

Now that she is all set with them, I don't know how to teach her that we now potty outside.

I will keep the Pet Loo because it's convenient, but it's AWFUL to clean, and I'd rather not have to do it. :tongue:

Right now, the only time I take her to her Loo is when we wake up, when she's let out of her crate (we crate her when we leave), and before bed. I usually just leave the balcony door open while we're home, so Tilly takes herself potty. She is very reliable with taking herself out, so we're not on a real schedule.

She's 4 months old, how many times (and when!) should I be taking her outside to try to teach her the new potty place?

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
You're probably gonna have to start over :( It might be like retraining her because you're now training her to go in a different place. But the good thing is she knows to not go in the house now, that shouldnt change!

I usually take Herman out when I wake up (before his breakfast), about 2 hours after breakfast (he's 7 months old now, so he can hold it a little long), afternoon, then pre-dinner and post-dinner, and the before bedtime. She wont be able to hold it too long since she's so young. So maybe start with taking her out after she wakes up, when you crate her and before bed?

BTW I'm not in an apartment, but I always take him out since I dont have a fenced yard.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I would start taking her out every two hours an give her lots of praise when she does go outside good luck

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So every time you would take her to her loo or when you think you know when she may have to go, as you should kind of have a schedule down. Take her outside instead. She will eventually get it. Some people even train them to ring a bell when they need to go outside.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.