General Question Jumping!

GoGween

Jan 31, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Ok, so Spunky is about 11 months old and she just doesn't seem to get the meaning to "off." We've been consistent with that word meaning get your butt off the couch, our persons or anything else. However, it's almost like she knows it means the get off, she just doesn't want to listen (bully stubbornness). We've been through an 8 week puppy obedience course in which she was an absolute doll, literally the teachers pet lol. So she can listen and obey, sit, down, stay, roll over, come etc. It's just the off and constant jumping/excitement and energy she does not get. Has anybody else had this issue or any luck?

Not to mention its terrible on her joints and hips to be constantly over reaching as jumping!

Don't Fight The Spunk!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes, you are correct, it is bad on the joints. and as she fills out, she may grow out of it. Mine have any way. Maybe someone else can help you for now. It is annoying, not may peeps come to my house. It's covered in bully's.:whistle:

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I have a question...when you say "off" and she doesn't listen, do you pick her up and put her down anyway or do you push her off the couch? If not, then this word has lost all meaning and you'll need to retrain this behavior using a different cue.

For people I would station train her. For example, if you know someone is going to come in the door and she won't be able to take the excitement, put her leash on, bring her away from the door and put her in a sit/stay. Reward her for sitting as the door opens, just keep feeding her, until shes forgotten someones come in because of the awesome food. You can train this by saying "go to your ____" either a mat, or bed, or some place to station.

For the couch or bed or furniture, when shes on the couch tell her "floor" and get her to make the decision herself. Maybe sit on the floor, or offer treats, or allow her to choose to go to the floor on her own. When she's there, give attention/treats/rewards.

Good luck :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy was something of a jumper if anybody came round, or if one of us came home from work and he did grow out of it. which is good because no amount of training made a difference!! :blink:

Linus is the same .......... if not worse ........ because he can REALLY jump!!! If i am stood up and he wants my attention he can actually jump high enough and put his mouth gently around the top part of my arm before he descends!! And I'm 5' 6" tall!!!

So I'm hoping that Linus grows out of it too because as a typical bully he too chooses not to listen to me! :blush2:

OP
GoGween

GoGween

Jan 31, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thx an we've trained with little Spunks, now big Spunks she understand "off," and of course nobody is perfect but 90% of the time an "off" comes with a firm scruff grab and a nice firm placement on the floor and occasionally some treats as we don't want to get treat dependent. She does it for attention as to be expected and the behavior is when she's bored with assortment of toys we chose to put out for her.

As for the door, we could stand to work there, we usually crate with company coming over, otherwise we do leash her or even "sequester" her to another section of the home when the door opens. She's even getting better at humans first and dogs second through the door, but it's a work in progress lol!

Don't Fight The Spunk!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.