General Question Walking your adult bully

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Evening, folks! We currently have a 14 week puppy and he walks so awesome, even up to 3 walks a day without seeming to tire.

For those of you who have a bully who is 2 years and older, I have some questions for you about your adult bully...

Do they (still) like to walk? For how long can they walk before they've had enough? Assuming weather is pretty favorable.
Do you walk them in at all in the heat? (summer)
Do you walk them at all in the cold? (winter)
Do you give them booties/shoes to wear in any condition?
Where do you like to walk your bully?

THANKS SO MUCH!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Evening, folks! We currently have a 14 week puppy and he walks so awesome, even up to 3 walks a day without seeming to tire.

For those of you who have a bully who is 2 years and older, I have some questions for you about your adult bully...

Do they (still) like to walk? For how long can they walk before they've had enough? Assuming weather is pretty favorable.
Do you walk them in at all in the heat? (summer)
Do you walk them at all in the cold? (winter)
Do you give them booties/shoes to wear in any condition?
Where do you like to walk your bully?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Do they (still) like to walk? For how long can they walk before they've had enough? Assuming weather is pretty favorable - that depends on how well the dog can breath. A free breater can usually walk as far as you want.

Do you walk them in at all in the heat? (summer) - Again, that varies an the bully and how you define heat. I usually see it referenced as above 80 degrees F

Do you walk them at all in the cold? (winter) - By many folks standards it doesn't get cold where I live so the winter is the best time for walking here

Do you give them booties/shoes to wear in any condition? I do not put shoes or clothes on my animals. They are designed to not need them

Where do you like to walk your bully? Anywhere I feel like as long as they are legally allowed there.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Charlotte likes going on walks, we usually go about a mile and a half/two mile loop once a day
Do you walk them in at all in the heat? (summer) I walk her at nighttime in the summer, but I'm in the north so the evenings are often in the high 70s, low 80s, rarely 90s.
Do you walk them at all in the cold? (winter) we have a lot of snow and salt, so I don't want to take her on long walks through the winter.
Do you give them booties/shoes to wear in any condition? no, she won't wear them.
Where do you like to walk your bully? we walk from my house to a very nice park, around the park, and back home.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Our walk is the highlight of Ruggles' day. We live in the Wallowa Mountain Range in N.E. Oregon, so in the summer we walk before the sun gets up over the Mountains. It is usually upper 40s, lower 50s. I have walked my healthy Bulldogs as far as 5 miles. There are always clean lakes, rivers, streams for drinking and wading. Mack (9) went on walks until the day he died. He had a heart condition that was discovered when he was 7+ so we let him set the pace. Our walks were shortened to under a mile. I tried to put shoes on one of my Bulldogs (Muggs) one time. He got them off much faster than I got them on him. We walk year around. We are retired so when the weather is bad we wait until there is a break to walk.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Only a couple of ours like to go on walks, so we don't walk them that much. If we do it is when it is cool and we don't go that far. It gets pretty hot here so we never walk them when it is hot out, that is a good way to loose a bully to heat stroke. It doesn't get that cold here to have to put anything on their feet.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Our walk is the highlight of Ruggles' day. We live in the Wallowa Mountain Range in N.E. Oregon, so in the summer we walk before the sun gets up over the Mountains. It is usually upper 40s, lower 50s. I have walked my healthy Bulldogs as far as 5 miles. There are always clean lakes, rivers, streams for drinking and wading. Mack (9) went on walks until the day he died. He had a heart condition that was discovered when he was 7+ so we let him set the pace. Our walks were shortened to under a mile. I tried to put shoes on one of my Bulldogs (Muggs) one time. He got them off much faster than I got them on him. We walk year around. We are retired so when the weather is bad we wait until there is a break to walk.

I tried to give you rep but it wouldn't let me. I loved this post.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Sometimes we're nervous gravel rocks on trails can hurt Remi's feet, but no sores or anything so far. Thanks for answers guys!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.