Help Needed! eating puppy pads

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
Well I had a close call today. I get home for my break an Ares ate 2 puppy pads. There was upchuck everywhere. So I scoop him up an off to the vet we go. After some tests. It comes back that he puked it all back up so I'm good there. Dodged that bullet anyway. I have used pads since I got them. An he will rip them yo on occasion but never ate them before. I get home about every 3-4 hrs every day from work ( my job is very supportive of per owners ) just encased there are any accidents while I'm away. My question is has anyone else had this problem should I just do away with them I don't really like the fake grass because I can never get it all the way clean . Any tips would be appreciated . In hind sight it was kinda funny I'm a pretty straight faced kinda guy put I got a little crazy there for a minute. It's kinda funny to know all it takes for me to get a little emotional is if my puppys get sick lol

OP
lovemybullys

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
He is very good at using the pads. If he leaves them alone . I've even put fooey bitter spray them but it just absorbs in so that didn't work . An he's 11 weeks so not sure if its a puppy thing .

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I can't use them. I've a 2 year old mini-bull who tears them up gleefully. I think he's teaching the pup to join in.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Duct tape them down; that may work. Puppy pads for Amber meant play time but duct tape,lots of it worked for a little bit but at some point it was a waist of time and I would just have to clean the pen. In November Amber will be a year old and I think I let her have run of the front side of the house in the end of July or first of August because she was destroying the pads and the bottom of the pen. Once out of the pen she was house broken fast because her concentration wasn't just on the pad but if I gave them to her now she would destroy them. She loves paper, books, magazines, toliet paper, anything that makes noise and shreds. Good luck.

OP
lovemybullys

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
Sounds like I'm off the pads then. I'm there often enough that there's not to many accidents

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Do you have the puppy pads that clip into that plastic tray underneath? That's what we had for Tonka and eventually he started shredding them up as well. We just started not clipping in the padding part and left the plastic tray. He kept going on the plastic tray since he still remembered that's where the pad had been. That way it was confined to one area still, yet not as easy as cleaning up the pad obviously.

OP
lovemybullys

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
No I just had the regular pads that went on the floor but a tray of some sort is a good idea

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you have the puppy pads that clip into that plastic tray underneath? That's what we had for Tonka and eventually he started shredding them up as well. We just started not clipping in the padding part and left the plastic tray. He kept going on the plastic tray since he still remembered that's where the pad had been. That way it was confined to one area still, yet not as easy as cleaning up the pad obviously.

That's what I do as well. I just make sure not to use the enzyme cleaner on it when I clean it so it keeps the go here scent.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
No I just had the regular pads that went on the floor but a tray of some sort is a good idea

My guy just pulls it apart while it's in the tray. Sice it hold st sides down it might be easiser for him to tear the middle out. I don't know.:rolleyes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
As pups Bea and Bo both had their turn at shredding a potty pad. I put bitter spray -- I believe it's called "YUCK" -- on the EDGE of the pad, around around the edge of the pad. Let it dry and then put it down. I also gave them plenty of other things to do while they were "on lock down" in the kitchen while I was at work. Bed, toys, treats/kibble hidden all over the pen, nylabones. Worked great. I also put the potty pad on a tray (the tray from the bottom of a wire crate).

I hated cleaning up the mess for sure but the thing that worried me even more (like you, I'm sure) is "What if they choked on a big wad of plastic?" The prospect scared me to death.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka

Yes, maybe try the tray but I would be a little careful since they can rip out the middle easily and also get the sides to come out. If that happens, then maybe try the tray alone. :)

OP
lovemybullys

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
Ya I'm gonna try the tray alone. When he ate the pads he ate the middle out of it an that's what scared me. Only thing I thought was what if it absorbs in his stomach!!!!!! They are kinda spoiled on toys Kong balls , ropes, beds,blankets,bones, an since I live in south Dakota deer antlers are easy to come by so I get big fresh ones. On my gosh they love those antlers nice an fresh. I have 2 11 week old bullys an a 2 yr old min pin that all stay in the kitchen when noone is there. My kitchen if a good size so there not cramped they get along good but not sure if that's the reason . Is he just feeling cramped an doin that because he's stressed. My dimensions about 30x20 of open floor. Beds in 3 different corners so they have space

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.