Help Needed! Puppy pulling on the leash?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda is great at loose leash walking - that is, until she spots another dog. Then she pulls me and there is nothing I can do to break her focus of "GET. TO. DOG."

We're currently on a collar. I used a harness in the beginning and switched when she stopped pulling... Aaaand now we're back. I don't want to go back to a harness because at 26 lbs, Tilly already does a pretty good job of pulling me. A harness will just make it easier for her to pull, and when she's 50 lbs that will not work out. haha

The other thing is Tilly is training as my service animal and NEEDS to be on better behavior if I ever choose to take her into non-doggy areas. (Not sure how often that will be, but still). Her trainer really wants me to move to a cloth slip collar until she stops the pulling, but I DO NOT want to do it. I understand with a lot of breeds (especially big ones), slips are the safest as they keep both the dog and owner safe. But I cannot justify putting my baby bully (who while it is difficult, I CAN still control, or at the very least pick up) in a slip collar when the breed already has difficulty breathing.

Before, I got her to stop pulling by dead stopping the walk the moment she pulled and bribing her back to me with treats/wait until she stopped pulling to continue. It had always worked but now, Matilda does not seem to care about treats at all in the presence of a potential playmate. Today, I was waving her favorites right in front of her nose and while she acknowledged that I had it, did not care.

Any advice? I really am against using the slip.Will she grow out of the constant other-doggy excitement?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: yeah when she get's older as you keep training her it will get better with me a harness works a lot better than a collar maybe you should look in to getting a better harness or at least I would try again with it until she gets older an its less likely to hurt their trachea good luck

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo is TERRIBLE about this; he does the same, exact thing and let me tell you why: I have allowed it. It's my fault! For him, it's not about a dog, it's about certain people that we see on our daily sojourn around the neighborhood. And because I have let him get away with it, he continues to do it because he knows he CAN. ha ha ha ha

Interestingly, he does seem to know the difference in my energy between "You can't go because it's dangerous" and "You can't go because I don't want you to drag me across the road to get to your best friend the maintenance man's kid". Whatever's going on with me (energy wise), travels down that leash and he will give up much quicker in an "emergency" situation --- like a car coming down the road, for example.

When Bo was a pup, he used to CHOKE HIMSELF pulling on the flat buckle collar (the style to get per Bea's Puppy Manners class teachers). I had to whip out my Mable's old "pinch collar" back then because he really had NO LIMITS. Remember, I created this by letting him get away with it as a pup. Had I stuck to my guns way back then, I wouldn't be in this situation. He knows I'll cave and give him what he wants!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is back to his horrible habits again as well. He got good during puppy school and was in a harness but after not being walked on a leash during the summer because it was too hot he is not back to CHARGE!!!!!!!!. We have to use the harness with him or he totally chokes himself out. Sorry for not being very helpful, just wanted to commiserate

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Dozer doesn't like to walk, he'll lay out on all 4's, and refuse to walk, you have to literally pick up his bum, and tell him to walk, I used to carry him home, but he's too big now. He jumps up .and bites his leash. Blossom has way more energy and runs and pulls my arm off. Sorry I couldn't help you , but I will follow this thread,to see what people suggest. Obedience school maybe??

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Practice makes perfect! Start slow. Bring treats with you --- if they're food motivated (and what EB isn't?). Bo's behavior changes COMPLETELY when he knows there's a cookie in my pocket. The trouble is, I don't want to carry cookies for the rest of my life. hahahahahahaha I am no correcting behavior that I alone created. Ugh.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.