Help Needed! To sleep in bed, or not to sleep in bed.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
Brutus will be 15 weeks on Monday, when we originally brought him home he slept in bed with us, however after his surgery and cast, he had to sleep in his playpen (we had to get the playpen when he got hurt, he now uses like his crate) Now that he is out of his cast, and all stiches are removed, I can't decide if he should be back in bed w/ us.

1) He has done good in his playpen, but I can imagine he would rather be w/ his Mom and Dad, along with Marlee (our youngest JRT)
2) I'm afraid he could try to jump out of bed, and re-injur his leg.
3) I know once he gets bigger not all of us will fit

Can anyone tell me what they did w/ their Bullies when they were puppies? I loved our snuggle time in bed :smoochwink:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are safer in their crates, especially since he is still young. Like you said, you wouldn't want him to jump out of bed. Even if he didn't have the bad leg, jumping off things at an age under 1 year old is not good for them as their growth plates have not hardened yet. This can cause permanent damage to their bones. We let ours sleep in their crates at night and when we are gone from the house. It's a safe place for them and they enjoy staying in their crates as it becomes their own space.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm 100% sure that Usko has not challenged us as leaders in our home, bc he does not sleep in our bed, he is not even allowed in to our bedroom. Now it is also safer for him and if you want him out of your bed when he doesn't fit anymore, your going to have a struggle in your hands. And as Davidh said it is wise not let bullies jump up and down furniture or even go down stairs before they're about one year old. We snuggle with Usko on the floor.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Do Not let your dog sleep with you. He will get big. He may well snore and keep you up half the night. I found I had to keep mine out of the bedroom completely to get any sleep. Besides, he may get jealous of your husband as he gets older and more "mature" and attempt to keep you from cuddling with him. Not good. :down::no:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Few things are more enjoyable for me than settling in at night with everyone ( a cat or two, husband and Lupe). However, we actually purchased a low platform bed because of my concerns about her jumping, and she still requires a little stool to get up. And there are times ( a recent illness) when I've had to ask her to leave and--after two years sleeping in our bed--she just looks at me like she is not at all programmed to sleep somewhere else.

So, Im pretty sure our next bully will be crate or couch-sleeping trained. They do love their space and once you say the bed is fair game, it's over. They're in there for good. That said...maybe you can train your baby to understand "special snuggle times" in bed? Good luck!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is a crate man unless I'm out of town for work then he can keep my spot warm and play guard dog for mom at night. He had slept there for two nights while I was away recently and went back into his crate but was PISSED about it. So if you intend to keep him out in the end I wouldn't start the habit again or you may get some serious protesting in the end when it's time for him to no longer be in your bed.

OP
Dee J

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
From the time I get home from work, till the time I go to bed, I am on the floor or outside playing with him. He is just now getting big enough, where he can put his front paws on the couch, but he hasn't even tryed jumping on yet (I think that makes our oldest JRT happy to have some where to get away from all the playing the rest of us do) I hadn't even thought about the snoring yet, good call! I'm hoping we will be out of the playpin soon, and back to the crate so he can have his own place to call his own for good, and we all get the living room back for more play space! Thank you for everyone's thoughts :D

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
In your situation the crate is a good idea. For myself I let Maggie in the bed , my husband works midnights and I love having my cuddle bunny with me!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven is fine with either. I do crate her when we are going out and for the bulk of the night. As a puppy I tried letting her sleep on the bed but she would pee sometimes. She is going to be a year old this Sat and she is fine if I let her sleep on the bed. I prefer that she sleep in her crate at night because it gives me room to roll around some on the bed. When I take her out at 5:30 am I usually let her climb onto the bed with us for an hour or so. I love having her with me, during the day we can snuggle on the bed, but it's a bit rough at night. She loves to move around from person to person snuggling, she also loves to aim her behind upwards so when she does pass gas it is a sneaky silent deadly arrival. I say for now being as your little one was hurt you let him sleep in the crate and then reevaluate what you want later on. Good luck..I know it's hard looking at that little face and not wanting to cuddle with them.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
How funny I went thru the same thing when Samson was a pup! He slept in bed with us from the day we brought him home until he was 5 months old when he broke his leg and with that obviously I couldn't risk him sleeping in bed anymore. Once he got better though he came right back to bed with us and here at the age of 6.5 years old he still sleeps with us and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I think this is a personal decision and for me it saved Dublin's life, literally. She had slept in her crate in our bedroom until she had her first palate and nasal surgery. She was very very sick after due to intense swelling in her throat. I decided that I wanted her on the bed so I could keep an eye on her. Of course i was on edge so I slept on and off during the night. At one point I woke up to no sound or movement at my feet. I jumped up so fast and there was Dublin, not breathing with her tongue hanging out of her mouth swollen and purple. I grabbed her and shook her, and massaged her. I was terrified and I think my husband thought the house was on fire. I finally got her to take a huge gasp and to begin breathing. She was on big pain killers which probably slowed her breathing down more, so that along with the swelling and he already tiny trachea taking a breath was more than she could do. Needless to say I didn't sleep for the rest of the night. the vet said that if she hadn't been on the bed and me being so aware of her movements or lack thereof he was sure she wouldn't have made it through the night. So guess, who continues to sleep on our bed???? She had to have another palate and nasal surgery and it again was rough but she is a tough cookie. We have no problem sharing our bed with our sweetie pie....

dextersgranny

Aug 15, 2012
South Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexter is allowed to sleep on the bed. Most of the time he will sleep in his crate or bathroom floor. I never got it - a hard floor over a cushy bed!?

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess sleeps in bed with us and sometimes in her crate it depends on her mood 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's a tough call.

Right now and until he's at least 1 year old, I'd suggest his crate.

After that, you really need to think about your lifestyle, sleeping preference, etc.

Once they get used to something it's difficult then to change.

I'd always shared my king sized beds w/my animals but then I was dxed w/autoimmune
disease (several) and sleep became very difficult. One of my main symptoms is extreme
fatigue so when I don't get adequete rest, I can't function. Mother w/Alzheimer's has lived
w/me 2 years now and I must be able to care for her.

I've made the difficult decision to sleep alone and it is the right one.

Also, my observation is, the dogs that sleep in their crates FEEL safer than w/out their crates.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My bed is a very tall four poster affair. I need a step stool to get into my bed, in fact - therefore the dogs cannot just hop up there whenever they want. Being on the bed is a special privilege -- and one they recognize as such. I reserve "sleeping in the big bed" for special occasions --- like July 4th when the fireworks are making them crazy. Of course hotel travel is a special occasion already so they get to sleep in the bed during trips.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.