Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To sleep in bed, or not to sleep in bed.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Sylvia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tess & Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Tess sleeps in bed with us and sometimes in her crate it depends on her mood 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: To sleep in bed, or not to sleep in bed.

It's a tough call.

Right now and until he's at least 1 year old, I'd suggest his crate.

After that, you really need to think about your lifestyle, sleeping preference, etc.

Once they get used to something it's difficult then to change.

I'd always shared my king sized beds w/my animals but then I was dxed w/autoimmune
    disease (several) and sleep became very difficult. One of my main symptoms is extreme
    fatigue so when I don't get adequete rest, I can't function. Mother w/Alzheimer's has lived
    w/me 2 years now and I must be able to care for her.

I've made the difficult decision to sleep alone and it is the right one.

Also, my observation is, the dogs that sleep in their crates FEEL safer than w/out their crates.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

My bed is a very tall four poster affair. I need a step stool to get into my bed, in fact - therefore the dogs cannot just hop up there whenever they want. Being on the bed is a special privilege -- and one they recognize as such. I reserve "sleeping in the big bed" for special occasions --- like July 4th when the fireworks are making them crazy. Of course hotel travel is a special occasion already so they get to sleep in the bed during trips.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Dee J's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
    Likes (Received)

Just last Thursday I picked up Brutus and let him fall asleep on the couch while I was watching TV, and then again later while I was in the recliner..... of course he loved it! Before I always sat or layed on the ground after his leg injury. Now that he has been up once, he wants up ALL the time lol Saturday I was watching TV in bed, and he even put his front paws on the side of the bed..... of course I had to let him up, he went straight to sleep [replacer_img] I think for now, we will do it on special occasions, or just during the day when we AREN'T sleeping so we can wathc out after him.

@Dubbiedog - So glad you had Dublin in bed with you, I call that a parent's instinct! I'm sure once Brutus gets older he will be back up in the bed, I fail at saying no to cuddle time!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Chance has not been allowed to sleep on the bed. Until this week. (More on that in a bit.)

As a puppy, he learned that his bed was his crate, in the living room. On a rare occasion, or two, we'd suggest he sleep in the bedroom. He spent half the night pacing and staring out AT his crate in the living room.

This week, as I have been keeping the most bizarre and unhealthy student hours possible, because Chance just turned 2, (and because laundry hadn't yet been done), we let him up on the bed for two nights. It is cute and all... but I don't think any of us slept well. The next day I had to work in a zombified state and Chance crawled back into his crate and slept for the entire day.

So yeah, it is cute cuddle time and all.... But I think we're sticking to the original training plan of not letting him in the bed. Doing so helped us establish dominance anyway so it wasn't a bad thing.

We are however transitioning him out of a "crate" and into a bed/cave in the living room. (A grand ol' project that sounds better in my head than it will likely be in practice.)

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

I had Franklin & Grace sleep in bed with us until lately we've been keeping them out of are bedroom all together he's been scratching at the door an crying but it's only been in the morning when he has to potty It's been great sleeping without them I can finally sleep through the whole night I love it I just wish I never let him on the bed to begin with then he wouldn't cry so much but no now that I know he's fine an not getting into stuff when were asleep they will not sleep with us anymore. He drove me nuts he would sleep on my pillow an on my head I love him to death but no more sleeping with mom & dad

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I don't put Lola is my bed and she knows if she comes up on my bed its because she has been good but I can cou t on one hand how many times she has been on my bed.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Dee J's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
    Likes (Received)

We just started letting Brutus have the house instead of just his crate at night, and he has done great! More recently, we let him in bed with us, it only lasts a few hours though, and one of us lets him down. He sleeps on top of the blankets and then we can't move :/ I love having him up there for a little bit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The boy that stole my heart forever, Brutus Mayhem

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee J View Post
    We just started letting Brutus have the house instead of just his crate at night, and he has done great! More recently, we let him in bed with us, it only lasts a few hours though, and one of us lets him down. He sleeps on top of the blankets and then we can't move :/ I love having him up there for a little bit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    great to hear he is doing well..... our Nitschke used to do that with the covers too then he started sleeping on ALL the pillows.-- Banks likes being under the covers so it isn't an issue
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Shannon
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leroy
    Likes (Received)

Lol, I guess we are bad b/c we have been letting Leroy sleep with starting about a month after we brought him home. Yeah, he peed the bed at times but, he seemed much happier there than in his crate. Then a couple of months ago I got him some pet stairs so he can get up and down from the bed as he pleases and guess where he sleeps a lot of the time...on the floor! I have bought a few dog beds and put them on the floor of our room (b/c I feel bad he is sleeping on the floor) but he never uses them.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I think its a personal decision! For me I am a crate person because I know she is safe and not getting into anything that can hurt her but I would love to trust her someday so she could stay out!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Tank was crate trained, with the crate being in the laundry room. After he grew out of the chewing stage, we removed the crate but left his mattress in the same little niche in the room. That is his night place or day place if we are going to be gone for a while. He is comfortable there and always get a biscuit when's leave him or at bed time, so he doesn't mind going to his room. Occasionally, like on the weekends he will be allowed to sleep with us and loves it, but doesn't mind going back to his room the next night. While he'd be very happy to share our bed permanently, he's a good boy and happily retires to his room, too! <3 as long as he gets a cookie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads