ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Am I crating Remi too much?

Remi sleeps in his crate from 9:30 pm to 7:30 a.m. with one potty break in the middle (and of course before and after)
We take him for at least 1 walk a day, often 2. They last at least 20 minutes per session.

I crate him up to 5 hours a day, either all at once (once a week max), or broken up depending on what my appointments look like. Sometimes I can't watch him if I have a conference call, etc. On average I will crate him for 1-2 hours during the day up to 2 times.

We'll also put him in the crate for a break for 20 minute intervals until he does his potty time if he refuses to go when we take him out.

The remainder we play with him or have cuddle time.

Too much for a puppy? Just right?

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Tuni is crated more then that since we both work. She is crated from 8am-3pm with one potty break around noon. I worry that it's too much crate time too but I just try to spend as much time with her that I can after work taking walks, going to visit grandma etc.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
So days Gunny has hardly any crate time and other days he is there quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about it since you are often giving him breaks throughout the day.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy also is crated more than Remi and she seems okay. I am sure each dog will adapt to their routine as long as you keep them on the same schedule. Izzy is crated from 730am-430pm but I come home during my lunch break and give her a potty break. Once I get home I make sure I walk her and play with her a lot! I also have been waking up early and taking her for a quick run/walk with me to get some exercise in the morning.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Most days ours are crated longer than that. Once they get older they like being in their crates. Even when we are home our girls will go in their crates on their own if they want quiet time.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Not to anyway critize anyone who crates there pups for longer but I just peronally have never felt comfortable crating our pups for anymore than that 5 hours at a time so I think you are doing just fine :) I realize I probably humanize my dogs more than I should but I just always put myself in "their shoes"

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
as long as you are on a routine he should be fine, Bacon is crated at night and we have a day pen setup for him during the day where he can go in and out via doggy door as he pleases but it's enclosed on both end and the outside is in the shade.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks for your comments guys. Husband and I were concerned we were over crating (Let's face it, sometimes we just need a break!)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Most days ours are crated longer than that. Once they get older they like being in their crates. Even when we are home our girls will go in their crates on their own if they want quiet time.

Anytime I'm not home, Bea and Bo both go into their crates. They're in there when I go to work in the morning and I see them getting up and stretching when I pull into the driveway.

JohnS

Jul 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jonesy
Here's my 2 sense. Jonesy sleeps in her cage every night. She ll go in on her own and still be sleeping when we get up to start our day. We let her out when we get up and don't crate her again till bed time. Now if we have errands to run we will crate her but never longer than 5 hrs. She takes an afternoon nap anyway so if we can get our errands done while she's napping anyway I don't feel bad. I give her lots of attention and love as soon as I get home and she is so happy to see me. Don't feel bad about putting bullie in crate I did when I first started but noticed quickly jonesy liked her crate and knew it was a comfortable place for her to relax and snooze.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.