Help Needed! Suggestions needed to discourage Bully Kisses

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello All!

My grandson is 4 and Tank absolutely loves him and vice versa. My problem is that my grandson is allergic to dog saliva and as soon as Tank kisses him, he breaks out in hives and starts sneezing. Tank is just 10 months old and we are working on training but he is young and just gets so excited when Michael comes to visit and Michael's face is just so close and tempting....Any suggestions on how to keep Tank from licking Michael without being so stern that Tank comes to associate to grand babies visits as a bad thing? One day Michael came over wearing a football helmet and that actually worked pretty good :) but I don't think I can get him to wear it all the time LOL.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You could put a gate up so Tank can't get at him and you won't get agravated at anybody

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's a tough one, because bullies love to lick, especially when they are young. Just try to keep telling Tank "no lick" and put your hand in front of his face. Eventually he will get it, but it will take time.

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
My cat would appreciate Herschel learning how not to lick. Sam gets more bully kisses than I do!

Hope you find a way to work it out for both of your boys!

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Boy that's a tough one, if I come up with any ideas I will let you know.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
With my boxer I would tell her "no lick" while gently holding her mouth shut, however, not quite so easy with a bully face. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The baby has his own, unique smell to your dog. Simplified, this issue isn't "no licking"; it's no licking Michael. Tank will be able to discern the difference between Michael and all other grand babies with some patient and consistent training. Dog saliva is dangerous to Michael and Tank will be able to pick up on the different energy you share with him that's associated with something being dangerous. When you correct the dog, think of Tank's action or intent to lick the baby like Michael is the poisonous one to Tank; just like you would if Tank encountered a toxic toad or something. You've switched your energy to "protecting the baby" to "protecting Tank" (because you are his pack leader and that's your job). By not reacting when he licks other babies, I think your pup will easily put two and two together. Good luck! A baby with hives is dangerous stuff!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH gives me kisses but not Lari... It is because Lari wont let her and constantly told her 'No lick'. HRH eventually got the idea. Now if she would only learn 'No hump" Lari would be really happy... :laugh:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
HRH gives me kisses but not Lari... It is because Lari wont let her and constantly told her 'No lick'. HRH eventually got the idea. Now if she would only learn 'No hump" Lari would be really happy... :laugh:

:LMAO:

No help here but I think you have gotten some great advice. ;)

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
what about a putting something on the baby that smells untasty or even some sort of bad tasting substance? Obviously not on his face, but maybe a little lemon juice on his hands? Or a scent sprayed on his clothes? If he's allergic to the dog he may have other allergies that would prevent this, but just a thought- it works on things you don't want them to chew, so maybe apply this idea to kids ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.