General Question New addition

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Our baby dog is almost 11 months old and I would love to get another puppy to keep her company. Do you think it would be ok to get a male, she has been spayed. Also would it be better to wait until she is older?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In my opinion, the gender is not as important as the temperament of your current bully and the new pup you select -- how accepting they would be of another dog in the home.

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I think the opposite sex is a good idea. There will be less chance of of them fighting for Alpha status that way. Those disagreements have caused more problems in my multi dog home than any other kind.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: yes I would get a male an I wouldn't wait until she's older when she gets older its harder to put dogs together I'm not saying it can't be done but when they get older they get set in their ways an its much easier to put puppies together than an older dog an a puppy trust me I just did it grace did not like Franklin for like 2 weeks she would growl every time he walked by her then finally I took them outside an let them play an she loves him now it took a little work but she loves him when he's not eats her toys so good luck

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Now is a good time to get another one, and the opposite sex is usually a good idea, but I have seen same sex get along especially if they grow up together, they will figure out who is the top dog, and it should be you. I have also seen male and female not get along as well.

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Maggie has a great personality she wants to play with every dog she meets. I am a little worried that she may be jealous though we do spoil her rotten! I do want another so bad!

Most Reactions