Help Needed! Nothing means "no" to Tilly?!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
When I say "pin her down" I am hoping everybody here knows it's Cesar Milan technique! Just hold her down until she stops biting or crying and is calm. Then you can pet her and get her into that desired "calm and submissive state of mind".

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Do you think that it's the fact that she thinks I'm just playing or does she know it's wrong and doesn't care?

Because I've been getting very shouty with her lately, trying to get her attention and there is NO reaction. I don't like yelling at her, but I just can't figure out how to make her stop. Not that it helps anyway! hah

At least if she thinks the shouting is playing, I won't feel so guilty about it...

But there are times when she'll bite me hard and I don't even have to react - she just runs away under the bed because SHE KNOWS she wasn't supposed to do that. So why does she do it?

Your pup has been on the planet four months. How is she supposed to "Know" all of this stuff you think she knows? Your pup is looking for leadership and now's the time to bring that on! Dogs operate "Nose, then eyes, then ears". All that shouting and smacking is just teaching to be afraid when you go berserk. She's not learning anything.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is right. Patience and consistency is key. Try to use as little sound as possible. Practice leadership. Different dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's starting to cool off. Alter your schedule to walk her when she needs it and bump it up to two sessions a day and see if that helps.

[MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] - I love what you said! Using the clicker (little sound) - and treats (nose eyes ears!) you are redirecting your pup's energy toward a leadership exercise. Your pup hears the clicker and instantly knows something good is coming (because that's what a clicker does) and then she has an opportunity to please you and get a food reward. What could be better for a pup learning the behavior you desire from her/him? Fabulous!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Your pup has been on the planet four months. How is she supposed to "Know" all of this stuff you think she knows? Your pup is looking for leadership and now's the time to bring that on! Dogs operate "Nose, then eyes, then ears". All that shouting and smacking is just teaching to be afraid when you go berserk. She's not learning anything.
@Davidh is right. Patience and consistency is key. Try to use as little sound as possible. Practice leadership. Different dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's starting to cool off. Alter your schedule to walk her when she needs it and bump it up to two sessions a day and see if that helps.

@elearn - I love what you said! Using the clicker (little sound) - and treats (nose eyes ears!) you are redirecting your pup's energy toward a leadership exercise. Your pup hears the clicker and instantly knows something good is coming (because that's what a clicker does) and then she has an opportunity to please you and get a food reward. What could be better for a pup learning the behavior you desire from her/him? Fabulous!

Thank you all so much! I never smack her, but usually what happens is I'll say no, she keeps biting/attacking, so I say it more loudly, and this progress until I'm running yelling "NO NO NO NO" and she's chasing me finding this the funnest game ever. Ugh.

I've been ignoring her/time outing her sooner the past couple days... usually I wait until it becomes a problem, so I started putting her out of the room the second she begins playing too roughly, and it has worked out very well! I also have been caring treats around the house at all times, so I can get her to sit at any given moment :tongue: Thank goodness bullies love their treats!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's a phase they go through, just be consistent and patient. You will get through it.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.