Help Needed! Nothing means "no" to Tilly?!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda had been doing so well, and now we've backslid! Nothing phases her now. She used to understand if I said "NO" in a sharp tone, but not anymore! She pulls on the leash when we walk, she attacks shoes/pants as you walk, and bites and plays too rough. She KNOWS all of these things are wrong to do, but I can say "NO" until my face turns blue and she still won't even react!

I now also grab her the ruff of her neck, and pull her off of whatever she's attacking, or smack the ground in front of her to get her attention, but she doesn't even GLANCE at me! She totally ignores me. And it's all in play - she doesn't do anything aggressive otherwise. What makes me mad is that she KNOWS it's wrong to do it. When I finally get her attention she'll run and hide under the bed, or run away from me because she knows she'll be put in time out. In example, she'll attack my slippers while I walk (which she knows is a time-out worthy offense) and when I bend over to pick her up, she takes off running!

So why is she testing me?! And HOW can I get her attention - enough so to stop the bad behavior? I've heard of coins in the can, but literally, no banging on things/yelling/etc even gets her attention right now! I also do not want to spray her with water, as I spray her on walks to cool her off.

Advice? I walk her every day. It gets really hot here so we can only walk at certain times, but I literally walk her until she's hot and exhausted. And she'll still act crazy later in the day!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
terrible twos? Lola has been quite the stinker but i always win the battle...instead of timeout maybe a sharp turn to face away from her. don't give any attention to behavior you don't want.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
terrible twos? Lola has been quite the stinker but i always win the battle...instead of timeout maybe a sharp turn to face away from her. don't give any attention to behavior you don't want.

She'll be four months old next Monday. I have to physically remove her from the room (or myself), because she won't stop if I turn away... UGH

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
If you want her attention, squirt her with a water gun or squirt bottle. It works real well. :bonkhead::nonono:

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
She'll be four months old next Monday. I have to physically remove her from the room (or myself), because she won't stop if I turn away... UGH

Ha! Gunny hit 4 months and it was like the devil himself had arrived. Pure insanity. Luckily the past couple of weeks he has returned to a much more sane dog, well as much as a bully puppy can be.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's a phase they go through, just be consistent and patient. You will get through it.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
She was so unbelievably naughty today. She woke up in bed with me, decided she needed to pee. Did she bark or alert me in some way? NO, she didn't feel like getting up. So she peed all over my bed (which I just laundered yesterday). Then, as I'm washing all of my bedding (again), I went to clean up her fake grass patch outside. It has a compartment underneath that holds the urine. Matilda decided to attack my slippers, tripping me, and throwing me into the Pet Loo, sending the compartment flying, and dousing her, me, and my entire balcony in urine.

:bitching: How long does this phase last?

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Matilda had been doing so well, and now we've backslid! Nothing phases her now. She used to understand if I said "NO" in a sharp tone, but not anymore! She pulls on the leash when we walk, she attacks shoes/pants as you walk, and bites and plays too rough. She KNOWS all of these things are wrong to do, but I can say "NO" until my face turns blue and she still won't even react!

I now also grab her the ruff of her neck, and pull her off of whatever she's attacking, or smack the ground in front of her to get her attention, but she doesn't even GLANCE at me! She totally ignores me. And it's all in play - she doesn't do anything aggressive otherwise. What makes me mad is that she KNOWS it's wrong to do it. When I finally get her attention she'll run and hide under the bed, or run away from me because she knows she'll be put in time out. In example, she'll attack my slippers while I walk (which she knows is a time-out worthy offense) and when I bend over to pick her up, she takes off running!

So why is she testing me?! And HOW can I get her attention - enough so to stop the bad behavior? I've heard of coins in the can, but literally, no banging on things/yelling/etc even gets her attention right now! I also do not want to spray her with water, as I spray her on walks to cool her off.

Advice? I walk her every day. It gets really hot here so we can only walk at certain times, but I literally walk her until she's hot and exhausted. And she'll still act crazy later in the day!

This sounds like my 4 month old....I need some suggestions as well! Sometimes she's very sweet and lovey then other times....oh my...nothing stops her.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Herman is still in this phase...and he's 7 months. But I'd say for at least the past couple of weeks he is getting better. I'm able to say "Wait one minute!" and he'll run to his bed because he doesn't want to go to his room (play pen). I usually just pick him up when he gets too out of control and put him in his play pen. He hates being picked up so that usually stops it.

I think it will last for a while, unfortunately, it's all about being a puppy. But you cant give up, you just have to be consistent. The whole walking away, facing away, leaving the room just isnt possible with a 48 lb dog hanging off my pant leg by his teeth.

I did find though that with the use of a clicker, I'm able to get his attention and get him re-focused on practicing his tricks when he gets bad. But that's not always possible / practical. Good luck and dont give up!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Do you think that it's the fact that she thinks I'm just playing or does she know it's wrong and doesn't care?

Because I've been getting very shouty with her lately, trying to get her attention and there is NO reaction. I don't like yelling at her, but I just can't figure out how to make her stop. Not that it helps anyway! hah

At least if she thinks the shouting is playing, I won't feel so guilty about it...

But there are times when she'll bite me hard and I don't even have to react - she just runs away under the bed because SHE KNOWS she wasn't supposed to do that. So why does she do it?

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Consistency is key and critical. Amber took to a lazy spell for a little bit but trips back to the kennel in the living room with us looking at her was one of our answers. She seen us having fun after she had been in trouble and wanted out so bad. We would let her out and if she did something wrong we let she know and put her in the time out and played with her toys in front of her. She got the message; don't just put her in time out,put the kennel where they can see you and play with all their things. It gets to them and I must say it was a little satisfying to know I was getting to her after she peed on my sofa. lol. Just a few minutes (10-15) does the trick and be consistent, it pays off. Good luck!

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Do you think that it's the fact that she thinks I'm just playing or does she know it's wrong and doesn't care?

Because I've been getting very shouty with her lately, trying to get her attention and there is NO reaction. I don't like yelling at her, but I just can't figure out how to make her stop. Not that it helps anyway! hah

At least if she thinks the shouting is playing, I won't feel so guilty about it...

But there are times when she'll bite me hard and I don't even have to react - she just runs away under the bed because SHE KNOWS she wasn't supposed to do that. So why does she do it?

I'm in the same boat as you, but nothing will stop Tuni...she never gets scared and runs away...just keeps coming back for more :-/

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I think they all test you at that age! When Winston was that age he had just came in from going outside he came in and got mad I was not paying attention to him...stared at me and deliberately peed on the couch. What worked with us when nothing else would was ignoring him. I know that is very difficult sometimes depending on what they are doing but I would say No! with the finger pointed at him...and turn my back to him. Every time he came around to do something again I turned the other way. I didn't say anything to him just ignored him. After a few times of this and ALOT of praise for positive behavior he finally got the point. Bad things = no attention and we all know how bulldogs LOVE their attention. Good luck, just be consistent with her. She will get there! :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
She was so unbelievably naughty today. She woke up in bed with me, decided she needed to pee. Did she bark or alert me in some way? NO, she didn't feel like getting up. So she peed all over my bed (which I just laundered yesterday). Then, as I'm washing all of my bedding (again), I went to clean up her fake grass patch outside. It has a compartment underneath that holds the urine. Matilda decided to attack my slippers, tripping me, and throwing me into the Pet Loo, sending the compartment flying, and dousing her, me, and my entire balcony in urine.

:bitching: How long does this phase last?

Have you thought of making Video? :ROFL:
Sorry I can just see this all happening, please be patient with her. She's a baby and when she gets older she will slow down. Maybe if you , just maybe, can remain calm, cool and collected, she won't get too excited in the moment. Keep us posted, and hey,,,,, Exhale, blow it out and count to 10

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Have you tried to pin her down until she surrenders? I know that many people don't like this technique to show domincance but that helps to kind of putting them in their place and not hurting them specially when they are acting all crazy and super hyper.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online