Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing means "no" to Tilly?!

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nothing means "no" to Tilly?!

I think they all test you at that age! When Winston was that age he had just came in from going outside he came in and got mad I was not paying attention to him...stared at me and deliberately peed on the couch. What worked with us when nothing else would was ignoring him. I know that is very difficult sometimes depending on what they are doing but I would say No! with the finger pointed at him...and turn my back to him. Every time he came around to do something again I turned the other way. I didn't say anything to him just ignored him. After a few times of this and ALOT of praise for positive behavior he finally got the point. Bad things = no attention and we all know how bulldogs LOVE their attention. Good luck, just be consistent with her. She will get there!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    She was so unbelievably naughty today. She woke up in bed with me, decided she needed to pee. Did she bark or alert me in some way? NO, she didn't feel like getting up. So she peed all over my bed (which I just laundered yesterday). Then, as I'm washing all of my bedding (again), I went to clean up her fake grass patch outside. It has a compartment underneath that holds the urine. Matilda decided to attack my slippers, tripping me, and throwing me into the Pet Loo, sending the compartment flying, and dousing her, me, and my entire balcony in urine.

How long does this phase last?

Have you thought of making Video?
    Sorry I can just see this all happening, please be patient with her. She's a baby and when she gets older she will slow down. Maybe if you , just maybe, can remain calm, cool and collected, she won't get too excited in the moment. Keep us posted, and hey,,,,, Exhale, blow it out and count to 10
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried to pin her down until she surrenders? I know that many people don't like this technique to show domincance but that helps to kind of putting them in their place and not hurting them specially when they are acting all crazy and super hyper.

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

When I say "pin her down" I am hoping everybody here knows it's Cesar Milan technique! Just hold her down until she stops biting or crying and is calm. Then you can pet her and get her into that desired "calm and submissive state of mind".

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Do you think that it's the fact that she thinks I'm just playing or does she know it's wrong and doesn't care?

Because I've been getting very shouty with her lately, trying to get her attention and there is NO reaction. I don't like yelling at her, but I just can't figure out how to make her stop. Not that it helps anyway! hah

At least if she thinks the shouting is playing, I won't feel so guilty about it...

But there are times when she'll bite me hard and I don't even have to react - she just runs away under the bed because SHE KNOWS she wasn't supposed to do that. So why does she do it?
    Your pup has been on the planet four months. How is she supposed to "Know" all of this stuff you think she knows? Your pup is looking for leadership and now's the time to bring that on! Dogs operate "Nose, then eyes, then ears". All that shouting and smacking is just teaching to be afraid when you go berserk. She's not learning anything.
    @Davidh is right. Patience and consistency is key. Try to use as little sound as possible. Practice leadership. Different dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's starting to cool off. Alter your schedule to walk her when she needs it and bump it up to two sessions a day and see if that helps.

@elearn - I love what you said! Using the clicker (little sound) - and treats (nose eyes ears!) you are redirecting your pup's energy toward a leadership exercise. Your pup hears the clicker and instantly knows something good is coming (because that's what a clicker does) and then she has an opportunity to please you and get a food reward. What could be better for a pup learning the behavior you desire from her/him? Fabulous!

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Your pup has been on the planet four months. How is she supposed to "Know" all of this stuff you think she knows? Your pup is looking for leadership and now's the time to bring that on! Dogs operate "Nose, then eyes, then ears". All that shouting and smacking is just teaching to be afraid when you go berserk. She's not learning anything.
    @Davidh is right. Patience and consistency is key. Try to use as little sound as possible. Practice leadership. Different dogs need different amounts of exercise. It's starting to cool off. Alter your schedule to walk her when she needs it and bump it up to two sessions a day and see if that helps.

@elearn - I love what you said! Using the clicker (little sound) - and treats (nose eyes ears!) you are redirecting your pup's energy toward a leadership exercise. Your pup hears the clicker and instantly knows something good is coming (because that's what a clicker does) and then she has an opportunity to please you and get a food reward. What could be better for a pup learning the behavior you desire from her/him? Fabulous!
    Thank you all so much! I never smack her, but usually what happens is I'll say no, she keeps biting/attacking, so I say it more loudly, and this progress until I'm running yelling "NO NO NO NO" and she's chasing me finding this the funnest game ever. Ugh.

I've been ignoring her/time outing her sooner the past couple days... usually I wait until it becomes a problem, so I started putting her out of the room the second she begins playing too roughly, and it has worked out very well! I also have been caring treats around the house at all times, so I can get her to sit at any given moment Thank goodness bullies love their treats!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I also have been caring treats around the house at all times, so I can get her to sit at any given moment Thank goodness bullies love their treats!
    Indeed!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    It's a phase they go through, just be consistent and patient. You will get through it.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads