Help Needed! Constant nipping/biting

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Basic obedience training to show leadership role in combination with consistently by stopping the behaviour with a shhht and slight poke to show "no" or whatever method you use and replace with a chew toy you approve of will get you great results.

In the meantime the baby teeth are ruthless but staying on it now is key.

Lastly learn the energy level of your puppy, reward calm submissive behaviour and stop "before" the red zone which can be awfully close as a puppy as they have so much gusto :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good stuff Vince!!!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Having a pretty rough day today. Remi bit me pretty hard and started running circles around the house, going bananas. It hurt pretty bad (drew blood and I totally let out a scream) and he was totally unaffected by it. He got more aggressive as I tried to put him on his back. Will have to try something else.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Having a pretty rough day today. Remi bit me pretty hard and started running circles around the house, going bananas. It hurt pretty bad (drew blood and I totally let out a scream) and he was totally unaffected by it. He got more aggressive as I tried to put him on his back. Will have to try something else.

Have you started any training classes with him yet?

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
No, but have been doing a ton of online research and implementation. Training classes an absolute must?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, but have been doing a ton of online research and implementation. Training classes an absolute must?

It is a great way to get the basics down and help you bond and teach him that you are the pack leader.... also give oppurtunity for socialization

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: what I did with all of my dog is when they bite yelp like your his litter mate they stop really quick an then give him a toy Franklin is 6 months now an he doesn't bite me at all it works

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hey, you've already gotten some great advice.
Rook was a constant nipper too, and I had vowed to never get another puppy because he really pushed the limit.
I didn't have access to obedience classes at that time (I was living in Montreal and all the classes were in French, et mon francais n'est pas bon!). Doing basic training exercises several times a day really helped, but I think the classes would have definitely made life easier, so if you can find one do it.
Rook would get super hyper if I was sitting down on the floor with him, and if he did nip and I yelped it seemed to only egg him on more like it was part if the game. I started to only play with him by squatting instead of sitting on the floor with him. If he started acting up I could instantly say NO, stand up and end it or walk away if he was being persistent.
It really does get better with time, especially when they get out of the teething stage. The key is finding whatever works for your bully and being consistent.
Rook is now a year old and I can lay on the floor and snuggle with him. Okay, he will occasionally still grab my pant leg and tug on it because it is imperative that I give him all of my attention every moment of the day... But that's also kind of why I love him so much! :)

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
Frankie is the SAME way she can be so sweet, but then she will bite, bite... she grabs our pant legs and pulls.. When I try to release her from my fingers or what ever she's biting she grawls at me. We do the switching with a toy, but she then goes after my other dogs and then after us again and she has drew blood on several occasions.

She also will sit there and bark NON stop if I do the "shunning" to her when she won't stop biting and drives me crazyy!!

bullyluv34

Aug 29, 2012
Imperial, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka "Frankie"
I am trying everything I have read, but she is all "bully" stubborn, she bullies my pugs, I feel bad for them :( because they are like OMG whats going on... what is this thing doing?! lol..

She is very "stingy with all the 1,000 toys -
She's worse than my 13 year old when I tell her she can't go to her friends... lol

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
UPDATE: Yesterday was the worst day - check this out so you can see what I mean. He's been super good today, but I've been walking him way more instead of "rough housing" as they say to tire him out... err... I mean exercise :yes:

battlewounds.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.