Help Needed! Walks not long enough?

Dawn Ramsey

Aug 28, 2012
Sidney, Nebraska, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maiya & Baxter
Maiya has been :poo: in the house!! We had no issues with it before we got Baxter over a month ago. I learned if I don't get her walked within a 1/2 hour of getting up she'll potty on the floor but for the last week we'll go for our morning walks,she'll potty but within 10 minutes of getting home :poo: on the floor. We're outside for 15-20 minutes so I hope I'm not rushing her but almost ready to chain her to the house while Bax takes his constitutional then see if she's gone. If I have to take 2 walks I could get up earlier I suppose. Any ideas?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You don't say how old these dogs are but my advice would be the same anyway probably. Have a schedule and STICK TO THAT SCHEDULE. Dogs like ritual and consistency. Walks and potty should really be two different things (my opinion) -- although going to the loo can certainly be an aspect of the walk. Here, both dogs are expected to go out and go potty when I get up. That takes care of the immediate need. They know that they have to hold it all night and they also know that when they see the whites of my eyes, they get to go out. Most of the time, Bo will also poo at this time. Bea not always.

The morning walk is a different thing. The focus is not bathroom --- although it can occur -- it's exercise and fun (for them) and leadership (for me). Bea uses this time to do her poo-ing before we begin our walk ritual.

Why don't you try breaking up those two events?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..like Vic said, our morning walks are not or pooing (but does usually happen) they are for smelling and checking out the neighborhood! Is there a way you can feed them and let them potty before you walk?

You were kidding about chaining right?? :eek:

OP
D

Dawn Ramsey

Aug 28, 2012
Sidney, Nebraska, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maiya & Baxter
I will work on making the morning walks "exploring" time. I am sorry about working on the pottying then. just REALLY cold at 5:30 and was trying to get "it" done. Glad I have people here to help me with my bad behaviors!! LOL any other advice would be great!! TY very much. Oh, Bax will be 2 in Nov and Maiya 2 in Jan.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.