General Question Oh my!! Humping puppy.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Good morning everyone! A couple of days ago, we realized our 13 week old male puppy is beginning to hump us! Ahhhh!

So, 2 things.

Will this go away when it's time to neuter?
Is there anything we do to discourage it? It's just a tad awkward. :blush2:

Thanks in advance. You know you guys are my lifeline :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You can try to redirect his attention to discourage the behavior, just like biting. But some bullies are just humpers, both male and female. With some I've heard neutering helped. With some, It never goes away. But we do get used to it. :blush2:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I can answer your first question for sure.....NO it may not go away when he is neutered! Vegas is 3 and a half and he STILL has the tendency to hump. Just about anyone that walks through our front door or if Joe and I are getting a little to close. I know he is not doing it because he is "horney" it is an excitement or dominance issue. The way I deal with it is to flip him to his side and pin him down until he is quiet and relaxed. I had a Christmas party 2 years ago and I had to have Vegas on a leash around my wrist for most of the night because he wanted to "Greet" all the guest. I can say at this age he does not do it quite so often but he did nail my husband about a week ago because we were hugging in the kitchen.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's so normal for males or females to to hump, even at that age. Emma wasted now time in humping Jack, she'll still get him occasionally. Wilson humped Jack too before he was neutered and no longer trys to hump him. As far as him humping you guys though, that's a HUGE no no. Put a stop that that immediately. While the humping is normal, it's also normal canine behavior for dominance. Jack will try every now and then to hump our neighbor (he gets so excited to see him). I do not ever allow it.

Give your guys a firm "no" command and if needed, in a firm way redirect him down off the leg (or whatever part his humping, lol).

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks guys update: it's happening a bit more often, but if I just push/tip him over, it distracts him and he stops. If it's a dominance thing, I wonder if that means I just won the contest. :pray:

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
I have no advice, unfortunately, but our Sancho does this, too, when hubby and I are hugging or something. He will hump whomever is closer to him. He doesn't do it with other dogs at all, so I'm hoping since it's so rare with him that it will stop when he's neutered :pray2:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.