Socializing/Help - Puppy (4 months old)

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hello :)

So, I would really like to socialize Tuni more...there's not many dogs in our neighborhood. The only socialization she really gets is at my parents house with their two dogs. They have a Pomeranian that is 13 yrs old and doesn't want to be bothered and they also have a 4lb Yorkie with a major attitude problem. He barks at Tuni and will try going after her sometimes, I think mainly because he's scared and she just wants to play. I'm worried it's teaching her bad habits :-/

She is still very mouthy with me (breeder said this should have calmed down by now) and she get's so worked up when playing she won't clam down. She just wants to bite, bite, bite us. I've tried submitting on her back and it takes her a very long time to submit and once I let her go she will usually come back for more. She has so much energy, she rarely will just lay down and fall asleep or take a nap. We just want to snuggle with her but she just wants to bite.

I want to get her in some puppy classes but all places require the bordetella shot, which i'm nervous about getting her since I've read so many horror stories about dogs getting sick after it. She will be 4 months on Monday.

Any suggestions? Is her behavior normal for her age? :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
At four months .. I would say it's typical bouncy puppy behaviour. Maybe see where there is a doggy get together in your area and go along to that if you would like to socialize her but can't take her to the pet store puppy groups. If you look on facebook for all your local rescue places they will have lots of links to doggy things happening in your area. Especially at this time of year. Almost everybody is having some kind of halloween fundraiser!!

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
First, if she's too high energy for you to do stuff with, she need more exercise to wear her out. Longer walks, chasing the ball in the yard or something like that.

I don't know about where you live but there are a few community spots where folks and folks and their dogs are known to go to walk Look for a lake or pond with a sidewalk around it. You'd get all kinds of socialization by just walking in an are with more foot traffic (I know, less urban areas are less likely to have those). You can always make the rounds of the local pet supply stores too. I've been know to do that when it's too hot to be outside but they need to get out of the house.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
You have a normal puppy, with a lot of energy. You can try meetup dot com for puppy play dates - there are so many people looking for safe playmates for their bullies. You can also look in the meet up forum here - or maybe put up a post looking for a meet up in your area. Also, maybe try the bulldog club in your state?

Where are you located?

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I haven't taken her to the pet store yet...I will do that this weekend for sure. I've been taking her on really long walks after work to try to get rid of some energy. She get's sooooo out of breath when we walk, is this usually normal? I get worried she will get too hot or overheated.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
You have a normal puppy, with a lot of energy. You can try meetup dot com for puppy play dates - there are so many people looking for safe playmates for their bullies. You can also look in the meet up forum here - or maybe put up a post looking for a meet up in your area. Also, maybe try the bulldog club in your state?

Where are you located?

Hi :) Thanks for the tips. I think she does have so much energy built up. I'm located in Pittsburgh, PA

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can get the bordatella, just make sure they have the injectable kind, not the nose kind. Wait a week after the shot before taking her anywhere dog heavy.

Bring with a misting bottle of water on walks. Give her a light spray on the belly side and head to help keep her cool. Make sure you dry off when you get home. Of course water to drink too. Teach her now to drink from a water bottle :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Oh I used to live about an hour from there in Morgantown :)

Yes, very close! Too bad you're not still close, we could do a play date!

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Puppy class worked amazing for duchess and her socialization. She did a 4 week course called "wee-ones" from 9-13 weeks, Then a 6 week puppy manners class from 15-21 weeks. I learned alot and so did she. One thing I learned that worked amazing was when she mouths on you get some mouthwash rub it on whatever she is mouthing on and then in her mouth, tell her no. This is non harmful and they HATE the taste and wow within a week she stopped mouthing! Now she is 6.5 months old and -knock on wood- doesn't chew ANYTHING except her toys! Even now when she sees the bottle of mouthwash she will start barking at it and run straight to her bed! LOL, its rather funny!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Puppy class worked amazing for duchess and her socialization. She did a 4 week course called "wee-ones" from 9-13 weeks, Then a 6 week puppy manners class from 15-21 weeks. I learned alot and so did she. One thing I learned that worked amazing was when she mouths on you get some mouthwash rub it on whatever she is mouthing on and then in her mouth, tell her no. This is non harmful and they HATE the taste and wow within a week she stopped mouthing! Now she is 6.5 months old and -knock on wood- doesn't chew ANYTHING except her toys! Even now when she sees the bottle of mouthwash she will start barking at it and run straight to her bed! LOL, its rather funny!

Hmmmm mouthwash. I might try that. I tried hot sauce in XXX strength - Herman was stunned by it initially, but loved it so it didnt help. He thought it was a tasty topping on my furniture.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hmmmm mouthwash. I might try that. I tried hot sauce in XXX strength - Herman was stunned by it initially, but loved it so it didnt help. He thought it was a tasty topping on my furniture.

LOL - sounds like my Tuni....I bought the sour apple stuff and of course she likes it. I basically doused my whole body in it and nothing stops her. I've also heard about that breath spray...binaca? I'm not sure if they're safe or not though

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have always had more than one pet in the house so it was a little easier to socialize Amber but if there is a doggie day care close by maybe that could be an option. Still need all the shots, Amber never had any problems with her shots but I stayed home with her the day of and the day after shots to make sure there were no reactions of any kind. We usually play fetch everyday and chase to release penned up energy. Also a semi-flat soccer ball works get for them to play with in the back yard. Amber likes to drag the golf clubs around too. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.