Help Needed! Potty training Roadblock - HELP!!

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Abbey was doing great on potty training until recently, and we hit a brick wall. We live in a condo and started potty training by taking Abbey out on a leash to the grassy common area. But 2 weeks ago, they re-sodded and put down heavy duty fertilizer pellets. So we have been trying to transition her into pottying in our enclosed patio area. There's no grass, and she didn't like the mulch when it got wet, so my hubby spent last Sunday replacing the mulch with river stones and pebbles. She still isn't great about going potty out there. Before we switched, she was ringing a bell every time she needed to go potty. Now, she will squat right in front of us!! :confused:

I've tried standing out there with her (for almost 2 hours) and keeping her on leash so she can't go anywhere without me and 'clicking and treating' when she does go potty out in the patio area but she just took a pee right in front of me again. I'm out of ideas. The grassy area isn't safe for her to be in and we'd really like to be able to open the back door and let her out whenever she needs to go. I need any Bulldoggie advice you have!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Oh man, when they can't go where they want to...boooooy do they cop attitude ! I'm sorry I don't have any ideas for you :( but just to let you know you aren't alone !

We made a 'Pee Patch' out in the yard for Gizmo, and she always used it, until we got Hershey... now she doesn't want to go where he has gone, but he wants to go where Gizmo goes, she'll run around the little patio/pee patch going in circles trying to decide where to go. its aggravating at times!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
are you allowed to put down a small patch of grass in your patio area? or is there another patch of grass somewhere close you could walk to with her that is somewhat near the common area she is use to?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No ideas here. Boy they sure messed up your potty training though didn't they?

:bump:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Oh no! it will kind of be like starting over from the beginning. When/if she pees inside, just keep taking her out to the .... rocks :( ... and carry her out if necessary. She's probably thinking she'll be going out to the patch and is holding it until she cant hold it anymore (or she is just giving you attitude LOL). Good luck!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
It may not be pretty but what if you got some sort of astroturf to put where the river rocks are? Or maybe a pee pee pad?

OP
WestminsterAbbey

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
She's doing a bit better. Only one accident yesterday, when a guest was leaving and Abbey was behind the baby gate. She actually peed in the gravel! A first!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Glad its getting better...Brutus was tough to train and didnt want to be alone for a long time. She just may be a little confused right now and keep doing what your doing by rewarding her when she goes. Keep her closse to you when she is out of the crate to prevent accidents and try to see the trigger and caatch her before she goes..Its def easier said than done lol Good Luck :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If possible, I think I may have pulled up some of the grass (or sod if possible) from where she peed BEFORE and put it where you want her to go next. That may have helped with her changing her mind about where she's supposed to go. The good news is that dogs adapt quickly and she's already figuring it out. Good job, Abbey! It's funny how they get stuck on peeing in a specific place -- but forcing them to use options is important too.

Bea used to be completely UNABLE to pee at the park. She refused. We'd go to the park, spend quality time there, running around, and we'd have to go into the dog yard when we got HOME so she could pee. This went on for an entire year!!! Conversely, when we were "on the road" somewhere, she'd pee in a strange place almost "on demand". I'd say, "Potty Peez" and whomp; there she'd go, must to the amazement of anyone watching. Now, her "on the road" pees are far more discriminating. It takes her a multitude of sniffs and turns before she'll settle down and choose a spot to pee on. Even in the park near our house where she goes EVERY SINGLE DAY at least once. Meanwhile, Bo will pee whenever or where ever and, as a boy, prefers to "spread the love around" when taking a leak. He's not picky in the least.

These dogs are kooky.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
augh, so sorry to hear about everything. My vote would be to true the grass approach on the patio and see if that helps. Plus that's got to be a lot easier than taking him out! Starting over could be beneficial. Good luck darlin'!

OP
WestminsterAbbey

WestminsterAbbey

Aug 30, 2012
Columbus, OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey and Oliver
Just wanted to update...Abbey is doing great! She pees and poos in the gravel area out back. She's had a handful of accidents but almost all were our fault. She won't ring the bell but she will go to the back door.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.