Help Needed! Just got a Bulldog and in need of some assistance

Purebred

Sep 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Onyx
Just got a bulldog pup from inlaws for my sons present this week. His name is Onyx hes 6mnths old and already has some noticeable bad habits. My main concern for now is toilet training him. He poos and wees everywhere and doesnt listen to anything i try say and do lol.

I have no idea what im doing so any help would be much appreciated thankyou.

Also any good food tipps on what to give him please.

Attachments

• spec1.jpg
    spec1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 196

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. Ive never had a pup so I can't help. Just wanted to say hello and say what a darling puppy and little boy you have. :love:

L

Lucy-licious

If you notice him squatting to pee, poop, a swift NO then either scoop him up and put him outside or rush him outside (shoo, shoo style) The NO is usually enough to stop him whilst you get him out...then lots if praise and treats for doing business outside. At 6 months he won't need to go as much as a younger pup..but for now maybe start that way and take him out every couple if hours and tell him go pee pee, always use the same command and always praise after....try to ignore his wanting to play until he has done business..and keep repeating go pee pee (or whatever)

As for business in the house, don't scold or shout (attention is attention to a puppy) just clean it up and take the mess straight out to the bin :) if you are frustrated try aiming it at the mess rather than him. Potty training isn't easy, but try not to stress, he will get it eventually :hug:

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I never had a puppy, but I know this site holds tons of useful information. Take some time to look through the topics and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. By the way, those pics are cuteness overload!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Here is a link to the bringing home your new puppy page
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=354-Welcoming-Home-Your-New-Bulldog-Puppy

Check out the learning center on the site, it basically has everything you could possibly ever have a question about in there. And if you can't find it, ask there are tons of us here that have had and currently do have puppies. Don't be shy, all we ask for is lots of pictures :2thumbs:

:welcome3: as far as him doing his business wherever and whenever [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] nailed it, just be consistent in the wording that you, and everyone in the household uses. We found that was a big help with Bacon's training once my wife and I started using the same terms when trying to get him to do something. Be patient he will learn

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Welcome! Onyx is so adorable!!!
For getting him to listen to you more, you might want to try a clicker and irresistible treats! Look up clicker training, keep his mind busy on learning good behaviors (and treats) - that will keep him away from naughty habits. But you have to be consistent and keep it up like everyone else says.

Also, do you have a crate for Onyx? He will need his own personal space as well. This will also help with potty training.

OP
Purebred

Purebred

Sep 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Onyx
Hey guys thanks for the tips and help. Didnt expect so much already. Will let know how things go.
The pic thats attatched to what i wrote, how do i make it my profile pic?
I tried to look at failed lol.

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Ahh, that is one thing you may have to overcome- Bulldogs are stubborn as HECK. Roxy just looks at me disdainfully if I tell her to do something she doesn't feel like doing... like to get in her crate for bed if she is laying on the couch or something. She just "HMPH"s and looks away from me and pretends to be sleeping when I know she's wide awake.

They do have personality, that's for sure... ;P

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Read all you can about crate training and get a crate for the potty thing. That will help a lot. And remember, they don't call them bull headed bullys for nothing. You've got to be s strong leader.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs ... there is nothing better!!! Consistency Consistency Consistency in all aspects of training with your new little fur-baby ... having scheduled meal times is a way to also help with knowing when your dog will need to potty, like others have said use the same phrase each time and just make a potty schedule in the beginning, it's lots of work but pays off in the end.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: I would tether him to you all the time he is awake. This makes you aware and its almost impossible to miss his signs of having to go. You will get to recognize his moves and then can whisk him out with a no..and praise him when successful! It won't take long for him to catch on!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: an please don't rub his nose in it when he does go inside he will think that you are mad at him for going an then will start to hide to go potty I would take him out every 2 hours Franklin's going to be 6 months on the 22 an I take him out every 3 to 4 hours but since yours isn't trained I would do 2 good luck an if you ever need help I have a baby to so don't be afraid to ask

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Crate training is awesome I would take my dog out usually 5-10 mins after he eats and drinks, to do his business. once he gets the hang of it and once you recognize his signs of having to go, I have mine on some sort of a schedule like first thing in the morning before i leave for work which is after they eat when i get home after dinner and before we all go to sleep. Best of luck and don't give up. I 've learned when they have an accident it's usually because i was busy and not paying attention

flower

Sep 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
.I would isolate him to the kitchen area only...when your not at home put him in his crate. he wont dirty his crate. right now he thinks the whole house is his toilet, thats a no no......take him out every two hours and praise him when he goes....If you put him in a crate remember to take him out immediately when you take him out of the crate, even before his little feet toiuch the floor!!!♥

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
You've got some good advice. All I can add is to watch him closely and when he starts sniffing the floor it is time to take him outside! Welcome to EBN!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online