Help Needed! He is making it very hard to love him

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Otis that is. Ever since we moved he is a brand new dog. One that I'm ashamed to say that I don't like very much. He is possession aggressive. When he gets something in his mouth he won't let go. He runs with it and if you chase him he will throw his body on top of it and almost dare you to take it from him. He will growl at you and sometimes wrap his teeth around your hand or arm if you are trying to take it. He doesn't actually bite, but he applies enough pressure to make it hurt. He eats EVERYTHING! In the month that we have been in the house he has eaten 5 shoes, Roxy's bowl, the swiffer, 2 tv remotes, 3 dog beds and a couple of baby toys.

Last night was an adventure. My son brought my granddaughter for a visit. I bought her one of those roll up play mat things. Jimmy took it out of the box and before he could look back down Otis had appeared out of nowhere and took off with one of the stuffed animals that came with it. By the time we got him under control, 2 of the toys had been shredded. Later, he came running out of Joe's room with his boxers in his mouth. I told him to sit. He sat. I said drop it. He tilted his head and looked at me as if I were crazy. DROP IT! and he took off!

Yet this destructive, insane dog will sit and wait patiently for his food. He won't eat until I tell him it ok. I can take his bowl away while he is eating any time I need to, he just sits and waits for me to give it back. He is SO gentile when I hand feed him or give him treats. Then he turns back into crazy dog using everything from the couch to my arm as a chew toy.

I love him so much but he isn't making it easy.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: Sounds like total case of insecurity! He was still learning his place and then a big change. I have had destructive traits show up in a couple rescue dogs. My vet explained it as this...Until they feel at peace, they will show many different sorts of bad behavior. Surprisingly, the more comfortable they feel, often the behavior will become worse. They actually regress and then slowly advance from puppyhood to where they are in actual age. A full grown dog can and often does revert to al the bad puppy traits. peeing,chewing,everything. We just kept up the reassurance and consistency. It was so interesting, once we knew what to look for. We could actually watch them move through stages of their lives that we weren't around for. I think I would just correct over and over. Loving him and lettting the good come through. You of all people can handle it. Not fun...but I looked on it as a healing process. From the soul outward. :hug:

Now..I have no explanation as to why Jake loves to destroy so much!! :bang:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
How old is Otis?

We think he's 3. He's a rescue so we're not 100% sure. 56 pounds tho, I'd guess that makes him an adult right?

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I wonder if he's picking up on the stress that I've been dealing with? I hope not coz I don't know how to destress myself let alone the dog :confused:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I'd say major changes (what JakeisGreat said)...hope he'll settle down soon. Don't give up on Otis! Sending hugs!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree 100% with what [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] just said ... plus he may be getting more confident that he's not going to lose his home any second and is now trying to test the boundaries a bit more.

You just need to keep it consistent ... and sadly, yes, he will be picking up on all the stress you are feeling right now. Bullies above any other dog are very good at that!! So maybe you just need to work on de-stressing each other!! :yes:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I was just curious if it was puppy behavior but at that age I would assume it's past

Adult dogs that are rescued very often revert back to puppy behavior. It's part of their healing process.

We think he's 3. He's a rescue so we're not 100% sure. 56 pounds tho, I'd guess that makes him an adult right?

@JAKEISGREAT I wonder if he's picking up on the stress that I've been dealing with? I hope not coz I don't know how to destress myself let alone the dog :confused:

Im sure he is, but most of the stress he is acting on is coming from HIM. Even though he's grown, on the inside he's not. our Rottie took about a year to truly settle in. Our Dena Dog took longer. In fact, hers didn't even show up until she had been with us for about 6 months! Then WHAM! Out of the blue she was like a very bad pup! She was very near a feral dog and had many issues! :bang: But she's doing great now!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
a year?!?!? OMG I won't have anything left! lol

Ohhhhh YES you will! :ROFL: It will all just look different! you know, like every rug in your house having rounded corners that have been chewed off. Or Cat scratchers that have been"remodeled", Or a pair of pillow shams that isn't a "pair" anymore!! Or Wood shutters that have teeth marks on all the bottom rails!! House Beautiful it won't be...but Who cares??? :biglaugh:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ohhhhh YES you will! :ROFL: It will all just look different! you know, like every rug in your house having rounded corners that have been chewed off. Or Cat scratchers that have been"remodeled", Or a pair of pillow shams that isn't a "pair" anymore!! Or Wood shutters that have teeth marks on all the bottom rails!! House Beautiful it won't be...but Who cares??? :biglaugh:

seems to be spoken from experience .... :giggle:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think He just needs to get use to the new place. That said, my Mocha will do some of those things herself! Yesterday she comes running down the hallway with a roll of toilet paper in her mouth and She knows she is doing a bad thing because when I say drop it she feels so ashamed!!! Well before she felt ashamed we had to chase her around the house for it! i think sometimes they get bored and they like to spice things up!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.