Help Needed! He is making it very hard to love him

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think He just needs to get use to the new place. That said, my Mocha will do some of those things herself! Yesterday she comes running down the hallway with a roll of toilet paper in her mouth and She knows she is doing a bad thing because when I say drop it she feels so ashamed!!! Well before she felt ashamed we had to chase her around the house for it! i think sometimes they get bored and they like to spice things up!!!

Jake likes it REALY spicy! :cursing:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hang in there [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]!

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - how do you recapture the item in his mouth without making it the most fun game of keep away ever? I saw a Boston on the Dog Whisperer show one time that loved to steal things and be chased.... I can't remember how that was resolved? Bo likes to take grandma's shoes (hey, she leaves these delicious leather toys on the floor....) and he "sneaks" them into the living room - but he gives them up when caught. He seems to know he's not supposed to have a shoe.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
how do you recapture the item in his mouth without making it the most fun game of keep away ever?

That's a very good question! Last night Otis fixated on this orange stuffed frog that Joe has. He'd grab it and run. If you chase him he runs and actually looks HAPPY. If you don't chase him, he settles in a corner and starts chewing. As soon as you get near him he either takes off running or throws himself on top growling at you to get away from HIS frog. Last night it was the frog but it could be anything he has his mouth on

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hang in there @Twice!

@JAKEISGREAT - how do you recapture the item in his mouth without making it the most fun game of keep away ever? I saw a Boston on the Dog Whisperer show one time that loved to steal things and be chased.... I can't remember how that was resolved? Bo likes to take grandma's shoes (hey, she leaves these delicious leather toys on the floor....) and he "sneaks" them into the living room - but he gives them up when caught. He seems to know he's not supposed to have a shoe.

Sadly, if he has something in his mouth, it's usually damaged already! He eats and runs!! :cursing: He will drop if he thinks we are serious, which must involve my voice! His favorite game of keep away is him running circles around us while we stand holding his harness! He goes through this ritual and always ends up at the front door! He's worn out before we even leave the house for a walk! :bang:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My Otis does this ALL the time, he thinks it's playing - he knows it's bad but grabs my shoe anyway - if I don't make a move for it - he'll try to get my attention by barking or running around my with it - then I grab for it and the chase is on.....I swear at times he's my devil child and then when he's sleepy he's my little angel.

I use a spray water bottle to get things from him because just the sight of it makes he lie down. (most times) It's a game I hope he grows out of.

I wish you the best with him and LOADS of patience as it seems your is running thin (and for very good reason)

My vet said he is like a child pushing his boundries constantly and I have to constantly reinforce our rules.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Ah, that is very annoying. Have you tried crate training? Matilda hasn't chewed anything that wasn't hers in my home, because she is being crate trained and therefore doesn't have the opportunity! For almost a month, she was under 100% supervision every time she was out of her crate, so it was very easy to correct her if she started chewing on the wrong things. You can even use a leash in the home to make sure he doesn't get away from you. After she stopped trying to chew, she got a little more freedom. Now she mostly stays out while we're home (unless I'm working from home) and is only in the crate at night/when we're gone.

As for "drop it", Matilda's trainer taught me a great trick! Keep treats out and handy since this seems to be a constant thing. When Otis grabs something that isn't his, say "drop it" and shove the treat in front of his face. You basically trade him. He drops it for the treat, and gets the reward. He'll learn soon enough what is his to chew and what isn't. Dogs want to please you, you just have to explain to them (in a way they understand) how to do so. If you're not having aggression otherwise (especially food aggression), it seems like this will be very easy to fix!

And you could always consult a professional - just to teach him basic manners!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
That's a very good question! Last night Otis fixated on this orange stuffed frog that Joe has. He'd grab it and run. If you chase him he runs and actually looks HAPPY. If you don't chase him, he settles in a corner and starts chewing. As soon as you get near him he either takes off running or throws himself on top growling at you to get away from HIS frog. Last night it was the frog but it could be anything he has his mouth on

Don't chase him. Bribe him! :D Get his favorite treats or if that doesn't work, string cheese! They will come for the food, and then you trade them for it. Matilda goes crazy for a stuffed kong with the cheesy spray filler! haha

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Don't chase him. Bribe him! :D Get his favorite treats or if that doesn't work, string cheese! They will come for the food, and then you trade them for it. Matilda goes crazy for a stuffed kong with the cheesy spray filler! haha

I think that might work to a point -- but my concern is teaching a dog essentially that chewing on things will result in a tasty treat. I like the "drop it" + trade as a training tool to start with. What I like even more is when the dog relinquishes whatever it is - especially their toys - just because the pack leader wants it. Toys should be a privilege for a dog with possession issues and metered out purposefully by the human pack leader.

Bea and Bo have a giant red bucket full of stuff -- it's ridicules how much crap they have -- but if they have something and I want it - they will immediately give it up. Bea was the worst about this as a pup. Horrible. We accomplished this through the same leadership exercises I used later when Bo came along and they'd squabble over a toy. Because I have claimed the toy thru energy / body language it's not either of theirs to squabble over and that lesson is certainly ONGOING for all of us! LOL At their young ages, it doesn't seem to be something you can teach once -- like "sit" -- It's accomplished through a daily practice of pack leadership. Giving up something wonderful is a hard thing to do for a pup!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names

But doesn't giving him treats when he chews something he isn't supposed to just like rewarding him for bad behavior?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I think that might work to a point -- but my concern is teaching a dog essentially that chewing on things will result in a tasty treat. I like the "drop it" + trade as a training tool to start with. What I like even more is when the dog relinquishes whatever it is - especially their toys - just because the pack leader wants it. Toys should be a privilege for a dog with possession issues and metered out purposefully by the human pack leader.

Bea and Bo have a giant red bucket full of stuff -- it's ridicules how much crap they have -- but if they have something and I want it - they will immediately give it up. Bea was the worst about this as a pup. Horrible. We accomplished this through the same leadership exercises I used later when Bo came along and they'd squabble over a toy. Because I have claimed the toy thru energy / body language it's not either of theirs to squabble over and that lesson is certainly ONGOING for all of us! LOL At their young ages, it doesn't seem to be something you can teach once -- like "sit" -- It's accomplished through a daily practice of pack leadership. Giving up something wonderful is a hard thing to do for a pup!

EBN Dog whisperer! Great advice ! Are you coming to Jersey anytime soon?

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] :hmm: Brutus is very bad boy now! Member the play date we were gonna have ummm call it Training Session Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
But doesn't giving him treats when he chews something he isn't supposed to just like rewarding him for bad behavior?

No, you're rewarding him for "drop it". Practice with his own toys, too! He will soon understand that if he drops whatever it is when you tell him too, there will be a reward!

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Usually I have found that a "trade" of sorts will work for getting things away from Roxy she is not supposed to have. Most times she will give it up, but sometimes my combat boots are just too tempting to let go of. I offer her a piece of jerky in exchange and usually she'd rather have that anyhow.

Typically though, if she has something she knows she isn't supposed to or does something she isn't supposed to (like last night she got up and pee'd on my computer chair!!) she will run into her crate and pre-reprimand herself for whatever it is before I even get the chance to say anything to her... LOL

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Just to update this with a progress report...

I ordered one of those e-collars from Amazon. I put it on him for the first time Friday night and only vibrated him once. Ever since then if he is doing something, chewing something, or going somewhere he isn't supposed to, all I have to do is grab the remote. As soon as he sees it he immediately stops. :)

He has been such a good boy this weekend, he's like a whole new dog!