"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: He is making it very hard to love him

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Don't chase him. Bribe him! Get his favorite treats or if that doesn't work, string cheese! They will come for the food, and then you trade them for it. Matilda goes crazy for a stuffed kong with the cheesy spray filler! haha
    I think that might work to a point -- but my concern is teaching a dog essentially that chewing on things will result in a tasty treat. I like the "drop it" + trade as a training tool to start with. What I like even more is when the dog relinquishes whatever it is - especially their toys - just because the pack leader wants it. Toys should be a privilege for a dog with possession issues and metered out purposefully by the human pack leader.

Bea and Bo have a giant red bucket full of stuff -- it's ridicules how much crap they have -- but if they have something and I want it - they will immediately give it up. Bea was the worst about this as a pup. Horrible. We accomplished this through the same leadership exercises I used later when Bo came along and they'd squabble over a toy. Because I have claimed the toy thru energy / body language it's not either of theirs to squabble over and that lesson is certainly ONGOING for all of us! LOL At their young ages, it doesn't seem to be something you can teach once -- like "sit" -- It's accomplished through a daily practice of pack leadership. Giving up something wonderful is a hard thing to do for a pup!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    Don't chase him. Bribe him! Get his favorite treats or if that doesn't work, string cheese! They will come for the food, and then you trade them for it. Matilda goes crazy for a stuffed kong with the cheesy spray filler! haha
    But doesn't giving him treats when he chews something he isn't supposed to just like rewarding him for bad behavior?

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    I think that might work to a point -- but my concern is teaching a dog essentially that chewing on things will result in a tasty treat. I like the "drop it" + trade as a training tool to start with. What I like even more is when the dog relinquishes whatever it is - especially their toys - just because the pack leader wants it. Toys should be a privilege for a dog with possession issues and metered out purposefully by the human pack leader.

Bea and Bo have a giant red bucket full of stuff -- it's ridicules how much crap they have -- but if they have something and I want it - they will immediately give it up. Bea was the worst about this as a pup. Horrible. We accomplished this through the same leadership exercises I used later when Bo came along and they'd squabble over a toy. Because I have claimed the toy thru energy / body language it's not either of theirs to squabble over and that lesson is certainly ONGOING for all of us! LOL At their young ages, it doesn't seem to be something you can teach once -- like "sit" -- It's accomplished through a daily practice of pack leadership. Giving up something wonderful is a hard thing to do for a pup!
    EBN Dog whisperer! Great advice ! Are you coming to Jersey anytime soon?

@Twice Brutus is very bad boy now! Member the play date we were gonna have ummm call it Training Session Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    But doesn't giving him treats when he chews something he isn't supposed to just like rewarding him for bad behavior?

No, you're rewarding him for "drop it". Practice with his own toys, too! He will soon understand that if he drops whatever it is when you tell him too, there will be a reward!

Wrinkle Wiper Become a 4 Paw Member Raspberryswirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oswald Cobblepot
    Likes (Received)

Usually I have found that a "trade" of sorts will work for getting things away from Roxy she is not supposed to have. Most times she will give it up, but sometimes my combat boots are just too tempting to let go of. I offer her a piece of jerky in exchange and usually she'd rather have that anyhow.

Typically though, if she has something she knows she isn't supposed to or does something she isn't supposed to (like last night she got up and pee'd on my computer chair!!) she will run into her crate and pre-reprimand herself for whatever it is before I even get the chance to say anything to her... LOL

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just to update this with a progress report...

I ordered one of those e-collars from Amazon. I put it on him for the first time Friday night and only vibrated him once. Ever since then if he is doing something, chewing something, or going somewhere he isn't supposed to, all I have to do is grab the remote. As soon as he sees it he immediately stops.

He has been such a good boy this weekend, he's like a whole new dog!

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Just to update this with a progress report...

I ordered one of those e-collars from Amazon. I put it on him for the first time Friday night and only vibrated him once. Ever since then if he is doing something, chewing something, or going somewhere he isn't supposed to, all I have to do is grab the remote. As soon as he sees it he immediately stops.

He has been such a good boy this weekend, he's like a whole new dog!

Ha! super smart bullie.... You must be pinching yourself. Hopefully just showing him the remote will continue to work...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads