General Question How much out-of-crate time does your puppy get?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My 3 mo. old Matilda is doing great with her crate! She plays quietly and sleeps whenever she is in there. However, I've noticed that I put off my life to make sure she gets enough time out of the crate, and I'm wondering how much time is typical?

Matilda is THE definition of puppy - if she's not hiding it or chewing it, she's peeing on it. We have to watch her every second, so I have to put her in the crate to get some work done (I do a lot of work at home).

This is her basic day *crate wise*:
We wake up around 7-8, she gets a potty break and back in the crate while I shower.
I then feed her and let her run around (in my room/bathroom while I get ready)
I have class for about 3 hours and she is crated, though my sister (and roommate) lets her out for a potty break and sometimes playtime around then
I'm back by noon, she eats, we play, walk, etc.
By 4PM she is usually crated again
At 6PM she eats dinner, we play for an hour or so at least
We usually play until bed (around 10PM) but sometimes I do some work and she'll be crated for a couple hours (but then I'll play with her until midnight).
And being home a lot, we're able to give her constant potty/water breaks.

I'm trying to trust her with more freedom around the house, but she really goes for everything - electrical cords, shoes, etc ! We're also dealing with a UTI situation right now :nope:, so she's been much more limited as of lately. But Matilda is NEVER crated for more than 3 hours at time, except for sleeping (and she sleeps all the way through the night - lucky us!).

How much out-of-crate time do you give your puppy? Do you have to watch him/her every second like Matilda? At what age did you let your pup sleep out of the crate or run around the house without constant supervision (especially while you're still home)?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It has been a while since I had a puppy.... but sound like you have a good schedule and on the right track. My pups are 7 yrs and 1yr... bith have free run at this point... except the little guy is crated when we are not home... like to pee in the house :nonono:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That sounds like a good routine already. All I could add (and you may already do this) is to make sure the door to the crate is open and you may find she goes in there by herself for nap times.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a good routine to me. Now that ours are adults we still crate them when we are gone and at night. Buddy is the only one that gets to stay out when we are gone and that's because he does not bother anything when we are gone. Once they get house trained is when you can leave them out when you are at home and that time just depends on the bully and how much you trust them. Even when they are out you still need to keep an eye on them, you just never know when they will get a wild hair and want to chew something.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
That sounds like a great schedule! Winston is over a year old and still crated when we are not home and at night because he still gets into things! We tried to give him free reign until he got into electrical wires! :nonono: Thankfully he is ok, but no more free reign unless we are home because then he is always by my side like my little shadow so I can keep an eye on him! :heart::heart:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is 9 months and is crated at night and in a day pen with access to an outdoor kennel during the day when we aren't home. We can somewhat trust him to wander freely when we are home but if he gets bored odds are the couch downstairs is going to get attacked.

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
Stoagie is almost 4 months and he is only in his crate when we are both gone or when he wants to be in there. We got him on a schedule for his potty times...once right when we wake up, then again like 2 or 3 hours later, and repeat, he goes like this because he is still small and always has access to water but we've got it pretty timed, whenever he gets up from a nap....it's time to take him out. We also take him for 3 walks throughout the day to run down his energy, one before bedtime. Luckily! He doesn't like to pee or poop in his crate, he holds it. We don't leave any of our personal items on the floor like shoes or anything because I like them to go in the closet....so they aren't a chewing hazard anyways..the only things on the floor are his toys and pillow. Whenever we are in the living room we just close the bathroom, bedroom, and den door so he can only be in certain areas and we can see him but don't really feel the need to watch him closely. It's just all about training her to not touch this or don't go in there, you know?

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Stoagie is adorable!! Seems like he's the same age as Matilda! Does he sleep in bed with you? I'm dying for Matilda to sleep with me but I don't want to screw up her training.

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
Stoagie is adorable!! Seems like he's the same age as Matilda! Does he sleep in bed with you? I'm dying for Matilda to sleep with me but I don't want to screw up her training.

Aw thanks! He's my little baby [: haha and I think they are the same age. Yess he does, he sleeps either by our heads on a body pillow or by our feet usually. I don't think it would screw up her training, Stoagie is doing great with his crate training and he loves to cuddle. lol.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Mine is 11 weeks old and I have been crate training her as well. I have been very careful with what I leave around the house because she will chew on anything. I am also still potty training her and we have more accidents happening than I wished for but I always try to remind myself that she is just a baby. (she drinks TONS of water!!!)
Isabel's schedule goes like this: I wake up at 5:50am and take her out of the crate and take her outside (we live in an apartment complex). Once she goes potty I feed her breakfast and let her play while I get ready, I usually leave to work around 7:30am but my boyfriend take it from there. He usually walks her one more time before he leaves and then he crates her, around 8:30ish. I came back around noon and take her out again but I usually only have 30 minutes to play with her. I usually come back from work around 4:30pm and take her out again and let her play until is bed time for her (around 11ish). I also try to walk her in the evenings to burn some energy and sometimes I even take her to the dog park which is just a few blocks from my place.

That's pretty much my schedule, on the weekend we have been adding lots of activities that will include her. But I havent been able to do a lot of things because I want to spend time with her and also take her out of the crate... and that includes gym time for me :(

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hmm maybe I'll just try sleeping with Matilda and see how she does!

Mizinha, oh I know the feeling! I have to keep reminding myself that I have things to do outside of puppy time! The good thing is that puppies sleep so much, so thankful for that! Have you tried puppy playtime? Matilda does puppy kindergarten at Petsmart and gets to play with other dogs then, but they also offer what they call puppy playtime - it's free, all the pups are vaccinated, and you basically just take them and watch all the puppies play for about an hour. It's not only adorable, they come home EXHAUSTED, and get socialization/bite inhibition training as well!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
That is a great idea, I will call the Petsmart close to my place and check on the puppy playtime for her. Thanks for sharing!!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I am a big believer in crate training. As others have posted, if they are started off in crate training, this becomes a safe place for them. When carpet cleaners come over, repair people or even when TOO many people are over for a party or event, having a safe place is important for a Bulldog.

Your schedule seems to work. The older your dog gets the more free time can be out. But you will discover that even leaving the crates open, your dog will just decide to go in and lay down for a nap.

Good Day~

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Petsmart do not offer puppy play time here in Houston.... :( too bad, the idea sounded so cute!

Izzy loves her crate, I leave the door open and often times she goes there by herself and plays inside her crate when we are home. As much as I wish I could spend 24/7 with her I have been noticing that every time I come home she looks so sleepy! That makes me feel a little better about leaving her alone, it means that she probably naps all day when we are not around.

Also as much as I love taking her out for walks and exercise she acts the happiest when she is back home playing with her toys! :)

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
That is a great idea, I will call the Petsmart close to my place and check on the puppy playtime for her. Thanks for sharing!!!

Sure! Petco does it as well, so I swap between them based on the times we can make it :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.