Help Needed! boot camp advise PLEASE

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
ok so as you guys know,ive been struggling w Tank and getting him to walk on a leash without him walking me. Ive bought the easy walk harness...he drage me, i was suggested a prong collar bought that too. after 2 days (3 walks (about 15 min each)w prong collar ive noticed his neck is irritated cus he still pulls. the only command this dog knows is sit and god help if distracted...so i went and spoke w a training facility today about options in training and they suggested for him to learn basic obedience 1 on 1 training for a week w boarding,its like $700. They are voted one of the best in my area (bradenton fl). others that i saw ( von asguard ) were $885-995 for doggy boot camp and boarding. Has anyone had experience w using this method?its ALOT of money but if its worth it to have a fully trained obedient dog ....maybe its worth it? can anyone give me any input here....BTW the trainer said NOT to use a prong collar but to get him an easy walk harness that clips in front which i ALREADY have.Im supposed to take him tomorrow for a free consult and eval but wanted to consult w more advanced owners. i know this may be repetitive to some but i know we have new member joining all the time.is this a worthy investment or not really? thank u , any input would be helpful.:pouting:

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
Here's the deal with dog training: YOU need to commit to it. Sure the trainers at doggie bootcamp can get you a well-behaved, perfectly trained dog..who will only work for them. Your dog is being taken out of your home, interacting with strangers that have dog training experience, of course the obedience course will work. If you don't feel comfortable managing the training after the camp, the cost is worthless. Training with all animals is on going, they are always thinking and changing..and therefore their training needs to adapt to their needs. The day camp ends, the trainer can show you how your dog can sit, stay, down, heel, and be a perfect angel. And then you get home, and he doesn't do any of these things for you because you're his mom, not the trainer. You need to be BOTH.
Not that this was your plan, but many people try to just throw a lot money at a training program and then give up saying their dog is "untrainable" when it doesn't work when they get home.
If I were you, I'd look for a training program that has you involved. Our humane society offers dog training classes for $100 for 7 classes. The classes are more aimed at the people than the dogs. The trainer will tell you what you should do to get your dog to do what you want. Does that make sense? He will look at your training style, or your behaviors and give you corrections. For example "stand closer to the dog when asking him to walk"...basically the dog trainer will help change your style to make your commands easier for your dog to understand.
Ultimately training should be a process for both you and your pup, so that after class is over, you still have the control/technique to walk properly.

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Taylor i know ,and i know what you are saying makes perfect sense, its just of where my life sits at this time...im on medical leave and will return to work in 2 weeks and will have a schedule anywhere from 7 am -10pm .so i cant necessarily guarantee that ill be off at the time the classes start so thats why i thought this was a more convenient option. i have no problem dedicating the time to maintain the lesson learnedwhen i am home, its just when i do go back to work ,my scheule isnt set. They did offer me the 6 week evening course but that doesnt help me if i cant make it to the class. or mayb i need to wait until i have another job w a set schedule . i used to work 4am-1 pm. but i lost my position since ive been out for so long, so i have NO IDEA what im about to go back to.just thought id see what others thought,its not like im on a life or death situation,But thought it seemed convenient if they could do 1 day instead of 6 wk one hour courses. but i do understand. im trying to make the best out of it and if its just gonna take time i accept that. he doesnt need any fancy tricks, i honestly would be happy if i could simply walk him.i appreciate your answer.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
No problem, I think it's great you're exploring all your options at the moment. My fear for you is that you'll pay this money, send your dog to camp...he will be an angel and walk well, and they won't give you any help with your problem. Good luck with your decision!

Also what we did (my dog works well for me, not for my boyfriend) was trained her to "target"

Put your palm out and tell your dog to target. When he puts his nose up to your hand, say "GOOD" and give a treat. After this behavior becomes strong, you can walk ahead of your dog, say "target" and he will come to you to touch your hand, and get a treat. Keep going and eventually you'll be walking!

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
i just contacted our local humane society (thanks for tip,never thought of that) and am waiting for a response i have to imagine it will be cheaper...and they work w me.Im really trying i just feel like a failure at the moment but im not giving up. just need to find a way to make it work :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=5363]Taylor[/MENTION] and she has given you some great advise. I myself would not trust my bully with a boot camp. Too many horror stories. I would suggest finding a trainer that will work with you at your home.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Maybe he needs a treadmill workout for 5-10 mins before you go for your walk with him. A tired dog is a good dog

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
I'm in agreement too. The training has to involve both you and Tank. I had a rescue Bullmastiff that wasn't well behaved. I found a local class being put on by the Golden Retriever club but all kinds of dogs and their owners were welcome. It was a 4 week course with 2 classes a week, but they held them at multiple times so if you couldn't make on Monday night the same class was available on Tues., etc. May want to check with some other breeder groups in the area.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with everyone. I just wanted to say that we use a "target" like command with "watch me". When we say that, ours must look to our faces and focus.

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
A friend of mine swears by the training boot camps. His dogs have always been very well behaved. He has German Shepards and they train them using German commands, which he had to learn.

But personally, I think its a bit much. I agree with everyone else, you need to part of the training - not for Tank - but so you learn how to keep him trained. So he learns that you are the Alpha in your house that he has to follow.

I understand completely about working odd hours. It really hard finding anything local that offers classes when I am available. I am actually considering taking lessons on how to be a trainer that way I'll be able to work around my hours... lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
do they have the option of coming to you home for a session?

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
ok so as you guys know,ive been struggling w Tank and getting him to walk on a leash without him walking me. Ive bought the easy walk harness...he drage me, i was suggested a prong collar bought that too. after 2 days (3 walks (about 15 min each)w prong collar ive noticed his neck is irritated cus he still pulls. the only command this dog knows is sit and god help if distracted...so i went and spoke w a training facility today about options in training and they suggested for him to learn basic obedience 1 on 1 training for a week w boarding,its like $700. They are voted one of the best in my area (bradenton fl). others that i saw ( von asguard ) were $885-995 for doggy boot camp and boarding. Has anyone had experience w using this method?its ALOT of money but if its worth it to have a fully trained obedient dog ....maybe its worth it? can anyone give me any input here....BTW the trainer said NOT to use a prong collar but to get him an easy walk harness that clips in front which i ALREADY have.Im supposed to take him tomorrow for a free consult and eval but wanted to consult w more advanced owners. i know this may be repetitive to some but i know we have new member joining all the time.is this a worthy investment or not really? thank u , any input would be helpful.:pouting:

I can feel your frustration and fear just jumping off the computer screen and I'm sure Tank senses it too. Not good for either of you. I live in Sarasota and when we got Dublin as a pup we wanted to have the best training for her and met with a trainer who does the training and boarding and for the life of me can't remember his name. He has a wonderful reputation in the area and we did meet with him and really felt that he was genuine. He spent time with Dublin and told us out straight that she didnt' need his level of "hands on" training. I like that about him. he gave us great tips and never asked for a penny. I think it might be the same person you are referring to.
That was two years ago and I know if I googled him right now I would know who it is. If you private message me I can certainly tell you who not to spend. our money on in the area. Dont' want to put it on here. I love Taylor's advice and everyone here just has a wealth of information to share. I feel you need more but as everyone says no matter how much training and help you get, you must be able to follow up and stay focused and consistent. I do think you need some kind of break right now and the investment of money may be worth it for both of you. Again private message me and I will gladly reply..Ann

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I can feel your frustration and fear just jumping off the computer screen and I'm sure Tank senses it too. Not good for either of you. I live in Sarasota and when we got Dublin as a pup we wanted to have the best training for her and met with a trainer who does the training and boarding and for the life of me can't remember his name. He has a wonderful reputation in the area and we did meet with him and really felt that he was genuine. He spent time with Dublin and told us out straight that she didnt' need his level of "hands on" training. I like that about him. he gave us great tips and never asked for a penny. I think it might be the same person you are referring to.
That was two years ago and I know if I googled him right now I would know who it is. If you private message me I can certainly tell you who not to spend. our money on in the area. Dont' want to put it on here. I love Taylor's advice and everyone here just has a wealth of information to share. I feel you need more but as everyone says no matter how much training and help you get, you must be able to follow up and stay focused and consistent. I do think you need some kind of break right now and the investment of money may be worth it for both of you. Again private message me and I will gladly reply..Ann

i think i pm'd you...hope i did it right lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yes they do $125 an hr..

that is a fair price..... have you thought of that... you may only need an hour. do they charge for follow up or is it part of the 125 fee?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online