Help Needed! boot camp advise PLEASE

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
They said an hour won't do squat. They also offer a 4 hr drop off for 125 but they said that since he doesn't know anything other than sit (when there's no distractions). He would need more. But I'm taking him tomorrow for a free evaluation at the center.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They said an hour won't do squat. They also offer a 4 hr drop off for 125 but they said that since he doesn't know anything other than sit (when there's no distractions). He would need more. But I'm taking him tomorrow for a free evaluation at the center.

good luck... keep us posted on how the evaluation goes

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have done the training boot camp thing for my Rotty, Moses. It was called "guard dog boot camp" or something like that. Rotts and GSDs. I was miserable. My dog was gone for about a month. I was allowed to "visit" and see his progress. I didnt like that he stayed in an outdoor kennel, but they seemed to have taken very good care of him. And he did learn stuff and retained some of it when he got home. I think I sent him there at about 6 months old, he was big, but he could have been a little younger. The reason we sent him there was for obedience before he got too big and strong.

Like people have already said, even if you do send Tank to a boot camp (I don't suggest you do, speaking from experience), it's still going to be up to you to maintain the training. If there is a 1-on-1 option in your home, then I'd definitely choose that. And it has to really be consistent.

What types of training have you tried? Have you tried clicker training with irresistable treats? They must be irresistable to work.

OP
SuggieMama

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ok so we just left our behaviour consult w Tank and we were told he's a pretty good boy overall and they think 1 session in our home would solve most our minimal issues!!!! WHEW!!!! So thankful for their honesty. So now I get to go home and fill out his registration papers for our visit! I'll keep u all posted. Thank you for all your input :)!!! Happy mama I am. Just not a good trainer lol . But it's a learning process.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy it went well and they were honest, that kind of worried me. So sounds like you are on your way. Let us know how the first training goes.

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Good luck - and don't forget to keep at it!!! Tank will train you too (you just have to pay attention) LOL

Members online

No members online now.