General Question New development in his nighttime behavior!

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
For the past few nights around 930 pm until I go to bed (around 11 or midnight) my little Stoagie is growlie and jumpy and just overall hyper....not growlie in like an aggressive way just like a play way. When I sit he jumps at me at the couch repeatedly, when I walk away he jumps at my legs and chases me even though I am not running, just overall hyperness he doesn't express throughout the day. I walk him multiple times a day, I play with him with his toys, but for some reason he's just really hyper right now and its kind of disruptive because I get sleepy and lazy around this time and just want to relax really lol.:bitching:

He will be 4 months old on Sept. 4th.

Anyone have any idea why he is suddenly acting like this???:confused:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
No idea here, why he's acting like that, but he is getting something out of it. I would just totally ignore it and the second he stops, reward that. Or maybe go for a walk at that time when he has all that energy or redirect the energy to something else...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No advice really, just sounds like crazy puppy energy. Miila at 2 years old still gets a spurt of crazies about the time my daughter goes to bed. Since it isn't playtime I ignore it and she settles back down.

BullDogGunner

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
LOL welcome to my life with Gunner. Since he was about 12 weeks old this has been happening with him. He's 8 months old. I have called the breeder on several occasions for a refund. I want to know when the lazy dog that sleeps most of the day appears... I put country music on for him and it calms him down and he goes to sleep finally. (I learned this from the Neonatal unit at the Childrens hospital)

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
I have heard it called the 'puppy crazies' - its just like a burst of energy and it's normal. If I remember correctly they just need to expend some extra energy they have. Maybe get his attention and teach him some tricks that use brain power - that seems to drain any energy they have LOL

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup has been doing this since we brought him home at 8 weeks old. At first, we were alarmed and thought something was wrong, but now we know its just "crazy dog" time. It's almost like a Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde thing and my sweet docile pup goes wild! It's quite entertaining, though :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
For the past few nights around 930 pm until I go to bed (around 11 or midnight) my little Stoagie is growlie and jumpy and just overall hyper....not growlie in like an aggressive way just like a play way. When I sit he jumps at me at the couch repeatedly, when I walk away he jumps at my legs and chases me even though I am not running, just overall hyperness he doesn't express throughout the day. I walk him multiple times a day, I play with him with his toys, but for some reason he's just really hyper right now and its kind of disruptive because I get sleepy and lazy around this time and just want to relax really lol.:bitching:

He will be 4 months old on Sept. 4th.

Anyone have any idea why he is suddenly acting like this???:confused:

HAHA, I knew his age before you even wrote it. My 3 mo old is the same way. I don't know if you're crate training, but the way I get her to settle down before bed time is I crate her with a stuffed kong. She likes the spray filler the best (puppy cheese flavored). By the time she gets all the cheesy spray out, she's been sitting quietly and chewing for some time, and falls right asleep after!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon does the exact same thing, we call him Batdog during this time, he will literally go tearing all over the place until he wears himself out. One thing I've been doing lately since it had cooled off is I take him out in the yard and let him chase the laser pointer until he stops running, he loves chasing it. It's gotten to the point where he will go sit where the flashlight is hanging and stare at it hoping it is time to go play.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I call it the bewitching hour, something about the last play fling before bed time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It will go away in a few....... years!! We called it 'spaz attack' - once it was done, so were they === snoring

OP
Stoagie713

Stoagie713

Sep 12, 2012
Vacaville, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stoagie
Thanks to everyone for your input at least I know it's not just me not getting him out enough cause trust me I try to! [: I am learning to love it more and more and definitely want to get a laser pointer! They are so funny with those things.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We got it the "bully runs" ... ours will run loops around the house from one room to the other like they are crazy!!! :crazy:

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Yep - that's witching hour.....

everyone already covered it but our best nights with Bacon are when we've already run him ragged by 8 or 9pm... then he's content to curl up at our feet and chew on an antler until its time for bed :mansfriend:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Bacon does the exact same thing, we call him Batdog during this time, he will literally go tearing all over the place until he wears himself out. One thing I've been doing lately since it had cooled off is I take him out in the yard and let him chase the laser pointer until he stops running, he loves chasing it. It's gotten to the point where he will go sit where the flashlight is hanging and stare at it hoping it is time to go play.

Brilliant! I must buy one of these!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.