Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female humping?

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Default Female humping?

So we've noticed that Ellie has started to hump things here and there, mostly some of her larger toys. The reading that I've done is that, for females, this is often a display of dominance and much like biting, chewing, etc, a consistent correction and redirection to something else often helps. So far it has, but there have been a handful of incidents. Ellie is just under 5 month and is scheduled to be spayed in about a month and a half. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their female?
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kaida
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Female humping?

Kaida has done that with her huge teddy bear, but it's so infrequent that I often think I'm just imagining that she's humping it, when she's really standing in a bad spot, moving funny - but now that I saw this - it's gotta be humping.

She's tried to test her "dominance" with play biting, etc too - so it's likely that this was just another instance of her doing that. She's gotten tons better with listening, and when redirected - she'll stop with the biting.
    KaidasMom, aka Tina

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Lilly is almost 3 (spayed) and she humps Bruin ALL THE TIME. Ugh!!! We always tell her No or nudge her off of him and she comes back for more.

She's just the dominant one
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I haven't had girls but believe it is a dominance thing!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have a couple of girls that do it and usually it's when happy, excited or playing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sumo
    Likes (Received)

sumo used to do it a lot more and she has settled down a bit with it.

sometimes she still humps and sometimes she does it to my boyfriend!!! hahaha

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Lily does that sometimes but only to my hubby.
    I don't know if it's a dominance thing or a excited thing..maybe a bit of both.
    We just make to sure to stop her and tell her no when she does do it.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I think it can be a mixture of dominance and getting over-excited. I agree ... try to redirect and praise when the redirection works!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    HighPoint Brandi
    Likes (Received)

Brandi will do this on occasion. But never with toys. She is a Licker, & likes to spend her time licking my leg or foot, right before she falls asleep. There have been a few time she has started air humping while she was licking my leg, & this one time she tried to hump my nephew (LOL!!), who was wrestling with my daughter in the floor. But I think that one was just out of excitement. I'll say it's probably more of a Dominance thing.

Big Easy Brain Drain Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like we're all on the same page. Ellie has been good about stopping once she's told no and/or redirected to something else. I've only noticed it a couple of times, so thought I'd ask.
    Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. - Cecil Beaton

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bea has done this exactly twice; most recently, three days ago!!! It caught me so off guard that I started laughing before I caught myself and simply disagreed with the behavior. When she was a pup - maybe six months old - she did this when we were up on "the big bed". It's a HUGE privilege to be allowed up there and I suspect that she was just over-excited by the prospect. I didn't make a production out of it. I just disagreed (I have my own version of Cesar Millan's Tssst") and she stopped.

Now the most recent incident was actually kinda funny - but it was a result of the same thing; delirious happiness and excitement. We were strolling around the park up the street...not walking, so she was allowed to sniff anything and grab the occasional pine cone and run with it -- I was kicking them -- you know, playing around. Bea was particularly "hoppy" that afternoon. It's her way of being "over the top" happy to be doing whateveritis we're doing. She kind of gallops sideways.....anyway, we stopped and sat down in the shade, on a grassy hill. She was sitting behind me. The Jack Russell that lives in the house nearest the park was behind us all, going off, barking like a maniac - and they aren't allowed to react to that, so I think she kind of melted down and in order to deal with all of this, started to hump my back.

I was so shocked by this, I had to laugh - but quickly recovered and disagreed with the behavior. Bea cracks me up!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sylvia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tess & Rocky
    Likes (Received)

Tess just now started doing this a little more often. We just tell her no and she stops but its funny cause its just to my husband to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads