General Question Female humping?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So we've noticed that Ellie has started to hump things here and there, mostly some of her larger toys. The reading that I've done is that, for females, this is often a display of dominance and much like biting, chewing, etc, a consistent correction and redirection to something else often helps. So far it has, but there have been a handful of incidents. Ellie is just under 5 month and is scheduled to be spayed in about a month and a half. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their female?

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
Kaida has done that with her huge teddy bear, but it's so infrequent that I often think I'm just imagining that she's humping it, when she's really standing in a bad spot, moving funny - but now that I saw this - it's gotta be humping.

She's tried to test her "dominance" with play biting, etc too - so it's likely that this was just another instance of her doing that. She's gotten tons better with listening, and when redirected - she'll stop with the biting.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Lilly is almost 3 (spayed) and she humps Bruin ALL THE TIME. Ugh!!! We always tell her No or nudge her off of him and she comes back for more. :shout:

She's just the dominant one :ninjaspank:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have a couple of girls that do it and usually it's when happy, excited or playing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
sumo used to do it a lot more and she has settled down a bit with it.

sometimes she still humps and sometimes she does it to my boyfriend!!! hahaha

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think it can be a mixture of dominance and getting over-excited. I agree ... try to redirect and praise when the redirection works!!

SJC1973

Sep 16, 2012
South East Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
HighPoint Brandi
Brandi will do this on occasion. But never with toys. She is a Licker, & likes to spend her time licking my leg or foot, right before she falls asleep. There have been a few time she has started air humping while she was licking my leg, & this one time she tried to hump my nephew (LOL!!), who was wrestling with my daughter in the floor. But I think that one was just out of excitement. I'll say it's probably more of a Dominance thing.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Sounds like we're all on the same page. Ellie has been good about stopping once she's told no and/or redirected to something else. I've only noticed it a couple of times, so thought I'd ask.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea has done this exactly twice; most recently, three days ago!!! It caught me so off guard that I started laughing before I caught myself and simply disagreed with the behavior. When she was a pup - maybe six months old - she did this when we were up on "the big bed". It's a HUGE privilege to be allowed up there and I suspect that she was just over-excited by the prospect. I didn't make a production out of it. I just disagreed (I have my own version of Cesar Millan's Tssst") and she stopped.

Now the most recent incident was actually kinda funny - but it was a result of the same thing; delirious happiness and excitement. We were strolling around the park up the street...not walking, so she was allowed to sniff anything and grab the occasional pine cone and run with it -- I was kicking them -- you know, playing around. Bea was particularly "hoppy" that afternoon. It's her way of being "over the top" happy to be doing whateveritis we're doing. She kind of gallops sideways.....anyway, we stopped and sat down in the shade, on a grassy hill. She was sitting behind me. The Jack Russell that lives in the house nearest the park was behind us all, going off, barking like a maniac - and they aren't allowed to react to that, so I think she kind of melted down and in order to deal with all of this, started to hump my back.

I was so shocked by this, I had to laugh - but quickly recovered and disagreed with the behavior. Bea cracks me up!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Tess just now started doing this a little more often. We just tell her no and she stops but its funny cause its just to my husband to

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When we decided to get a bulldog I wanted a girl, because I didn't want a humper. And more male dogs hump than not in my narrow minded opinion. :ashamed:

Well guess what! HRH is a humper! Mostly to me but occasionally to Bruce, and always because she is very excited and happy when we are playing. It's brief because we tell her no and she stops. Until the next playtime. So anyway, we love our princess humper and all. :luv:

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: oh yes grace used to lick an hump my male that just passed all the time after she was done she would lick him from head to tail she really loved him now Franklin only humps her when she's laying on the floor he will go up to her an lift his leg for her to lick his.... I got some very sexual dogs but that can be expected their both not fixed

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
As [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said, I think is over excitement. Mocha has done this too, and I tell her no in a firm voice. She has never done that to me, but she does to Scott because He laughs and makes a big deal of it and Mocha thinks is a game.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.