URGENT!!! Yeoochhh those bully teeth!!!!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda has had issues with biting since I got her, now she is just over 3mo and it just seems to be getting worse, not better!

Today she bit me so hard on the shoulder that I didn't have to fake-yelp in pain - I shrieked and burst into tears!

It's now bruised and swollen, but my biggest concern is how to stop this behavior? When she bites we: use Bitter Apple spray, leave the room, yelp in pain, tell her NO, put her time out, swat at her behind, smack the ground in front of her, grab her by the ruff of her neck, flip her over onto her back, and now we're trying to shove our fingers into the back of her mouth (not enough to gag her), and while that works for her to release us, she just bites again two seconds later. We TRY to be consistent but nothing has had ANY affect on her.

One thing I DO NOT want to do is spraying her with water (which everyone keeps saying to do), because I spray her with water on walks to keep her cool (it's been 100+ degrees here lately!), and don't want her to be afraid of it.

Help!!!!! The worse teething is still yet to come and we're already at the end of our rope!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I feel your frustration. We tried all of those things as well with minimal success. The ONLY thing that has worked is the coins in a can trick. Anytime he does anything we disagree with we shake it and it might take a few shakes in succession but its just enough to break his focus and wonder what was that!? Make sure that you shake at the BEGINNING of whatever behavior you are disagreeing with. If you notice e is starting to get mouthy, stop it then, not when he continues and finally chomps down enough to make u yell. Don't let it escalate! This has just been my experience, there will be others along faaar more qualified than I. Good luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The coin an a can work pretty well, plus putting a chew toy in his mouth when ever he bites or wants to bite or chew on something. They will eventually grow out of it. Just hang in there and be patient.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It will get better, but you are right about the worse to come. She will start loosing those super sharp puppy teeth soon but that urge to chew and play is overwhelming to them. The coins in the can is a great suggestion and replace your hand, arm, etc. with a toy EVERY time she bites along with the command "no bite", and stop the playing if she insist on you rather than the toy. My 9 month old still wants to chew hands, since my older kids and their friends like to play with him that way, but when he tries for my hand, I tell him "no Bite" along with the command "get a toy". He will immediately stop what he is doing, happily run to his toy box and coming running back with whatever toy he wants to play with. They we have fun. Just be consistent! Our babies just want to play but they just get so excited! Hugs to you both! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Yea Bacon is 9 months old and is still mouthy, but now it's more playing then biting (most of the time) and when he does bite it's usually instigated by someone, as I look at the scab on my thumb :weird: When he was a puppy I would just shove a toy in his mouth when he got bitey and use it like a defensive tool. And he does only get bitey with me not Jen or anyone else, and it's almost always when we are playing. There have been a few sneak attacks directed at my feet, but I just attribute it to him still being a puppy and me playing "rough" with him, where as when he plays with Mom its all kisses.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given great advice ... the only thing I can add is that I am guessing that when you spray water on walks it's like a fine spray to cool down. When used as a warning the spray wants to be a strong "jet" of water that would "shock" them. But I do understand that you would be using the same spray bottle and wouldn't want the association of the water bottle to start to mean something bad.

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
One thing I have done is when they start to bite I take ahold of there mouth.... Usually lower jaw and just hold it. They think it's a game for a second, then try to pull away. I hang on for a few seconds longer and release them. They usually look at me with big eyes because they weren't expecting that. I tell them no bite as I release them. I then pet them and reassure them. Most will try 1 or 2 more times but stop after that. I also praise liberally when they don't mouth or bite in a circumstance they would have normally. Taking ahold of them would be a similar move another dog would do, as biting is something a puppy does as they don't know boundaries with there people.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Thanks everyone... The last few days I've deflected the bully bites with stuffed kongs. She'll probably become overweight, but my hands and feet are safe :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.