Help Needed! Potty Training Problem ... CARPET

Bridget

Jul 28, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridget
So Bridget is only 18 weeks old and really is doing a superb job with her potty training ... BUT ... she has it in for my throw rugs and carpet!

When she first came home to us, I worried about her falling down stairs, so we've kept her confined to our main level in our non-carpeted kitchen and family room area and away from the stairs and any fall hazards. However, if the gate gets left open (and with three boys 9 and under it happens,) she goes right into my dining room and does her business on my pretty throw rug and/or carpet. I've already disposed of the throw rugs that were at my back door and in my kitchen because she really enjoyed peeing on those. But she's getting pretty good with maneuvering stairs and I don't like confining her to one area of the house, but I'm tired of cleaning carpet! The rest of the house is pretty much all carpet! How do I convince her not to pee or poop on the carpet!

Anybody have any advise for dealing with this? Thank you! -Bridget's mom

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bridget is only 18 weeks old. How will she KNOW this if her human doesn't teach her? It's not Bridget's fault, first of all, and it's going to take patience, time (read: a schedule that you stick to no matter what) and some serious attention to detail (watching her during her every waking moment --- I'm not kidding) and she'll catch on because she's being shown what's expected of her.

Scolding her after that fact will only make it worse. She'll only become more crafty about doing it because she doesn't want to NOT please you. A couple of weeks being "On it" and you'll never have to deal with this again. Promise!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bridget is only 18 weeks old. How will she KNOW this if her human doesn't teach her? It's not Bridget's fault, first of all, and it's going to take patience, time (read: a schedule that you stick to no matter what) and some serious attention to detail (watching her during her every waking moment --- I'm not kidding) and she'll catch on because she's being shown what's expected of her.

Scolding her after that fact will only make it worse. She'll only become more crafty about doing it because she doesn't want to NOT please you. A couple of weeks being "On it" and you'll never have to deal with this again. Promise!

:goodpost:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Molly used to do this when she was young. Funny thing is, the pee spots were tiny so I knew she did not need to go. I soon realized she was marking them, as she liked to lay on them too. Vic gave great advice above. The only thing I can add is to show utter disgust at the mess itself-- not toward her. Pretend to cry and yelp when you find it. Don't show anger, just udder and complete sadness and disgust.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.