URGENT!!! HELP ME PLEASE! I need help potty training my bully

2minjin

Sep 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
Hello.
I'm a first time bulldog parent. I've had dogs all my life from poodles, schnauzers, maltese, beagle, pomeranian...etc, but never a bulldog.
I've really never experienced any hardships with potty training before, so it's really confusing and frustrating.
Everything is a routine for me. I walk, feed, walk, walk, walk, walk...
I kennel train all my dogs and at the beginning, I give them just enough room and then I gradually increase their kennel space.
I am doing the same thing with Milo (bulldog) and there are mornings when I wake up, and Milo (bulldog) is accident free.
However, most mornings... I wake up to piss. He pees in the cage and lies on it. It drives me crazy.
I know he can hold, but I feel like he chooses not to. There was a period of time for like a week when I had to sleep with him on my bed.
He never had a single accident when he slept with me. He is now 8 months and still not potty trained.
For his #2, he has a very different style compared to my other dogs. Usually, my other dogs poos everything out once in the morning and once and night.
Milo, drops a #2 that's a size of my pinkie finger tip in the morning... then, maybe another one during the afternoon. And sometimes that's it for the day.
The next morning he might do the same thing and then in the afternoon, he poos a S**t load. He does this everyday. He poos pinkie size drop and then a lot. I can't figure he's #2 pattern.
Sometimes, he poos that S**t load of poo inside his cage. I'm really confused of his behavior.
If I let him out, he just pees and poos everywhere.
Please help me!!!
I need serious advice. I dont need advices like "walk him every 3 hours' or "don't give him water after 7pm" stuff.
What should I do?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well the :poo: doesn't seem right really. Bully's r sensitive to foods so maybe a change is in order there? What do you feed him now? As for the peeing, I can't help much since I haven't actually had a puppy bully. I know they r reward oriented so for mine to get them on track they got cookies for each potty, which in turn made the potty often and in the right place. When I say Cooke I mean baby carrot, frozen green beans etc.

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I noticed that Tonka would still pee in his kennel even if it meant laying in it too. I think bulldogs are a bit more of a difficult breed when it comes to potty training. I couldn't kennel train my Tonka because he freaked out when we would shut the kennel door (constant crying, shaking, threw up) but also because like I said, that whole "dogs don't like to soil where they sleep" thing did not apply to my boy haha. I also think bulldogs like to go potty on soft blankets/objects (Tonka Still does that too sometimes and he's 1).

Have you tried training with pee pads? We baby gated Tonka in our kitchen with his kennel in there but kept the door open and his pee pad right across from his kennel. He started going on that right away and then eventually we would move the pee pad closer to the door and as he was able to hold it longer he just stopped needing it as taking him out often seemed to be enough. Then if he really had to go and hadn't been out in a while he sits by the door and we know to take him out. I know yours might seem a bit old for the pee pad but it could be worth a try?? I hope you get it figured out! I'm sure others with more experience and good advice will be along soon!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He should be trained by now but some are more stubborn than others. He will eventually grow out of it, so just be patient. If you have bedding in there for him, take it out. I have a couple girls that will still pee on their bedding, so they no longer get any.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I concur with everyone else, Bacon is 9 months old and went through a regression period where he started doing the same thing. We removed his bed from his night crate and his day time setup and he stopped doing it. With regard to the :poo:patterns perhaps try changing his food, or maybe adding a little bit of pumpkin when you feed him to solidify his meals more?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was also going to suggest removing his bedding. Seems mean but might make a HUGE difference. I have also found that mine are really stuck on a schedule of going out at the SAME TIME every single day. Is he on that sort of schedule that you know that when it is 10pm, to take him out? Both of mine also went through a sort of regression just around a year old. It only lasted for a few months and then poof, done.

It did take longer to house train them than it would, say, a lab or something. BUT I was ok with it since I have a basset hound and they are the same or worse. lol

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
HI.... I am no expert but I will tell you the MADNESS that was the first 3 months of my life with 2 littermate puppies that came into my life at 8 weeks. I was hardcore with housetraining. I set the alarm for every 2.5 hours during the night. I would get up, and take them both outside (they were crated at night). Massive praise the second they went poop or pee, and back to bed. For 2. 5 hours. Out again. During the day, same thing. I made sure to take them out every 2. 5 hours. Then once they were bigger, I could increase it (followed age +1 hour, so at 3 months I expected them to hold it 4 hours. And yes I work full time - I was so sleep deprived I don't even remember life. My BF and I staggered our work shifts so that the dogs were not alone more than 3. 5 hours (crated). Crates were staged like you have - expandable for age. They did have a couple of accidents in their crates, which was entirely our fault for not making it home in time. When they did, I washed their bedding and used enzyme spray to get rid of the smell. Praise praise praise for outside bathroom going. As the months passed, my female had accidents in her crate at least once a week... but once they were 6-7 months, they could last through the night and accidents got less and less.
I have to say that this is the one factor I can guarantee they are good with, I never worry no matter where we go, about if they know to ask for the door. ( I worry more about rug chewing!!!).

If your baby is 8 months now, he can physically hold it. I think it is just the consistency and reward thing at this point? Make sure the crate isn't too big... etc.

Best of luck... he will get it!!! :)

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I was also going to suggest removing his bedding

If your baby is anything like my pup, you'll come home to a pee-soaked puppy... so be prepared if you try this! Cleaning bedding is much easier than having to wash EVERYTHING in the crate and the puppy (who doesn't seem to mind sitting in pee)!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
If your baby is anything like my pup, you'll come home to a pee-soaked puppy... so be prepared if you try this! Cleaning bedding is much easier than having to wash EVERYTHING in the crate and the puppy (who doesn't seem to mind sitting in pee)!

My Basset was like that. My bullies, however, wouldn't pee if there was no bedding. It was like they wanted something soft to pee on. Many on here have found that to be true for theirs as well.

OP

2minjin

Sep 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Milo
gated Tonka in our kitchen with his kennel in there but kept the door open and his pee pad right across from his kennel

I tried to put the kennel with the door open with a pee pad and at first Milo used it fine. Then, Milo started to pee on the pee pad and sleep on the pee pad. It drove me mad, so I stopped using the pee pad.

I'm honestly really frustrated. I do praise him a lot when he potties outside. I do give him a lot of treats when he potties outside. And I know he knows that if he potties outside, he gets treats because sometimes Milo would act like he's going but he doesn't go and still comes to me for treats. He is so stubborn.
And sometimes, Milo pees while walking towards the grass area. Like what is going on!!! It has been only 4 hours since he last went outside. I know he can hold it, but he decides to go while waiting for the elevator or on the sidewalk going towards the grass area. I know he can hold it until we get to the grass area because when there's a treat in front of his face, he never goes. He only concentrates on the treat. So now, I always shake the treat in front of his face while waiting for the elevator and walking towards the grass.

I really don't know what to do :(

Members online

No members online now.