URGENT!!! Aggression

SammyP

Aug 16, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Max
My husband was deployed last month, and since he left Gus has been getting aggressive towards me. Not sure why because I was the one he listened to while my husband was here. He'll sit and bark in my face and leap and nip at me. Heā€™s actually bitten me twice, not hard enough to bleed, but enough to where it hurt. If I tell him no, he gets even more aggressive barking more, growling, and nipping at me. I just tried cutting his nails and he had a really mean growl whenever Iā€™d touch him and he tried to bite me. I just donā€™t know what to do. Itā€™s scary and Iā€™m at the verge of tears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
"Itā€™s scary and Iā€™m at the verge of tears."

Gus is sensing your fear and nervousness and reacting to it..... back to basics with him and get him to understand you are his leader and reset you boundaries with him. With your husband leaving Gus' routine was impacted so it is best to redo your level set. Try the Nothing in life is Free training or attend a training class together.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Good luck and keep us posted

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I agree, your dog is confused because his "pack"/family has changed. When this happens in wild animals (like wolves) a new pack order is established. Basically, he's testing you. You need to show him you're still in charge.

Make him do something before you feed him (sit, down, etc)...it shows him you decide if he's done enough to get food.
Also lots of praise and cuddles for good behavior

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Just right advice above. PLEASE keep us posted on how you two progress. Also, hope the deployment passes quickly! Been there and I know it sucks (I am a Navy wife).

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy I agree, he is trying to move up in the pack and yes he knows you r afraid. Hand feed him and take your time. One small handful at a time and before each is given practice his tricks. Sit, stay, lay etc. then make him wait even after he does his trick in a sit/stay till YOU r ready to feed the handful. Do this each time with every handful til he is done. Once he gets further along in behavior you can slowly cut it back to bowl feeding by hand feeding a couple times before allowing him to eat from the bowl. Even then, make him "take a break" as my pups know it. Let him eat for a few seconds, then take a break, meaning he backs away and again with the sit/stay. Basically you want to mess with him as far as proving who is in charge of food, the number 1 thing he needs. Good luck to you. Take back that strength. Maybe redirect him, instead of using no, tell him what you do want. Cutty is grumbly, has been for years. With him I can't so much tell him to get off the bed as much as have him come to me on the floor. The 2 equal the same but his reaction is entirely different in my approach. I can always get him to come to me so I use that instead. With Miila, she had bit me, drew blood etc. I wasn't afraid at all cuz I saw what she could do. She knew I wasnt afraid so with her I have much more control in these methods. Don't be shy, if you have any questions please ask. There are so many here who know much more than me, who have helped me greatly. Let us know how all this advice helps too.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=5725]SammyP[/MENTION]...May I tell you how very much I appreciate your husband's service to our great America
and also offer my appreciation and great respect for your service to America as well, by being a military
wife...they don't accomplish all this by themselves! My sincerest 'Thank You's' to both of you!

I understand how disturbing and sad Gus's behavoir makes you feel as well as being afraid of him and at
a time when you need his love and loyalty...that's not right! Take a deep breath, calm down, realize Gus
is lost and confused but all will be right again and Gus will learn your rules again and be the wonderful bully
he deserves to be and is but just needing to be shown the way by these knowledgeable, professional EBN'ers.

They will not fail you!

BTW...WELCOME to y'all and Gus too...I'm a newbie as of July 12th, 2012...we're a family here and now, y'all
are a part of this family. Please let us know how things progress as these 'oldtimers' give you proven advice.

Hang in there, Honey and I'll pray for safe return of your beloved and loving, restored relationship between you
& Gus...very handsome too! Carol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]...Hello! Give your Navy husband a kiss, hug and a heartfelt "Thank You' for his
country's service...and to you too, dedicated, loyal & loving Navy wife...the power and force
BEHIND the big man!

I'm a military brat of a career Army veteran, Dad died in 2000...people forget the dedication,
sacrifice and hardship military wives and children go thru as well as do their servicemen & women.

Thank you to you and your family...proud of y'all! Carol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great advice here. NILF is right where I'd go for a behavioral issue as you've described.

Also important to rule out anything medical. If a dog is reacting so strongly to touch, be sure the dog isn't in pain in some way. In that case, his lashing out isn't his fault; it's instinctual.

OP
SammyP

SammyP

Aug 16, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Max
Thank you everyone! Well last night we started working on if he wanted to play he has to sit and give me the toy before Iā€™d throw it for him, worked well when there were treats involved. I know that I need to start working on controlling my emotions around him and staying calm. I can tell when I start to get frustrated he acts out more. I already have him sit and wait until I say ā€œokā€ to eat, but this morning I tried what cali~jenn suggested and fed him little handfuls at a time having him sit and wait in between handfuls and he did great! He didnā€™t try to get into the bowl or eat the handful without me saying it was ok. But now that Iā€™m sitting here trying to type this he wonā€™t sit and stay. I had him sit lay down gave a treat then told him to stay but once I sit down he gets up and tries to come over to me. So I get up have him sit again lay down stayā€¦. It continued for quite a while then I finally put up the gate. And now heā€™s napping. So Iā€™m just going to keep working on retraining him as youā€™ve all suggested.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone! Well last night we started working on if he wanted to play he has to sit and give me the toy before Iā€™d throw it for him, worked well when there were treats involved. I know that I need to start working on controlling my emotions around him and staying calm. I can tell when I start to get frustrated he acts out more. I already have him sit and wait until I say ā€œokā€ to eat, but this morning I tried what cali~jenn suggested and fed him little handfuls at a time having him sit and wait in between handfuls and he did great! He didnā€™t try to get into the bowl or eat the handful without me saying it was ok. But now that Iā€™m sitting here trying to type this he wonā€™t sit and stay. I had him sit lay down gave a treat then told him to stay but once I sit down he gets up and tries to come over to me. So I get up have him sit again lay down stayā€¦. It continued for quite a while then I finally put up the gate. And now heā€™s napping. So Iā€™m just going to keep working on retraining him as youā€™ve all suggested.

Great job.... Stay with it

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online