Help Needed! Traing with a collar or a harness?

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. I am a new bd owner and I wa told here and by the breeder where I got my dog that to always use a harness. I take my puppy out probably 8 times a day and I am very discouraged, He does not want to walk with me at times. IF he see's another dog or person it will exicte him so much he either pulls or he doesn't want to leave when its time to leave. I have tried bringing treats with me.. Getting him to focus on ME and I say Buddy LOOK and it will get his attention for a bit but he will soon be lost in the wonder of a leaf or rock. branch or whatever else is on the ground and in his world. I have been using a harness at the recommendation of you people here and the breeder but I am getting exhausted. I was thinking about taking some class's with him at one of the local pet stores but I would hate to waste my money on some class's if the trainer could have completed some certification in training, in 2 months and really wasnt qualified to train if you know what I mean or tell me I need to continued to more levels. I have been reserching training puppys on a leash and although most articals say to use a regular collar and keep it high up next to his ears I am very reluctant to do this. I do not want to injure him in any way. I have read of clickers and even tried just droping his leash and say BYE Buddy and walk away.. Well when I do this he WILL follow me if we are alone but if there is another puppy or person he will stay with them . Agravating. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated !!!!

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Don't get aggravated, enjoy your puppy. Your puppy is very social, he likes people and dogs and that is a great thing! You can't use a harness yet. You have to use a buckle collar or a slip collar. Look at the Mendota british style slip collars. They are braided collars and will not harm him. Get a short one, 4'. As you walk him, when he pulls, stop so he can't go any further, until you are ready. Your dog will get strong, very fast, so you need to be persistent and patient and just as strong. This is why you can't use a harness just yet, it will just give him more leverage to pull. My pup is 6 months and I still havent gotten him a harness, but he knows how to walk on his leash with collar and when he's does pull with the collar (like when he sees a dog or person he wants to play with) its very difficult keeping him from going where he wants to go.

Check in your area for a dog training school (not Petsmart - nothing against them, but like you said someone with many years of experience, it makes a difference). He'll be just as distracted in puppy school too, but work with him at home as much as possible.

But I think for now you just have to keep at it. He is a puppy and he's just being a puppy and you can't keep his attention for long regardless what you do.

Also, with a bulldog you have to be just as persistent as he is. If you tell him to sit and he doesn't, you keep at it until he does it - dont stop. If you sit him down and he stands up, even if you have to do it 100 times, make him sit like you told him to.

Get better treats - irresistible treats! What type are you giving him outside? Have you tried string cheese? Herman was not following instructions in puppy class and the instructor pulled out stringed cheese - Herman sat at attention, focused right on me. I never knew he loved cheese so much! Or try hot dogs, use it while teaching him to come. When you call his name and he comes, give him the treat - every time.

How old is he now? What tricks are you teaching him at home?

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Elearn. I bring string cheese everytime we go outdoors. He loves it. I will look for the mendota collars. I used to use a retractable leash but my neighbor told me not to so I went and bought a 6 foot kong leash. He will be 5 months old on the 22nd of this month. I love him to death but I swear in walking outside he is getting worst. I got to the point where I would just drop his leash and say BYE BUDDY and walk away and as long as there are no distractions he would follow but if there is another dog outside or person he will be too distracted to want to come with me. Agravating. I guess I will just have to look for doggie class's for him. Thanks again. Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Ok, the 6 foot might be a little too long, so try a 4' one, it does make a different as it will keep him closer to your side. And definitely dont use the retractable ones. Just keep trying, don't give up. I'm going through the same with my being Herman's favorite chew toy at the moment and it's very challenging, but he's getting better.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Buddy at times does the same thing. He will have part of the leash in his mouth as if to say SEE I am leading YOU as we walk. Hero

Members online

No members online now.