How do discipline or train your puppy not to pee indoors

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Palm Beach County Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello everyone. My puppy is a bit over 4 months now. He knows or holds it when it comes to going number 2 indoors but when it comes to peeing, he just doesn't get it. I know he is young. Possibly small bladder and maybe cannot quite hold it yet but I know he doesn't go in his crate. He sleeps in a crate at night. I take him outside 8 times daily and then when we come in he gulps down a bunch of water. About a half an hour to an hour after that I can see sometimes that he will loose intrest in whatever he is doing ( chewing on a toy) and I can rush him outside. I praise him when he goes outdoors. I even started bringing him broken peices of cheese and giving it to him when praising him after going outdoors. When I do catch him peeing on the carpet/ tile I tell him BAD in a loud voice. BAD DOG. He knows something is wrong. I really let him know. I try not to pay attention to him for 20 mins depending what is happening. I would like to know anyones experience in training . I do not like to keep him in his crate in the daytime unless I am doing something where I cannot observe him or when he naps, I put him in. My older brother tells me puppys have lots of acciedents and 6 months is usually when they become house trained. Any advice. shared experience will be appreicated. Thanks Hero

elearn

Bully lovin' gypsy
Community Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Herman
Yep, your brother is right. He's only 4 months, just keep telling him NO when he has an accident. Everything just 'clicked' one day with my dog when he was about 5 months. He's just turned 6 months now and there have been no accidents in many weeks. Also, the last few incidents were not accidents, he was deliberately peeing - like marking his territory. I told him that was a no-no and he stopped doing it. So you just have to figure out what's an accident and what is marking.

I also think that my dog enjoys his independence and trust that I give him. If I tell him "let's go outside" or "let's go pee pee" and he resists or just doesnt get up to go, then I just leave him alone and trust his decision. If I tell him "let's go pee pee" and he comes willingly, then I know he really needs to go and I take him. If he starts attacking me relentlessly and not backing off, he's training me to know that he REALLY needs to go NOW LOL (he is still training me on this).

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I took franklin out every hour when we first got him he still has a accident now an then he is only 19 weeks but he doesn't poo: in the house so at least thats a plus an my other dog is helping him learn not to go in the house I find its so much easier when you have another dog to help grace trained my mother in laws dog Houdini when she first got her she was at this house with 22 other dogs an they didn't take care of them so she was house trained when she got her. Good luck

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Stay consistent and have lots of patience. They all 'get it' at different paces. Wilson caught on early - he was 4 months and could hold it over 10 hours. Emma, well she took a lot longer! She finally got it at around 6.5 months. She'll still have an occasional mishap.

Do not scold your guy as all that will teach him is to hide it from you. Good luck! It's not easy at times lol.

Ps..I'm going to move this to the training/behavioral section. :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola will be 12 weeks on monday and she has just learned to sleep through the night from 10pm to 6am without waking up or having accidents. She also holds it well during the day but she still has accidents if I dont watch. She is getting better with age but I think every dog gets it at different stages and I think some of it is personality. I hope he gets better soon!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's an article that I found to be helpful to me. I hope it helps you! The best advice I can give anyone house training a puppy is this: set them up for success. The fewer accidents you have, the more quickly your dog will be house trained and all that takes is vigilance and consistency from the human! Tie the dog to your leg with a leash if you must. If your dog isn't getting it -- it's not his fault; it's yours. (And I mean that in the most loving way possible!)

Housebreaking Your Puppy: Do's and Don'ts

By Cesar Millan

The process of housebreaking often brings on feelings of nervousness and worry, but the process does not have to be stressful—for you or the puppy.

The truth is this is a situation in which you have Mother Nature working with you right from the start while puppy training. When the puppies are first born, they eat and they relieve themselves inside the den, but the mother always cleans them. There is never a scent of urine or feces where the puppies eat, sleep, and live. When they get old enough, they learn to use outside areas as they imitate their mother.

In this way, all dogs become conditioned never to eliminate in their dens. From two to four months of age, most pups pick up on the concept of housebreaking and crate training quite easily since it is part of their natural programming.

Another built-in plus when it comes to housebreaking is our puppy’s digestive tract, which is extremely quick and efficient. Five to 30 minutes after the puppy eats, she’ll want to defecate. So with a consistent eating schedule, and your attention to the clock, your puppy can maintain regular trips outside.

In the early days of housebreaking, you also want to make sure the puppy has a place to relieve herself where she feels safe; a place that seems and smells familiar. Have you noticed how dogs will often eliminate in the very same spot they’ve done so before? The scent acts like a trigger.

As always, remember that your own energy is a big factor in your housebreaking efforts. If you are feeling nervous or impatient or are trying to rush a puppy to relieve herself, that can also stress her out. Using a loud, high squeaky tone to encourage your puppy to “go potty” is a distraction to the dog, so try and avoid any conversation at all.

First thing every morning, bring your puppy outside to the same general area. It is important to remain consistent throughout the process so your puppy can learn the habit.

Once your puppy has successfully gone outside, it is important to reward the good behavior. It doesn’t have to be a big, loud celebration, but a simple quiet approval or a treat can get the message across of a job well done.

Don’t punish your puppy for an accident or do anything to create a negative association with her bodily functions. Stay calm and assertive and quietly remove the puppy to the place where you want him to go.

Done correctly, housebreaking should not be a turbulent production but just a matter of putting a little extra work into getting your puppy on a schedule during the first weeks after she arrives at your home. Don’t let unnecessary stress over this very natural, uncomplicated process taint any of the joy surrounding the puppy training process and your new dog’s puppyhood.

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Well. I am having a hard time. at times. lol with Buddy. When we go outdoors . sometimes he moves soooo slow. Sometimes he will just sit his butt down and I tug on the leash ( retractable but with a stop button) and have to actually go to him and lift his body up which I use a harness instead of collar to get his butt moving. If he see's another dog or person outside where I live ( condo ) he will run up to whoever and either play with the other dog or puppy or if its a person ( who pats him) he will not want to leave with me until that person or dog is out of sight.. He will just watch them as I am sayiing COME ON BUDDY . It is embarrasing. I do not know if he is stubborn. testing me to see how far I will go, or just distracted. I love him to death but it is agravating. I have been told by the majority of everyone here NOT to use a choker , only harness. a few. not many said choker and I even wrote the breeder where I got him and she said she would NEVER put a choker on an ebd.. I am about to call Petsmart or some place and take a few class's. I am now bringing little pieces of cheese with me to get his butt to move with me. As it is- I live in south florida and it gets VERY hot here so I cannot keep him outside in this. I know he could overheat and die so I like to keep it 15 or 20 mins outdoors and I take him out now practially every hour. NEED HELP with this.. Thanks Hero

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Some dogs are natural walkers -- and some aren't. Bea isn't. Bo is.

When Bea was a puppy, she was awful on a leash. She'll be three in March and while she's better, she's NOT ANYTHING like Bo is with regard to walking. In our puppy classes, everyone used to laugh at us. We WERE funny. Everyone else's dogs are walking around the giant room in a "heel" position and here's Bea, plodding along, sniffing the ground periodically, in a "heel three people back" position. I had to work really hard to find what would motivate her to MOVE. It wasn't easy and she's still not a go-getter. The only thing that gets her going now -- and it's short-lived, believe me -- is a new place to walk. Otherwise, she just plods along. This frustrates Bo who wants to go go go. Because I want to walk them together, Bea has learned to step it up --- a bit -- and Bo has learned some (not a lot mind you, he turns two in Feb.) patience when we all walk as a pack.

There were two things that motivated Bea when she was a pup, learning how to walk on a leash. 1) her prey drive. Dangling the other end of her leash in front of her like a donkey/carrot situation worked for a time and secondly, VERY HIGH VALUE treats. Both of those things worked for a time -- but not a long time. She loves to go for walks --- but not to walk. Meander or Stroll might describe her walking style. Another thing - and this is an entirely different topic - if she wants to go one way and I want her to go the other, she doesn't give up easily at all. I have to wait it out -- and DO -- to get her going in the direction I want. Sometimes, it's easier to just give in. Even if she's walking a way I don't want to go, at least she's moving FORWARD! hahahahahaha

Try some different things with Buddy to "inspire" his desire to walk with you. You'll find that those same things will motivate a dog who wants to pull on the leash and go go go to stay in a heel-like position. (Bo's problem)

The good news for me is that I have the best of both worlds. I have a dog who wants to GO when I want to talk a brisk walk. And I have a dog who is a JEWEL at art fairs and farmer's markets because she likes to plod along; the perfect shopping dog! Bo is not stable enough in those public situations to enjoy the journey. He goes when we're just focusing on HIM -- because it takes just focusing on him to get thru it. hahahahahahaha

He will learn. Just like Buddy will. Leadership and Patience is key to your success. A puppy class is a GREAT idea. Me and Bea attended three of them!

OP
H

Hero4u2b

Aug 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks Vicaroo. I went to petsmart today and asked about class's but the trainer wasn't there and she is to call me in the morning. Yep Buddy is just like Bea. Every branch. rock. pebble. he stops and sniffs and most of the time I have to take it out of his mouth. When he see's another dog orerson he will MOVE then. its just when we are alone outside and he doesn't want to move sometimes and when he does. it is slow - I have to be very patient with him. I switched leash's. I had one of those retractable leash's with a stop button on it but one of my neighbors said a good old fashion 6 footer is better in training and to keep him CLOSE to me, I guess it lets him know who is in control. He still walks slow thou and at times. his butt will just sit down in the grass and I have to lift his whole body up and in a forward motion with this new kong leash just to get him up. I tell you it is embarrasing. I live in a 5 story condo and walk him around the building where neighbors can see and watch and I feel like people are laughing. I knew ebd's can be stubborn but I do know if thats it or if he is getting the wrong message from me. Its funny how you said you coaxed Bea with the other end of the leash.. I am doing the same thing. He wants to bite the end with the loop. Anyways I just wrote this before but half the time when I go to post quick reply. It doesnt work and I have to write everything over again. Now I cam coping the letter in case it does it again. LOL Thanks Vicaroo.. I appreciate the feedback. Hero

Attachments

• 8-25-2012 007.jpg
    8-25-2012 007.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 122

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Hero, I understand EXACTLY what you are going through! It's funny now as I read your post--especially your last comment about walking him and believing your neighbors are laughing at you from their windows! I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY. Duke loves to go outside and just stand there (or as you said plop his rear down for a good ole sit and watch)--gazing off a leaf being driven by the wind, a neighbor going to their car or someone checking their mail. We live in the center of a cul-de-sac, and I KNOW everyone can see me pleading with Duke to "Come on!" He just stands there with his legs like kickstandsa--refusing to budget. When I'm patient, I just stand there too and act like all this is normal, but a lot of times I have to scoop him up--heavy as he is growing--and carry him inside with him tugging at the tangled up leash and wiggling in my arms to get free. What is most embarrassing of all though is when I do walk him--slow and distracted by every little thing as he is--outside our little cul-de-sac and he decides to simply sit down and THEN LIE DOWN in someone's yard. It is hard "scooping" him up from this position and often times he will roll over like this is some fabulous game! Truly embarrassing!

As for the housebreaking, it is just as others have indicated here. Duke is training me on when he needs to go and I'm getting better about being obedient.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.