Thread: How do discipline or train your puppy not to pee indoors

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How do discipline or train your puppy not to pee indoors

Some dogs are natural walkers -- and some aren't. Bea isn't. Bo is.

When Bea was a puppy, she was awful on a leash. She'll be three in March and while she's better, she's NOT ANYTHING like Bo is with regard to walking. In our puppy classes, everyone used to laugh at us. We WERE funny. Everyone else's dogs are walking around the giant room in a "heel" position and here's Bea, plodding along, sniffing the ground periodically, in a "heel three people back" position. I had to work really hard to find what would motivate her to MOVE. It wasn't easy and she's still not a go-getter. The only thing that gets her going now -- and it's short-lived, believe me -- is a new place to walk. Otherwise, she just plods along. This frustrates Bo who wants to go go go. Because I want to walk them together, Bea has learned to step it up --- a bit -- and Bo has learned some (not a lot mind you, he turns two in Feb.) patience when we all walk as a pack.

There were two things that motivated Bea when she was a pup, learning how to walk on a leash. 1) her prey drive. Dangling the other end of her leash in front of her like a donkey/carrot situation worked for a time and secondly, VERY HIGH VALUE treats. Both of those things worked for a time -- but not a long time. She loves to go for walks --- but not to walk. Meander or Stroll might describe her walking style. Another thing - and this is an entirely different topic - if she wants to go one way and I want her to go the other, she doesn't give up easily at all. I have to wait it out -- and DO -- to get her going in the direction I want. Sometimes, it's easier to just give in. Even if she's walking a way I don't want to go, at least she's moving FORWARD! hahahahahaha

Try some different things with Buddy to "inspire" his desire to walk with you. You'll find that those same things will motivate a dog who wants to pull on the leash and go go go to stay in a heel-like position. (Bo's problem)

The good news for me is that I have the best of both worlds. I have a dog who wants to GO when I want to talk a brisk walk. And I have a dog who is a JEWEL at art fairs and farmer's markets because she likes to plod along; the perfect shopping dog! Bo is not stable enough in those public situations to enjoy the journey. He goes when we're just focusing on HIM -- because it takes just focusing on him to get thru it. hahahahahahaha

He will learn. Just like Buddy will. Leadership and Patience is key to your success. A puppy class is a GREAT idea. Me and Bea attended three of them!

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Vicaroo. I went to petsmart today and asked about class's but the trainer wasn't there and she is to call me in the morning. Yep Buddy is just like Bea. Every branch. rock. pebble. he stops and sniffs and most of the time I have to take it out of his mouth. When he see's another dog orerson he will MOVE then. its just when we are alone outside and he doesn't want to move sometimes and when he does. it is slow - I have to be very patient with him. I switched leash's. I had one of those retractable leash's with a stop button on it but one of my neighbors said a good old fashion 6 footer is better in training and to keep him CLOSE to me, I guess it lets him know who is in control. He still walks slow thou and at times. his butt will just sit down in the grass and I have to lift his whole body up and in a forward motion with this new kong leash just to get him up. I tell you it is embarrasing. I live in a 5 story condo and walk him around the building where neighbors can see and watch and I feel like people are laughing. I knew ebd's can be stubborn but I do know if thats it or if he is getting the wrong message from me. Its funny how you said you coaxed Bea with the other end of the leash.. I am doing the same thing. He wants to bite the end with the loop. Anyways I just wrote this before but half the time when I go to post quick reply. It doesnt work and I have to write everything over again. Now I cam coping the letter in case it does it again. LOL Thanks Vicaroo.. I appreciate the feedback. Hero
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -8-25-2012-007-jpg  

Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke Big Boss Cowboy
    Likes (Received)

Hero, I understand EXACTLY what you are going through! It's funny now as I read your post--especially your last comment about walking him and believing your neighbors are laughing at you from their windows! I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY. Duke loves to go outside and just stand there (or as you said plop his rear down for a good ole sit and watch)--gazing off a leaf being driven by the wind, a neighbor going to their car or someone checking their mail. We live in the center of a cul-de-sac, and I KNOW everyone can see me pleading with Duke to "Come on!" He just stands there with his legs like kickstandsa--refusing to budget. When I'm patient, I just stand there too and act like all this is normal, but a lot of times I have to scoop him up--heavy as he is growing--and carry him inside with him tugging at the tangled up leash and wiggling in my arms to get free. What is most embarrassing of all though is when I do walk him--slow and distracted by every little thing as he is--outside our little cul-de-sac and he decides to simply sit down and THEN LIE DOWN in someone's yard. It is hard "scooping" him up from this position and often times he will roll over like this is some fabulous game! Truly embarrassing!

As for the housebreaking, it is just as others have indicated here. Duke is training me on when he needs to go and I'm getting better about being obedient.

Bulldog(s) Names
    philly
    Likes (Received)

Hi hero, a quick suggestion try petco if you have it in your area. I notice that petsmart tends to get 3 to 5 dogs per session. In petco I think it's a max of 3. With Philly's class there is only 2 of them, less distraction.
    He is doin great on his first class, I don't have any problems with him on walking, my problem is stopping him, he seems to enjoy it too much that he wants to walk all the time! Even if I know he is dead tired I need to pull him home. I live in s. Florida too so you know how hot it is in the morning. When we get in the house he drinks his water and go straight and sits at the door and look at his leashed! As if he was saying I'm good let's go again! Lol

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for everyones input and suggestions. Buddy is getting a bit better. The trick seems to be getting his attention and motivating him to walk with me.. If I act like we are playing and say COME ON BUDDY and start to run.. he will run right beside me. It is as if it is a game.. He loves being outdoors all the sights and smells. I do have to constantly watch what he is putting in his mouth. One of my biggest fears. I take bark. pieces of multch ect from him on a regular basis. One of the things I notice is if I can keep his head up and looking forword instead of down on the ground as we walk he is less apt to pick things up and will walk with me. At times when no one is around ( other distractions) I will just drop the leash and walk away and he will soon be catching up to me. As a matter of fact I swear if I didn't use a leash he would walk better but that isn't always the situation so I have to use the leash.. I am waiting on something from Amazon or one of those companys called the Mendota ez trainer harness. It tightens around his stomach instead of just pulling him in a harness.. Anyways Thanks everyone again.. Hero

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the update on Buddy, @Hero4u2b. Another fun game you can teach him --- that's as valuable as gold, I think --- is a reliable "come". When I say "Come come come" -- three times fast, they DO - almost regardless of the distraction. Yes - ALMOST. hahahahahahaha This has come in handy many times and when you start out with a puppy - it's a fun game that can save their life. Some great tips on this can be found here: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP..._ComeCall.html

Bully Bootie Duty
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thats a great artical.. This new browser thou. Mozilla.. How to I click on a page and put it on my desktop?????

Bulldog(s) Names
    Charlie
    Likes (Received)

Hey Hero,
    I know this post was two months old but I wanted to see if you took him to dog/puppy classes. If you didnt I would take your dog to a actual certified dog trainer. I found one on this website. http://www.apdt.com/ The ones in Petco or Petsmart do sometimes do the trick but I have heard some good and bad things about those places. In my area it was actually cheaper for me to go to a certified trainer then it was to take our puppy to petsmart, just food for thought.

Also my dog is a good walker but her nose is always on the ground sniffing to find whatever new piece of dirt, rock, branch to put in her mouth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads