Help Needed! Need a little help

btow19

Jul 22, 2011
Fruita Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrecker
So my bully Wrecker, is starting to get a little aggressive with my other dogs. It started off as playing now it has turned into bitting the Labs legs and bitting harder and harder. A few weeks ago my wife went to pull him off the labs and he snapped at her, then yesterday he snapped at my daughter. I dont know if he ment to snap at them or thinking it was one of the dogs. He is a very loving boy but has a mean streak in him but only when im not around (dad) when im there he or the other dogs don't act a fool. He has never been beaten or abused, he listens very and take comands great from me. Any feed back would be great. Thanks Brandon

L

Lucy-licious

So my bully Wrecker, is starting to get a little aggressive with my other dogs. It started off as playing now it has turned into bitting the Labs legs and bitting harder and harder. A few weeks ago my wife went to pull him off the labs and he snapped at her, then yesterday he snapped at my daughter. I dont know if he ment to snap at them or thinking it was one of the dogs. He is a very loving boy but has a mean streak in him but only when im not around (dad) when im there he or the other dogs don't act a fool. He has never been beaten or abused, he listens very and take comands great from me. Any feed back would be great. Thanks Brandon

Just moved this into the behaviour section to optimise the views and answers for you x

I'll tag a couple of members that might have some advise too...[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm assuming he is still a pup and pups do play hard, but when they get to rough it's time to stop the play. The biting is part of being a pup and will stop as he gets older as long as he is not encouraged to do so. Have your wife and kids take part in feeding him and go on little walks with him as long as it's not too hot out. Limit his play time so he will not get too rough. He will soon learn.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: I agree with Davidh Franklin is the same way with my female he will bite he so hard on the legs when she's walking by an when there playing but she gives it back to him he's only 19 weeks but when it does get to rough we do stop them he's never snapped at my husband or I though I would definitely not tolerate that because if he thinks he can get away with it he will get worse. Good luck I hope you can get it figured out.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You don't say how old Wrecker is but the snapping at humans -- any humans --- shouldn't never tolerated -- especially when the human is correcting over-excitement. Wrecker needs a leadership lesson and Davidh is right on the mark.
1) Immediately begin pack leader type exercises with Wrecker with ALL the humans in his life --- especially the kids. He has to learn his place in the pack and the humans must reassert their roles as leader. Any number of Cesar Millan books --- and practice, practice, practice --- can get you there. Remember that a tired pup is a good pup. Reliable, regular Exercise for ALL! (No, running around the yard is not exercise)
2) All the human pack leaders should understand how to Control play. The dogs are learning to be a pack. Your job is to look for behaviors that signal Wrecker's step over the line into over excitement and onto these unacceptable behaviors BEFORE it happens. A simple correction will do. (I use Cesar's "Pssttt" at my house - find what works for you!) Yelling / shaming / berating / hitting the dog after it's occurred won't help and will in fact create more problems than it solves.
3) A pack Leader is Fair - dogs sense fairness. Treat all the dogs the same - regardless. Don't accept behavior from the labs that you wouldn't accept from Wrecker.
Remember; you don't get the dog you want...you get the dog you need. :yes: Most of all, Have Fun! Having a pack of dogs is the coolest thing in the universe!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.