Help Needed! Aggression towards other dogs

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
I have a 2 year old Bulldog Jax. He is very loving and sweet at home but as soon as i take him outside and he sees another dog he goes crazy. I took him to the dog park before when he was around 1 year old and he had a great time and he got along with everyone. One day I took him to the same park and he met an American Bulldog and he got in a fight with him. I don't know what caused it but ever since then he always is agressive when he sees another dog. He always tries to lunge and growls. Its scary because i can't take him anywhere near around other dogs. I take him occasionally to Petsmart Doggy Day Camp to play and he does great there . I don't understand. He loves to play with other dogs but not when he is on a leash. Any suggestions? He is also Neutured but very dominant.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
"I take him occasionally to Petsmart Doggy Day Camp to play and he does great there . I don't understand. He loves to play with other dogs but not when he is on a leash."

Sounds like your energy is impacting his... if you are nervous while holding his leash he is going to react to that energy. remember you as the leader you need to remain calm

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
I know but its hard to stay calm when he is growling and lunging. I get scared when another dog is close because I don't know what he will do. Just the other day i went outside for a walk with him and another dog that was off leash came following us and Jax was so ready to fight he kept barking bloody murder like he was about to kill that dog and i keep walking away but that dog would not stop following. I guess when i am in that situation i get real nervous. i need to work on that too.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - Woman, you are GOOD.

She's right [MENTION=5833]babyjax[/MENTION] - your energy is affecting him. You need to calm down. Then, take him on a walk - yes, with the leash - with a variety of dogs you know and trust - go walking with friends! Walking WITH a new dog will bond the two walkers, for one thing, and he'll also get that valuable exercise he needs. (A good pup is a tired pup.) Most of all, it's best to avoid places where YOU are going to be a nervous nightmare because you are not helping Jax. You are in fact, making it worse. Watch what happens when YOU control the dog meeting (this means he is not in front of you) and you use positive, trusting energy with another dog on a leash. Magic!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=5833]babyjax[/MENTION] - how's Jax doing? Have you tried a controlled meeting with a balanced dog that you trust?

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
No, not yet. I don't really know anyone that i could do this with.

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
ok, here is an update on Jax. Today I took him to Doggy Day Camp and Jax got in rumble with another dog. One of the trainers there watched him and evaluated him for 30 mins and we are going to start 8 private training sessions. She told me that he is not aggressive in a mean way. He just wants to play and if another dog doesn't want to play with him he gets mad and he will get on top of the other dog and be dominant. He is also very jealous. When the trainer petted another dog he went full throttle across the room and got on top of that dog. The trainer told me that he knows his commands but when he wants his way he gets very stubborn and has a hard time listening to anyone. The leash aggression is in part because he wants to go and play with another dog so when I don't let him he gets mad or thinks that there is danger and hence the aggression. We will start our training sessions next week. Wish us luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ok, here is an update on Jax. Today I took him to Doggy Day Camp and Jax got in rumble with another dog. One of the trainers there watched him and evaluated him for 30 mins and we are going to start 8 private training sessions. She told me that he is not aggressive in a mean way. He just wants to play and if another dog doesn't want to play with him he gets mad and he will get on top of the other dog and be dominant. He is also very jealous. When the trainer petted another dog he went full throttle across the room and got on top of that dog. The trainer told me that he knows his commands but when he wants his way he gets very stubborn and has a hard time listening to anyone. The leash aggression is in part because he wants to go and play with another dog so when I don't let him he gets mad or thinks that there is danger and hence the aggression. We will start our training sessions next week. Wish us luck.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.