Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aggression HELP

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Aggression HELP

I would baby gate your bathroom door. That way she can't close the door and she can't get in there either. From your post ... the way I read it ... she's going in there all by herself and then if you try and get in she gets furious. So has she got a crate that she likes ... it sounds as if she has made the bathroom her safe haven or crate that she goes into.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

I think she needs a specific place within the house to call hers...like I said, a blanket, a bed, a "spot", a crate. She needs somewhere to be quiet time, alone, that no one else bothers her. If you have kids, tell them not to play/touch the dog when she's in her spot...she'll learn to go there when she doesn't want people to bother her.

As for food, I feed char 1/2 cup in the AM and 1/2 cup in the PM. She gets treats too, but she's approx 50 pounds and the vet said she could come down to 45 (shes a smaller frame)

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Taylor... She has the run of the house and the 2 of them can lay anywhere they please.. She sneaks in the bathroom if you are not watching and she jumps on the door to close it behind her..Once she closes the door she wont let you open it,she actually attacks you if you try.. I tried tying the door to the towel rack and she went ballistic trying to close it..She turns into Mr Hyde when in there..
    OMG. I totally misunderstood the post. I'm sitting here truly laughing my arse off.... I know it's naughty but man, that's funny. She has made the bathroom her own, private space NOT to be invaded!! hahahahahahaha OK. It's unacceptable for her to do that, of course. (But it's still funny)

I would simply redirect her from that area. Put a baby gate in front of the bathroom door so she cannot go in there and "claim" the space. As Twice suggested, provide her her own "time out" place - a crate will work best - but a bed or blanket in an out of the way spot that is always available to her, will surely help. No more bath room time for Stomper.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

well first off, nice to see you around here @Aqualung! For the food, I agree cut it back to 3/4 cup 2x a day. Use a measuring cup and level it off while dieting. Supplement with a big handful of frozen green beans as a 3rd meal or something else she likes similar. Cutty was getting pudgy when we first started on fromm grain free and I too was feeding like a cup a feeding. He lost his weight gradually and now the vets are all happy when they see him, saying they rarely see a good, fit bulldog. He now eats a heaping 3/4 cup to maintain and it seems to be working out well for him. Miila is almost 2 and was eating the same amount as Cutty since she is younger (weighs about 38 pounds) but her little tum tum is a bit round now so I have now cut her back to a level 3/4 cup scoop since she is just done growing and all.
    You have gotten great advice as far as the aggression too so not much else to add but maybe keep the bathroom door closed so she cant go in? I would just keep on top of her and NOT let her have the bathroom at all anymore since that is her trigger. Eventually she will give up on trying after MUCH consitency.

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@Aqualung - How's things with Stomper?

By the way, everytime I read your name in posts, I start singing that Jethro Tull song in my head. Thanks for that. hahahahaha

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stomper
    Likes (Received)

@ Vicaroo.. I'm just sitting here on the park bench!!!
    As for Stomper....She is mostly well behaved .. We just have to be careful when entering the bathroom and not let her sneak in ....

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@ Vicaroo.. I'm just sitting here on the park bench!!!
    Yesterday, in an effort to get Aqualung out of my head, I started "brain singing" Locomotive Breath. I'm still freaking singing it in my head. Ugh. I need to find my iPod.....

The good news about tackling this issue with Stomper head on is that the behavior modification re: the bathroom door is sure to have a ripple effect to other challenges there might be. A dog obsessed with the bathroom that is simply denied the bathroom, might find other things to be possessive about.

I've been listening to the whole Jethro Tull album on my blackberry when i take the dogs out for a walk. Shows you how old i am!!

Yes - this is territorial aggression. My big (but not fat) bully would bite me when i would try to get him off my bed OR when i would try to put him outside. I bought a book that is helpful PLUS i'm takiing him to basic obedience classes this week. The book is "Final Hope - Gaining Control of your Aggressive Dog". by Joubert. Actually - this might be dominance aggression too - i decided MY dog was dominant aggressive since he would not let me "boss him around."

This is my current protocol for my dog biting me. His bites are powerful but i just love this boy and think he can be rehabbed.

Per this book: 1. Teach him obedience commands.

2. No sleeping on my bed.
    3. He only gets ONE toy.

4. I don't give him any love or affection unless he is being praised for doing a command correctly./

5. NO treats unless after a command done well.

More complicated than this but this is in chapter 11 on Dominance Aggression - i.e. he thinks he's on the same level as me.

There's also another well-respected book on dog aggression - expensive though - i bought it used. "Aggression in Dogs" by Aloff.

PS - One of by EB's has a strong food drive - what i mean is - she WANTS to be fat. Frankly, i'm just tough on her - fat dogs are a bad thing - bad for them and a real waste of resources - give your extra food from Scamper to the local shelter (just making a point there)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stomper
    Likes (Received)

Well I am at my breaking point with her... 4 am this morning she was waiting outside the bathroom door and rushed in when I opened it..I am at the point of having to get rid of her..Had to open the door with a pole she she could not attack me..That took about 15 minutes to do..She was jumping up and trying to bite the door knob and the pole.. Finally got her out luring her with a treat and Whos coming to break her concentration.. This will break my heart,but it has to be done.. I called a trainer listed on the Bulldog website that is local.. I am awaiting his call back.. I'm hoping he can cure this behavior or there is no other choice..I'm heartbroken that it might come to this...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well I am at my breaking point with her... 4 am this morning she was waiting outside the bathroom door and rushed in when I opened it..I am at the point of having to get rid of her..Had to open the door with a pole she she could not attack me..That took about 15 minutes to do..She was jumping up and trying to bite the door knob and the pole.. Finally got her out luring her with a treat and Whos coming to break her concentration.. This will break my heart,but it has to be done.. I called a trainer listed on the Bulldog website that is local.. I am awaiting his call back.. I'm hoping he can cure this behavior or there is no other choice..I'm heartbroken that it might come to this...

bringing a trainer into the home and having them see her in action is the best way to address this issue. It will be a lot of work to break, but once the trainer identifies the trigger of her sudden aggression to the door, you will be able to handle her.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stomper
    Likes (Received)

We are hoping he can identify her problem.. This is a last resort thing for us....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

I think a personal trainer is a great idea...but you have to be willing to work with them. The trainer is going to tell you behaviors or training tips that you need to work with your dog on a daily basis.
    Did you practice any of the suggestions users posted?
    I know you're stressed and this situation sucks for you..but from reading the above posts, everyone has offered very similar advice and I'm assuming your dog trainer will come up with his/her own solution based on the same ideas. Maybe I'm wrong, but have you changed any of her available options? Does she have a crate/blanket/bed or special toy to keep her away from the bathroom? You can't expect her to stop if you don't put a HUGE amount of effort into redirecting her from the bathroom every single time and eliminating the issue (as opposed to fighting with her). I know it's a pain, but you can't just try to push past her because it's 4am and you don't feel like putting the effort into stationing her on the bed before you use the bathroom.

I am sympathetic to your problem, I feel for you that you have to deal with a hard training situation and I really hope you can work this out. Maybe others will disagree, but you took on a responsibility with a dog and sometimes they need extra love and training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads